Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

Nine Point Five Gen

Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
I scored a KILLER deal on this new 2013 Mavic Ksyrium Elite S wheelset (tires included) for $400 shipped!

(Retail $800 to $950)

Last edited:

Br3TT

i need a new set of wheels for my bike and a front fork, its perfect riding weather here in az and I'm missing it :(

FooBird

If the Foo...well, you know. Just wear it.
Kirkland, WA
Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
i need a new set of wheels for my bike and a front fork, its perfect riding weather here in az and I'm missing it :(
I have a set if cheap wheels I wanna make my "trainer" wheels. So, I would be in the market for a new set that way I'm not swapping tires when I wanna ride on my stationary trainer or to take it out on the road.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I'm still waiting to send my suspension in for rebuilds. I have two blown rear shocks and a POS E160 Specialized fork that has to go in for a rebuild also. I currently hate all my bikes. The only one that works is ancient. The Spesh fork at least is going to be cheap and the offer an "S" tune for it now since so many people had problems with it. Even with 10+ years of working in a shop I can't tackle this thing. Rear seals are a pain and I could do it but I haven't got space or time for it anymore. Also no access to a few nice tools anymore.

Blah. Oh well, if the weather warms up a bit more at least I can take the old bike out and start getting back in shape for spring. I don't mind looking bad on an old beater. I hate being on a super bike and looking like a tool with more $$ than brains. Hahaha.

Nine Point Five Gen

Vehicle Model
Si
Body Style
Coupe
Seems like it's time for you to reduce the overhead and eliminate the headaches to spring for a new mt. carbon, at least you'll LOOK like you know what you're doing till you grow into it. heh

I'm still waiting to send my suspension in for rebuilds. I have two blown rear shocks and a POS E160 Specialized fork that has to go in for a rebuild also. I currently hate all my bikes. The only one that works is ancient. The Spesh fork at least is going to be cheap and the offer an "S" tune for it now since so many people had problems with it. Even with 10+ years of working in a shop I can't tackle this thing. Rear seals are a pain and I could do it but I haven't got space or time for it anymore. Also no access to a few nice tools anymore.

Blah. Oh well, if the weather warms up a bit more at least I can take the old bike out and start getting back in shape for spring. I don't mind looking bad on an old beater. I hate being on a super bike and looking like a tool with more $$ than brains. Hahaha.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Hehe, all the blown stuff is on my carbon 2010 S-Works Enduro. My beater is a 96' GT Timberline. Nice little Cro-Mo hardtail.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Jeez I wanna ride so bad! Call me when it's 75 and sunny.

So I move from upstate NY to KY thinking extended riding season. Sort of. The town I grew up in just got one of the best indoor bike parks in the country. Yeah. Awesome. Stuck in snowy cold mid-south-north-east and my boring hometown gets this!

The shop I used to work at put in a small shop there so with "employee" status I got to ride free a few times last year. Even got to ride the 2 days before they officially opened. Pretty awesome. The paint wasnt even dry yet. Definitely missing it right now. The place is smooth as hell too. Everything flows and is spaced perfectly.

CRANX - just got a huge write up on pinkbike.
http://www.pinkbike.com/news/The-Great-Indoors-cranx-bike-park-2014.html

My keytag: I think it still scans for free rides too!

Last edited:

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Currently 13F

High of 63 Sunday. That's nearly 75?

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Hahahah almost. I know it's close. Maybe end of Feb will be warm enough. I'm not a hardcore year round rider. I'll admit im weak to riding in the cold.

Oh and since im on PB... the new Hope DH team bike is a re-badged Specialized Demo. It even still says specialized by the BB.

Monk

SW Virginia
Vehicle Model
2012 Civic EX
Body Style
Coupe FG3:ASM
Beautiful Bike........... Riding in the cold is all about having the right gear to wear, at least that's what I hear.......

Br3TT

Hahahah almost. I know it's close. Maybe end of Feb will be warm enough. I'm not a hardcore year round rider. I'll admit im weak to riding in the cold.

Oh and since im on PB... the new Hope DH team bike is a re-badged Specialized Demo. It even still says specialized by the BB.

:drooling: thats my next purchase is a dedicated down hill bike

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Beautiful Bike........... Riding in the cold is all about having the right gear to wear, at least that's what I hear.......
It is. I'll ride down to 20F. Anything below that and I don't have good enough shoe covers to protect me. Some of the northern guys commute in the single digits or negative though - they are nuts.

