Shifting isn't as smooth anymore.

Si23

I have a 2012 si sedan. I got it about a year ago used. When I first got it, shifting was fairly easy and shifts so smoothly. Now when I shift it in gear it's pretty rough, it's not so smooth anymore and I kinda have to push a little harder to put it in gear. Do you guys have any idea what could the problem be?

webby

Administrator
Admin
Toys For Tots
How many miles on it, and have you changed the manual transmission fluid at all? Notchy shifting can usually be fixed by draining and refilling the MTF. Stick with the oem honda fluid, as others have lab tests done with poor results using 3rd party brands.

SlySi

Westchester, N.Y
Vehicle Model
Honda Civic Si
Body Style
coupe
Not to sure about 2012. But when I bought my 2015 Si coupe I hated the shifting from the start, it was rough from the get go. Well that was until I removed the clutch delay valve and now I'm having no issues.

Si23

Well I'm a little over 46k and I'm not sure if the old owner have done any MTF maintenance, but I'll probably do it soon.

Si23

Yeah I'll do a MT fluid change next week and see if it does make a difference. I'm also planning to do CDV but not sure whether I should upgrade the lines

Jake LXer

Jaykwabee and the R18
New York
Vehicle Model
civic
Body Style
sedan
Change the fluid andif that doesn't help check master and slave cylinders for leaks...on my old Mazda 3 my slave was leaking and it was such a pain in the butt to shift

Darkout

Cocoa, FL
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
Coupe
CDV delete with dot4 fluid really livens up the clutch feel. I have not done SS line so I can't say it makes a difference. Do a MTF fluid change asap, 75% probably the issue. My trans diff is grenading and sending particals everywhere inside (no filter to catch them) so I get your same problem every 5k miles. At 15k myself (going to take it in for warranty) and about to change fluid a second time, first one made a WORLD of difference. Pretty sure its the fluid breaking down/particles floating everywhere.

rbruno727

Is this the 5:00 free crack give away?
Saint Petersburg FL
Vehicle Model
2012 ASM FB6
I just changed my MTF last weekend with honda fluid and the shifts feel fresh, I was at 37k miles when I changed it.
The fluid was very dark and of course stinky, I will start changing it 15-20k mile intervals. I too have also removed my CDV.

I had a PRL ss line but removed it because it hung too low and looked like it could rub on the subframe, plus the ss line is really for track when temps build up and swell the small rubber line to the slave. My car only see street use.