TPMS sensor meltdown

ethlar - I'm kind of thinking along those lines... having the OEM wheel sensors reinitialized, and then ignoring the idiot lights when the winter wheels are on. I wonder how difficult it would be (if I'm switching the wheels myself) to just swap the sensors from one set of wheels to the other, as another option. I'm honestly tempted to just buy the stupid tool and reprogram the thing myself everytime. It's only $160 for that tool, which would pay for itself after only 3 swaps. Problem is, I still need the stupid numbers off the sensors, which means I also need the $110 tool.

I especially like your last idea. :) I'm not sure how realistic that would actually be though. Heh.

I have a 06 so no tpms sensors for me, but i remember reading the last one somewhere as a suggestion for dealing with them.

Switching the tpms sensors yourself would be challenging since you have to dismount the tire from the wheel to get at them

nevermind webby beat me to it

Well, maybe I'll drink a few beers, then start ordering stuff. :) A bit expensive, but much less painful than removing tires from wheels (which defeats the purpose of having entirely different set of wheels/tires). Why, oh why, does this have to be so difficult?

very nice. I don't think I've seen a full blown diy before. I've just read about people saying it was an option.

heres a link to a yaris site that did the pvc thing,

http://www.yarisworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33493

i also read about it on a mustang site where they just tossed the 4 sensors in the tube and closed it up with a valve stem in the cap

Someone said on another site that it won't actually work because the sensors actually have to go around on a wheel. :) The system would probably be horribly confused if they just bounced around a lot.

i hadnt heard that, my understanding was that they worked sorta like a rfid system, and their movement had nothing to do with how they work

ok i did some reading through the 8th gen service manual, the accelerometer in the sensors is just so they send a pressure update when the vehicle speed passes 28mph, but they also send a pressure update when the tpms control box first turns on and says "where my tires at"

http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-generation-ge-08-present/54061-tpms-light-bye-bye.html
pvc build, but then a later update -
sorry guys been working alot, tpms came back on, the wheels need to be spinning there is a battery inside of the sensor that turns off when it stops spinning
frown.gif
i tried lol sorry for the late update, just lefted the light on lol i got used to it

i guess from an engineering stand point it makes sense dont want them constantly broadcasting, damn honda thinking of everything.

im also looking at the wiring diagrams and wondering if something like the alternative from the yaris site with a power switch on the tpms controller could be rigged. But that would take someone so bugged by the lights to want to take snips and a soldering iron to a brand new car

I'm getting there. :) Give me a few more weeks of the lights. (Is there some reason that I need THREE different warning lights???)

Here's another idea. How about I build a trailer, put the winter wheels on it, and pull it behind my Civic? Then I would have the TPMS sensors rolling and the wheels would be in the proximity of the vehicle so it could register that they are there? Or, perhaps I could build a "dually" Civic - then I could run both sets of wheels at once! Wow... this is getting SO pathetic. ;)

Maybe I could just put the winter wheels on and leave the car in the garage... and buy the old Del Sol that I want. That sounds like a really good idea!

so is the idea with the bartec ones that you could essentially clone the identifier from your summer wheels onto the winter wheels so the car doesnt realize theyre different?

yeah, you could clone it to your oem sensor, and then swap between winter/summer wheels without having to reprogram anything. It's an interesting idea...

Yes, but I haven't seen an actual price for the sensors, they would have to replace the sensors that are already on one of the existing sets of wheels (which means removing the tires and rebalancing everything), and the dealership would have to set them to the same ID #, if they would actually be cooperative and do so. The other option is that you could get the Bartec tool and program the sensors with the cloned ID, but again, the tires would still have to come off to swap the sensors and be rebalanced and all.

fortunately there are always people looking for tpms sensors out there so i doubt youd be stuck with 4 sensors you cant move if you went that route. As for finding a cooperative dealer you might have to shop around some are more willing to do stuff like that than others

I'm still more inclined to go the "Quickset tool" route. We'll see... how quickly I do something about all of this depends on how annoyed I get with the lights. :)

im amused they went to 3 lights plus iMid now, my brothers 08 has two lights for the system, a check pressure and a tpms fault light

Back