It's all about layering. I wear a good base layer, a mid jacket and a wind barrier and that keeps me warm to the above temps.

:drooling: thats my next purchase is a dedicated down hill bike

Once I actually find a job (ugh) I would like to get a big travel bike.. IDK about DH specific but I do quite fancy the Intense Carbine 275.

Br3TT

Once I actually find a job (ugh) I would like to get a big travel bike.. IDK about DH specific but I do quite fancy the Intense Carbine 275.
my all around bike isn't terrible but we have some insane downhill stuff here where my 150 travel isn't enough

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
@Br3TT :
Honestly man, if you're thinking of getting a DH bike, shop for a Specialized Demo. I've ridden a ton of DH bikes over the years and it is one of the best feeling bikes. It's actually really scary because I've never found a magic part that made me faster but the new Demo, holy crap. I definitely almost crashed more than once on some local trails cause I was going way faster than usual and was able to carry more speed.

I know one of the guys I used to work with raced pro for a long time and he said it was awesome feeling but just a bit too heavy for him. Hes now riding a Devinci Wilson Carbon. Hahahah. Hes got hookups. The aluminum version is only $3700 which isnt bad for a serious DH rig. The new Demo is $4400.

I have also ridden the GT fury quite a bit. Very nice but I felt like the bike sat too high for my liking. Its definitely a great deal at $3300 for the "base" model. Some low spec components, X5 triggers and such, but a very capable frame/fork combo. The iDrive setup pedals the best though. Very separated drivetrain from suspension/brake forces.

Trying to build one costs just waaaay too much. I did it once. Never again. And that was with a shop discount. To do it cheap, buy the cheapest one that has the frame you want and swap parts as they break.

The Giant Glory is overpriced for being a "Kona" that you can get for a lot less.

Kona Carbon Operator is $3999. Beast of a deal but I haven't ridden a lot of Konas. They get good reviews generally but I think their 4-bar link is a pretty old design. It does work though and at less than $4k its a steal for a carbon frame.

What do your local shops carry?

Br3TT

@Br3TT :
Honestly man, if you're thinking of getting a DH bike, shop for a Specialized Demo. I've ridden a ton of DH bikes over the years and it is one of the best feeling bikes. It's actually really scary because I've never found a magic part that made me faster but the new Demo, holy crap. I definitely almost crashed more than once on some local trails cause I was going way faster than usual and was able to carry more speed.

I know one of the guys I used to work with raced pro for a long time and he said it was awesome feeling but just a bit too heavy for him. Hes now riding a Devinci Wilson Carbon. Hahahah. Hes got hookups. The aluminum version is only $3700 which isnt bad for a serious DH rig. The new Demo is $4400.

I have also ridden the GT fury quite a bit. Very nice but I felt like the bike sat too high for my liking. Its definitely a great deal at $3300 for the "base" model. Some low spec components, X5 triggers and such, but a very capable frame/fork combo. The iDrive setup pedals the best though. Very separated drivetrain from suspension/brake forces.

Trying to build one costs just waaaay too much. I did it once. Never again. And that was with a shop discount. To do it cheap, buy the cheapest one that has the frame you want and swap parts as they break.

The Giant Glory is overpriced for being a "Kona" that you can get for a lot less.

Kona Carbon Operator is $3999. Beast of a deal but I haven't ridden a lot of Konas. They get good reviews generally but I think their 4-bar link is a pretty old design. It does work though and at less than $4k its a steal for a carbon frame.

What do your local shops carry?
My everyday bike is a 2012 specialized stumpjumper fsr comp evo and i absolutely love it! i was looking at a canfield jedi as my downhill but i don't know if i can swing that so a demo might be my answer, i have ridden a few demos and they are amazing. local shops here carry just about anything you can think of, even moots titanium bikes! my dad picked up a moots soft tail 29er and it only weighs 20 pounds

Reactions: Nix

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Canfields are sick. I wanted a big fat fatty fat for a long time. The specialized status 2 is only $3400. Decent DH bike. It won't be as fast as a full on race bike like the demo but at $1k less it might be worth a look. Especially if it isn't something you are going to use all the time. The occasional weekend run to a lift access park and that sort of thing.

I frickin love my demo though. The redesign they did in 2011-2012 is so nice. But put a guy like steve peat on an ancient design like the orange patriot, a cantilever beam single pivot, and he will still slay everyone. Ride what you like and what works for you.