ethlar

Grumpy Moderator
Super Mod
Philly
Vehicle Model
TLX 3.5 SH-AWD Tech
Body Style
Sedan
my grandmother drives a red crosstrek, she loves it, i think the interior feels a little cheap compared to the 07 outback it replaced

stilletto

Chicago, IL
Vehicle Model
Volkswagen Golf GTI
Subaru gave me a Forester XT as a rental a few years back. Now THAT was an awesome daily.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

dirtybird222

'
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Why are used Subys so damn pricy???

They really aren't. The lease is up on my wife's 2014 Forester in a couple months so we are starting to shop around. We priced out CR-Vs, Pilots, Forester XTs, Highlanders, 4Runners, etc. A base level Forester XT comes in at a lower price than a CR-V with similar equipment. A well equip crosstrek is right on par with a HR-V, and you can get a decent Outback for less than $30k. I think the STI is overpriced as is the Limited WRX. The wife just needs to decide if she wants a 3rd row or her current car with 70 more ponies.

dirtybird222

'
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
The CVTs are horrible. In the XT I test drove it was nice when you were in the sweet spot of the power band. On our current Foz lease, it does not like the hot summer weather of Florida and long road trips. It's gone into limp mode on me a few times. The dealer re flashed the tcm and its been fine since but its still a crappy piece to a decent car.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
They really aren't. The lease is up on my wife's 2014 Forester in a couple months so we are starting to shop around. We priced out CR-Vs, Pilots, Forester XTs, Highlanders, 4Runners, etc. A base level Forester XT comes in at a lower price than a CR-V with similar equipment. A well equip crosstrek is right on par with a HR-V, and you can get a decent Outback for less than $30k. I think the STI is overpriced as is the Limited WRX. The wife just needs to decide if she wants a 3rd row or her current car with 70 more ponies.
used suby cars tend to really hold their value

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
Reactions: Nix

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
Fiesta ST (FiST)
Body Style
hatch

I was talking more specifically on the WRX.

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
You need better & wider tires!

What tires would you recommend? I have 245 width currently....

I know the Continental DW tires aren't the best summer performance tire but for the price they do the job for me and my daily driving.

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
I have not liked the Conti tires I've driven. I know you don't really get snow but, could you afford a set of high performance summers and a set of all seasons? If thats out of the question the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a decent 3 season tire and a great summer tire. It also does pretty well in wet conditions and should last a good amount of miles. I think they are rated for 40k miles. Whether you get that much out of them depends on how hard you run them obviously but thats a pretty good rating for a tire with that much grip.

I could not believe how nice the Bridgestone RE-11 tires were. The new 71-R is supposed to be even better but man, you will kill them pretty quickly. I think I'm just shy of 15k with mine and they are nearly slicks.

But yeah, like a broken record around here, Michelin PSS. They should give you a lot more grip than those Contis.

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
I have not liked the Conti tires I've driven. I know you don't really get snow but, could you afford a set of high performance summers and a set of all seasons? If thats out of the question the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is a decent 3 season tire and a great summer tire. It also does pretty well in wet conditions and should last a good amount of miles. I think they are rated for 40k miles. Whether you get that much out of them depends on how hard you run them obviously but thats a pretty good rating for a tire with that much grip.

I could not believe how nice the Bridgestone RE-11 tires were. The new 71-R is supposed to be even better but man, you will kill them pretty quickly. I think I'm just shy of 15k with mine and they are nearly slicks.

But yeah, like a broken record around here, Michelin PSS.

We don't get tons of snow but we still do get some. It varies from year to year. Last year we got hit hard in January but before that it was mild. But my concern isn't too much with the snow as the cold weather. Once it drops below 50F the summer/performance tires do not handle that well. So having two sets of wheels/tires is a must. Also I'd rather put my shitty (ugly) '15 WRX wheels on for winter and not have to worry about salt with them lol

Winter: '15 WRX wheels w/ General Altimax Arctic tires (225/45/17) --> (I think I'm swapping these out. They are nice but we don't get enough snow to justify them - Options for nice all seasons that do well in snow too? I was thinking Continental DWS06 tires. I ran DWS back on the Hawkeye and they did well)

Summer: '09 STi BBS wheels w/ Continental DW (245/40/18)

I have heard that the RE71R's are ******* awesome tires especially for autocross but since I daily my car I definitely am not going with them. If I had a crappy set of wheels for autocross that I could just throw them on at the event then that would justify me getting the RE71's. I should go with 17's for autocross anyways. Lighter the wheel the better. lol

I've also heard the RE11's are a nice tire. I use to have the RE070 and RE01's on my '07 WRX and liked them both.

Michelin PSS's are super nice and I was checking them out before I bought the DW's but they were much more expensive.

PSS in 245/40/18 -> Set of 4: $774.20
RE11 in 245/40/18 -> Set of 4: $888.80 (on backorder)
RE71R in 245/40/18 -> Set of 4: $830.32

DW in 245/40/18 -> Set of 4: $609.80

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
The difference in grip is worth the money, especially if you are doing auto-x now. Get the PSS since its a decent balance and won't die as quickly from DD-ing as the others. I DD'ed my RE-11 cause I had to but I also had to know what a tire like that was like to drive on. It was totally worth the cost. I am probably going to get the PSS next since they will last longer with DD duty and the occasional Dragon run. But I am in the market for 2 new cars so.... we will see.

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
The difference in grip is worth the money, especially if you are doing auto-x now. Get the PSS since its a decent balance and won't die as quickly from DD-ing as the others. I DD'ed my RE-11 cause I had to but I also had to know what a tire like that was like to drive on. It was totally worth the cost. I am probably going to get the PSS next since they will last longer with DD duty and the occasional Dragon run. But I am in the market for 2 new cars so.... we will see.

Yeah in retro spec now that I look at the pricing list I posted above... $164.40 difference between PSS and DW should have been a no-brainer.. :/ Oh well.

I'm going to run the DW's until they are down low.

Maybe get PSS's before the Dragon? :thinking:

Reactions: Nix
Status
Not open for further replies.