TPMS sensor meltdown

Yeah, it's two lights plus the iMid. I swear the TPMS light itself looks like a butt crack (that's by the tach). The first time I saw it (on my Corolla) I was totally shocked... I had no idea what it was supposed to be! Then there's an ! on the upper console by the speedometer, and of course the iMid screen, which keeps coming back at you. Oh, and the TPMS light itself blinks for a long time after you start the car.

I recently was on vacation for a week, and when I came back, I had a bunch of idiot lights and an iMid warning "CHECK EMISSIONS SYSTEM." It went away after a couple of days... no idea what that was about, but equally as annoying.

Update... got the Quickset tool. It does have the 2012 Civic listed in the options where you set up your car. I was able to get the #s from the winter wheels, so now I just need to get the #s from the OEM wheels. Once I get those, I can type them into the Quickset tool and send them to the ECU. The vt15 doesn't have a display, so it won't give you the #s. I'm going to check the shop that swapped my wheels before, and see if they can get the #s for me. Even if I have to go to the dealership one more time, it's $50 to have them reprogram the #s one more time, then I can read them with the Quickset tool, and make the swaps myself from here on out.

I got the Quickset tool from Revolution Supply. It was right around $170 with shipping and all. 4 swaps, and it will pay for itself. Plus, no more donations to the dealership. :)

Thank you for updating. Let us know how it goes at the shop

Question..I'm attempting to install my OEM TPMS sensors on to my TE37's, if they will work will they need to be re-activated at the dealership or should they start working once they've recharged while driving?

Yup, started working about 2 min after I left the shop...so nice getting rid of that annoyingness!

From the beginning of reading this thread, all I could think was that there should be a way to have a duplicate sensor that would mirror the factory ones and that the ECU would be none the wiser. Guess that's what the Bartec would kinda do. I'm system admin (IT), so it made sense in theory. Maybe I can device something to do what Honda does. A little program. run from a laptop? Lol.

Good thing for this thread... Got the "check emissions system" light again tonight and was looking it up to see what it might be, found this old post where it happened to me before! Anyone got ideas as to what might cause it?

Im confused. Everyone on here that is upset about pricing and getting the sensors reprogrammed is overwhelming. Will the sensors work and not need to be re-learned by the ecu if they are swapped to a new wheel all at once in the same day? Something tells me that everyones second set of wheels arent using the sensors and they drive on them that way for months then try to bring the sensors back into play. If the sensors will work by swapping them , why dont they just save money on a set tires and tell whoever swaps the tires to new wheels to also swap the sensors. Unless not using the same size wheels which doesnt involve me. Just my two cents and it would cost but maybe $10 more to swap the sensors. Could someone clear this up for me?

Some tire shops supposedly won't swap the sensors to new rims for fear of breaking them. At least that's what others have said in various threads. Most of the complaints stem from having a second set of wheels/tires that people want to swap out in the winter/summer. They just want to take the lugs off their summer wheels and throw their winter wheels on. If you do that, you'll have the tpms error. It's not a matter of how long you leave them off. You could go a year with a tpms error and put the original wheels with tpms sensors on without issue. The car would recognize the proper sensors and remove the tpms error.

Some tire shops supposedly won't swap the sensors to new rims for fear of breaking them. At least that's what others have said in various threads. Most of the complaints stem from having a second set of wheels/tires that people want to swap out in the winter/summer. They just want to take the lugs off their summer wheels and throw their winter wheels on. If you do that, you'll have the tpms error. It's not a matter of how long you leave them off. You could go a year with a tpms error and put the original wheels with tpms sensors on without issue. The car would recognize the proper sensors and remove the tpms error.

webby with the unintentional pun!

I'm not sure if the 9th gen sensors system is the same as 8th but on my 2008 si all I do is clear the code and drive 40mph+ for a few minutes and it calibrates itself. I'm really confused why you guys are needing a special tool to do it. If you have the equipment to clear codes you should be able to do your tpms. I work at a dealership body shop and I talked to a few techs on the service side and for this type of system that's all they do.
I really wish out system was like Buick, it automatically calibrates itself when it senses a new sensor.

I'm not sure if the 9th gen sensors system is the same as 8th but on my 2008 si all I do is clear the code and drive 40mph+ for a few minutes and it calibrates itself.
That will work if you have the original sensors in the car. It won't work if you put a new set of sensors on a 2nd set of wheels.

I have 3 sets of wheels, all with their own tpms sensors and I never had any issues doing this when swapping wheels

Back