Official Computer Talk Thread

GSquared

Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Thanks boss, any other suggestions?

Honestly -- I play LoL, it doesn't take that much to max it out graphics or processing power wise. Unless you are playing full blown games like Crysis for example (one of the heaviest graphical games and used to be used for benchmarking all the time) you should be fine with the Intel HD 5000, or an nVidia mobile 700m series (the new ones are quite good I've heard). Other than that things like touchscreen, Windows version (or linux whatever floats your boat), size (15 incher is highly recommended 17 is just too big in my opinion and I use a 13 daily and I find it a little small) Definitely look for any ones with the Haswell processor though (one before this was Ivy Bridge for reference - Ivy Bridge had the HD 4000 graphics so if you see that it is last gen)

Any questions about laptops I'm sure you could post a few here for us to compare that you had been thinking about.

rain91

Vehicle Model
fb6
Body Style
http://soundcloud.com/lazy_rain
i feel like ones with the haswell processors might exceed my price range. i cant really find any laptops with them unless im looking wrong. im on a 15yr old desktop right now so its taking me a bit of time to browse

GSquared

Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
i feel like ones with the haswell processors might exceed my price range. i cant really find any laptops with them unless im looking wrong. im on a 15yr old desktop right now so its taking me a bit of time to browse

I'll check around tomorrow and see if I can find some and link them for you. If I can't it will probably be a waiting game, and at that point it's up to you on what you want to do - wait or just get the Ivy Bridge ones.

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
Thinking about upgrading my video card...

Currently have the following: 2GB MSi HD 6950 Twin Frozr III OC/PE

Not sure what would be a nice upgrade for me. Nothing super expensive. Play BF3 currently and probably BF4 down the road.

GSquared

Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan

If you get a Titan, you have to get 2.

Also if you want a less expensive card a GTX700 series would probably be a decent upgrade. What kind of resolution are you playing on? Do you need more VRAM than 2GB maybe?

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/y-series/y410p/

829 for that Lenovo with a Haswell plus a nVidia GT750M 2GB card. The coupon for it is on the page. Looks pretty nice to me, it's actually cheaper than the one with the non upgraded screen. 1600x900 is the resolution. Only thing is that it is a 14" not a 15"

GSquared

Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
:giggle: my link was just a joke...because it was the highest priced one listed on their site. He said he didn't want something super expensive. ;)

Don't joke about the Titans they will get angry! Really though, they do better in pairs than on their own. I think they got single card outclassed by the high end GTX600 series? (Barely but still...)

DMS24

Nevada, USA
Vehicle Model
EX
Body Style
Sedan
Galaxy brand video cards have been very good to me, the 1 yr warranty becomes a 5 year warranty if you register on their website. :fistpump: (If they still offer that of course).

Edit: Just looked it up, now you get a 3 yr extension for a total of 4 yrs warranty

Last edited:

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Installed

Logitech G930 Wireless Headset

Question on the CPU Cooler... Should I have it as an exhaust or intake? I've read quite a bit of reviews and most say put it as an exhaust. I am going to test it as an intake to see if I get lower CPU temps.

I'm at 36C/31C/31C/32C right now at idle. I used the stock thermal compound that came on the CPU cooler heatsink. I might try to apply some thermal compound I have to see if that will lower the temps.

Last edited:

GSquared

Boca Raton, Florida
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler

Question on the CPU Cooler... Should I have it as an exhaust or intake? I've read quite a bit of reviews and most say put it as an exhaust. I am going to test it as an intake to see if I get lower CPU temps.

I'm at 36C/31C/31C/32C right now at idle. I used the stock thermal compound that came on the CPU cooler heatsink. I might try to apply some thermal compound I have to see if that will lower the temps.

Exhaust is what I would do.

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
It's interesting to note that if you look up any video on xbox/ps3 processor paste reapplication ...they all seem to advise using only as5. At least in the 10+ vids I've seen on them. The last time I bought some at the store, the person checking me out actually said... Ohhh, you're repairing your xbox 360 huh? They seemed shocked when I said, "no".

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
I don't have any of that but I have CM Thermal Compound.... I ran a Prime95 test last night for about 4 hours (stock CPU speeds) and it never went over 55C (CPU).

131° F for the metrically challenged.