What kind of oil is everyone running?

silver04v

So just seeing what everyone is running for oils.
I've always used Mobil 1 in my Boosted Sentra, not sure if I want to use it in my new si.

Also want to research this since I'm seeing the 2.4 can have oil burning issues. I just checked mine at 700 miles and she's spot on. Guessing I will let the 15% warning light before the first oil change.

This goes against everything I've ever done with oil changes.
But I will listen to Honda.

I'm thinking of just using Honda synthetic since the dealership I work for can get me discounts with our sister Honda store. Does Honda sell a synthetic 0w20? Should I go synthetic in this motor or stay with the blend? I believe I read it has a blend now from the factory?
Opinions welcome, thanks!

The oil from the factory has a special additive package to help with engine break in which is why you should run it for the amount of time they say to. After that run the 0W-20. The maintenance minder is nice but I don't fully trust it. I'd recommend a full synthetic. If you can get a deal on oil and it hits both those points, RUN IT!

A lot of people like Mobil 1.
I've done some reading and I think Castrol EDGE is a very good oil as well.
I use semi-synthetic as that is what is spec'ed for my R18. Valvoline MaxLife. Im over 70K.

I've heard mix reviews on the additive that's supposedly in the factory oil. Some saying its just from the engine lube used in assembly?
Guess I'll see what I can get at honda for full synthetic.
Still interested in seeing what others are using and having luck with in their 2.4s.
No oil burning, etc.

I just took my si in for the 2nd oil change last weekend. I used to always do it myself, but now I just take it to the dealership and let them do it. Just make sure you specify 0w20 fully synthetic as the first dealership I went to put in 5w30. I guess maybe that was all they had, so they just used that- I was kinda pissed but figured it probably would'nt hurt anything. Lesson learned, just ask and make sure they have the 0w20 on hand. I was also surprised it was only 39.95. Not bad for synthetic oil change.

Reactions: Nix
Yeah sometimes a used oil analysis will reveal high levels of particular metals being burned off or used up in the inital break in period. Sometimes they are just present in the oil you use.

Toyota has a very aggressive additive pack also.

I'm guessing you have a '13 from you Avatar? If so no oil burning issues. The factory oil that was put in it on del' has some Moly' in it that should stay as long as possible for "running-in"(breaking in- sounds so destructive). I like Mobil 1 , that's what was on my 1st and 2nd service record, and I'm changing oil and filter at 5000 intervals.

Also want to research this since I'm seeing the 2.4 can have oil burning issues.

You should have no issues, as you have a 2013. The oil burning issue applied to a small range of vin #'s off the 2012's.

edit - monk beat me to it

Last edited:
I've heard mix reviews on the additive that's supposedly in the factory oil. Some saying its just from the engine lube used in assembly?
Guess I'll see what I can get at honda for full synthetic.
Still interested in seeing what others are using and having luck with in their 2.4s.
No oil burning, etc.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1372643474.628880.jpg

You should have no issues, as you have a 2013. The oil burning issue applied to a small range of vin #'s off the 2012's.

edit - monk beat me to it
That's what I figured. I read about that, was unsure if it was more of a problem though. That's good to hear though.

and here is the blend....

vVMQzth.jpg

If you have a dealership do your change, I'd ask what they're using. I've seen some users comment that their dealership put 5-20 in their cars, because "that's what they had on hand".

and here is the blend....

vVMQzth.jpg

If you have a dealership do your change, I'd ask what they're using. I've seen some users comment that their dealership put 5-20 in their cars, because "that's what they had on hand".

Yup you're right about that! I actually buy my Ultimate Full Synthetic and go to my Acura dealer with my quarts and have them do it since I know the service adviser there and have had a good rapport with him now for the better part of 12 years now. They're actually cheaper on service than my local Honda dealer go figure?! They were 30 dollars more on TPMS reset than Acura!!

My dealer is using Mobil 1(0w-20) from a barrel(bulk). Which is fine with me, as I like it, but if I were buying it I'd have bought the Honda oil, and move to Honda synthetic after I get about 20k miles on it. (just the way I've been introducing synthetics to my engines for years).

Mobil super 5000 5w-20 with a Mobil filter...

Prob one of the few non-synthetic users here...

My car is currently at 30% oil life left on my 2013 civic si. Is it tough to do an oil change on the 9th gens? As I was talking to a few people with the 8th and they said it was a pain in the *** for them. I did get a coupon in the mail from my Honda dealer giving me a free wash and oil change, so maybe after that one I'll start doing my own. I kinda just want to do it myself already so I know exactly what is being put into my car.

Back