Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Scalpel is complete. First ride tonight!

Pics are pre-shifter cable install

Last edited:

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Bike looks sick man! Gotta run those Hope hubs eh? Little bit of home?

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Yessir! It was that or a DTswiss but I liked the red. LOL - King was too pricy for my use..

Last edited:

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Had a few delays.. finally got to ride it tonight. The weather tried to stop me, but nope!

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Rides really nice. I only like the shock in "pro-pedal" mode though. Too much up/down when climbing otherwise.. trails were too wet to push hard. Gotta swap the front tire out with the same as is on the back and try again in the dry. Super smooth though - or was. LOL

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Awesome man! Pro-pedal is nice. I like it a lot. Is that an RP23 with the 3 position switch? I think I have the same shock. I can't quite see.

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
<< This kid is shopping for a mountain bike. The roadie is nice but I live in the Mecca of mountain bike trails here in the NW. The neighbors have been bugging me for a year and a half. Time to cave to their not so subtle recommendations and get one to check out what I'm missing out on.

Reactions: Nix

FooBird

Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
If you have an idea on budget, some of the pros here could point you towards the best bang for your buck, or what to look for.

A grand should suffice. Not looking for something too special at this point. A nice quality entry bike.

FooBird

Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I don't doubt it. There are a lot of nice bikes those guys have shared in hereS

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
For $1000 there are a lot of bikes to choose from. I would suggest staying away from any full suspension bike under that price though. There have been some very good deals in the $12-1500 range but 1k and just under are generally a very big sacrifice. Hardtails are a great way to get into MTB and see if you really like it, what type of riding you really like, and what you want or need out of your bike.

I would recommend you check out some of the local bike shops and start talking to the guys there and see what they recommend. Find a place where the sales people are knowledgeable but also friendly and willing to just spend time talking with you about the different bikes they have.

There are a lot of "hybrid" and "cross" bikes out there right now that are very capable but are a mix of road and light trails. If you are seriously thinking about getting into MTB stick to one labeled as a mountain bike. The standard 26" wheel is being considerably replaced by the newer 29" wheels. Larger wheels are faster and roll better over obstacles. I don't particularly like the feel of the 29" but that is something where a decent test ride of both wheel sizes will be something you need to check out for yourself.

With your budget I would recommend a hardtail in the $500-600 range. Maybe even up to $700 if there is something just around there. It will get you out of the entry level components and into some better feeling drivetrains, wheel sets, and suspension forks. A great entry level bike can be had for around $400 but if you have the budget a small step up in price can yield a much more enjoyable experience.

I did a quick search of your area:

Petersens - They carry Felt Bikes. The Six series looks decent. The Six70 and Six80.

They also have Rocky Mountain. I didn't see pricing but perhaps either the Edge, Flare, or Vapor might be in your range just based on the builds I saw.

Gerks - They carry specialized. They should have a ton of bikes to check out from $400-700. definitely a good place to check out as well. I have several specialized and sold them for quite a few years. They will probably have the same model with both 26" and 29" wheels. A great way to get a feel for the different sizes.

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Agreed with the hardtail. You can't get a decent FS for that price. You end up with a sub-par bike to a HT of similar price, with poor shocks and components.

If you're not in a rush, a lot of the '14s are coming out in the next month or two.. that's when they'll drop the price of the '13s and any extra '12s left over even further.

P.S Nix have you ridden a 650b?