What are you having for dinner?

whats the sauce youre using, my brown sauce was kinda eh

the chicken is dredged in corn starch then cooked in oil...removed

The sauce ...I make it using oil, and 2 large cloves of garlic (or more ;) )...a good healthy amount of powdered ginger...cook that a bit, then throw in about 2tbsp or so of soy sauce...then throw in some honey and/or brown sugar...stir well and then throw in the chicken and broccoli and you're basically heating up the chicken and steaming the broccoli

I throw in a little bit of water if needed (to the sauce while cooking)...I taste the sauce as I go and add as I see fit.
I'll look at a recipe initially sometimes...but never follow it.

ahh, thats what ive been skipping on, the dredging the chicken pieces, so the sauce never sticks to stuff as nicely as you get there

ahh, thats what ive been skipping on, the dredging the chicken pieces, so the sauce never sticks to stuff as nicely as you get there
The corn starch dredging is awesome..it gives it that velvety texture like you'd find at a Chinese restaurant.
Robert loves it.

DSCN2041.JPG DSCN2040.JPG
Working on a chili at the moment, started with soaking 2 cups of red kidney beans in 8 cups of water last night, then drain them off, add fresh cold water, cooking them, draining them off and adding one large can of crushed tomatoes ( no salt added ), one smaller can of diced tomatoes with red peppers and onions, one large orange bell pepper, a teaspoon of anise seed, a tablespoon of black pepper and 1 1/2 pounds of locally raised beef without hormones or antibiotics ( free range ), lean ground in store, from cow to stovetop in under 48 hours.

This local Italian grocery store has been in the business for 80 years, and their meats are always fantastic. The lean ground beef is lean enough that you have to take care in browning it at lower temperatures, otherwise it will burn, there is zero fat to drain off.

Still have to add a few cloves of garlic, some carmalized onion, and salt and pepper to taste. I haven't run out to the store yet today.

Last edited:
My attempt at chicken in brown sauce
2013-02-25195527_zpsa505320a.jpg

no idea, made it up as i went along
2013-02-26195605_zpsa3bc17c4.jpg

Garlic panko baked chicken salad
2013-03-05194539_zpsef544d08.jpg

it was pretty good, im still fiddling with my brown sauce recipe, good eye on the water chestnuts and mini corn, no bamboo shoots though, couldnt find any in the cabinet. I ran a quick knife over the chestnuts but missed a few

Gotcha! I love the bamboo shoots. It's all about personal preferences I think. My sauce will taste completely different to yours.
My tomato sauce (from family recipe) is completely different from my mother's...which is different from her parents..which is also different than great-grandparents LOL

Back