What are you having for dinner?

Only had a couple of the ribs, handed one rack over to the neighbors and the other went to my brother

I think some of the brisket leftovers are turning into kimchi-brisket mac and cheese later

IMG_7424.jpegIMG_7425.jpegIMG_7427.jpeg

Everything looks so good.

Attempting a brisket for the second time. I fortunately the one I got from the butcher was cut in a square which I didn't know until I got home because it was a cut he already had. I rounded the corners a bit and threw it on the Weber. Going to cook it for about 9 hours at 250-300F till it reaches about 200F and probes tender, then over night I'm the overnight wrapped up at 170 because that's as low as it goes.

thats a interesting cook profile, are you going to supplement any extra fat for the overnight?

thats a interesting cook profile, are you going to supplement any extra fat for the overnight?
Following a YouTube recipe.
Should I supplement? I see lots of people use beef tallow but I'm not sure if I can get that.

Dammit. I can make it out of the trimmings form the brisket. I'll have to take them out of the compost. Hopefully I can save some.

i keep a tub of tallow for briskets and it definitely helps, but ive never tried a overnight hold at 170 like that before

i keep a tub of tallow for briskets and it definitely helps, but ive never tried a overnight hold at 170 like that before
Apparently lots of restaurants do that to keep it warm before serving but I've seen a few recipes holding it for like 12 hours at 150 to 170 in the oven.

i toss mine in a cooler for 4 hrs to do the same

i toss mine in a cooler for 4 hrs to do the same
Yes. I tried that last time. I know it works but Im pretty sure I didnt cooke the last one hot enough. I think I took it off the smoker at like 170 and didn't get it up to 200ish. Figured letting it hold on the oven over night can't hurt.

oh yea you definitely want to keep it on the smoker till you get around 195-210 depending on the particular brisket, i go by that probe feel

oh yea you definitely want to keep it on the smoker till you get around 195-210 depending on the particular brisket, i go by that probe feel
I was 9 hours in and getting impatient.tonight it felt tender so I let it rest and cool to about 170ish then threw it in the oven.

So now my house smells like brisket all night.

Well that turned out amazing. Little dry on one end. Probably won't do the over night oven next time. I think I could have left it on the bbq a bit longer and just hold it in a cooler for a few hours. But still way better than my first.
PXL_20230402_105032152.jpgPXL_20230402_105128730.TS_exported_4768_1680433320422.jpg

looks great to me, and there are worse things to have the house smell like

What is everyone doing for dinner? Wife has plans with her mom tonight for dinner. I'm on my own lol

Back