What do you do at work? (pics)

bootyluvr

Baltimore, MD
Vehicle Model
2015 Honda Accord EX-L V6
That classroom pic is actually pretty cool. The back where the monitors are attached to flips down giving the students to use as a normal desk. They still use Optiplex GX270 and 790s? I think the latest model is GX990. Limited budget I guess.

Well the 270's should have been replaced a while ago but the Desktop Tech that I replaced didn't have "time" to swap them out so I had to do it... 790's are new for us. We received some 990's in last week.

It's government so they are cheap.

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
anyone work somewhere Finance related? im still slumming in a major i dont like and i thought about maybe try out Finance ...

I've got BS in Finance and do some analysis at work. Worked at a brokerage for a while, too. Questions?

Last edited:

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Not much work experience as of yet but I basically have a BS in Finance. Just working on the second degree before I graduate this summer. It's a neat field, just be sure you know what tract you want to get into beforehand.

rain91

Vehicle Model
fb6
Body Style
http://soundcloud.com/lazy_rain
I was actually just curious on some good in depth background. The different 'tracts' and such. I'm studying construction mgmt and have taken a few courses in it but I don't think its for me.

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
I was actually just curious on some good in depth background. The different 'tracts' and such. I'm studying construction mgmt and have taken a few courses in it but I don't think its for me.

If you get a straight Finance degree, be prepared for financial product sales in the banking, insurance, or brokerage industries. Possibly some accounting or analyst work.
If you couple it with an Econ degree, you can do complex analysis for large companies and brokerages.
If you couple it with an Accounting degree you can also do financial analysis, but probably not at such a complex level as with an Econ background.

Unfortunately, analyst type positions are not easy to come by with just a degree in Finance.

jrotax101 can chime in with more options.

Last edited:

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
My thoughts are with squiggy. I'm doing a finance degree, econ degree and math minor to do something to do with either derivatives/risk management/ financial engineering( plan on doing M.S in this)

I don't like accounting so the financial statement stuff in corporate finance isn't for me.

Last edited:

squiggy

Cartographer
Super Mod
Michiana
Vehicle Model
'12 Civic Si
Body Style
DBP II Coupe
analysis seems more interesting but if you have ANY knowledge of either to share that would be great

Well, both actually. When I was working at a brokerage, the brokers were constantly trying to sell and up-sell. Follow-up requirements for all new clients and potential clients (garnered from various sources) were 1 week, 2 weeks, 1 months, and 45 days. I always thought this was over-kill and would just alienate people. Depending on the type of brokerage, you could be salary, full commission, or somewhere between. It takes a lot of hours and even years to get a decently steady stream of income when on full commission. I had a friend who made $10k (gross) one month and then went on to make NOTHING for four months. Typical commission per month in the first few years tend to be small in relation to the time put in. Expect to work 6 days a week 10 hours a day for the first few years to make $30-45k a year.

As far as analysis, it tends to be tedious solitary work, but can be very rewarding if you like spotting patterns or finding errors/inconsistencies. Right now I am working on a project where we are migrating our Oracle SQL reports to MySQL. For the most part, syntax is 90% the same. However, it still makes it difficult to rewrite them to work correctly. I spent my day verifying that the reports re-written into MySQL were working correctly. I made it through four of them in an 8 hour shift. Lots of repetition and a necessity of understanding, not only how the reports work and are written, but also a thorough understanding of the underlying data.

One of the most important aspects of analysis is having a thorough understanding of the underlying data. Anybody can run the calculations and do the comparisons, but without the thorough understanding of everything pertaining to the data, you would not be an analyst.

In my opinion, having a solid understanding of databases is paramount for a good analyst. Pre-configured reports don't always have all the data you are looking for and combining reports is tedious. Being able to write new reports on the fly will set a good analyst apart from the rest. On top of that, knowing VBA will do the same for analysis work in Excel.

Taffeta 12

Antelope Valley
Vehicle Model
Honda civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
I build this

Which is the center fuselage of this

F35