2012 Civic Si Rev Hang - Software Update

All I know is that the dealership won't do any update for it until it is in their service system database officially.

All I know is that the dealership won't do any update for it until it is in their service system database officially.
They attempted mine but it already had it. Like a buddy of mine says. Its not what you ask for, its how you ask for it ;)

So yesterday the dealer flashed my July 2012 build Si (presumably with one of the later ecu's) with Ver. 3.01.14, dated August 31, 2012. The case mgr handling my matter at Honda NA called me today as promised but had not idea (because it's a tech matter) what that flash does. The service director who personally installed it at the dealership didn't know either. But, to the director's credit, he was frank, and said there's an update, I have no idea what it'll do, Honda doesn't tell us. He spent the first hour of his day, in a suit, crawling in and around the car doing all the tech/mechanic work himself. Promised to find out what the update does by early next week. I'm sure he'll call. Top notch guy . . . . . . . . . Unfortunately, whatever that revision does, it does it obliquely. Rev hang is still there. If anything, the car is slower somehow. I'm told that the car is acting as it was designed to act, the rev hang is normal to these cars, and that the case will stay open into next week until it's established what the rev 3.01.14 was supposed to cure.

In other words, to the extent that one does not like the rev hang that is an integral part of the 2012 Honda experience, he/she is just foofed. Get used to it folks. It is to the tranny, what lite was to the beer.

interested to hear what they claim the difference is/does

I'm not sure I understand. Do you work at Honda? Could my ecu have been flashed with a wrong update? It acts like it was.
wrong update? What's wrong with your car?

i work at acura,you probably have a defect.

So you think it may have needed the update to repair a defect, or it now has a defect because of the update? I guess I really need to press to find out what this update addressed.

wrong update? What's wrong with your car?

after the update, it feels like it bogs down a little under very heavy acceleration. It's not as quick to the redline either. BUt my mpg seem better...maybe just breakin responsible for better mileage.

So yesterday the dealer flashed my July 2012 build Si (presumably with one of the later ecu's) with Ver. 3.01.14, dated August 31, 2012. The case mgr handling my matter at Honda NA called me today as promised but had not idea (because it's a tech matter) what that flash does. The service director who personally installed it at the dealership didn't know either. But, to the director's credit, he was frank, and said there's an update, I have no idea what it'll do, Honda doesn't tell us. He spent the first hour of his day, in a suit, crawling in and around the car doing all the tech/mechanic work himself. Promised to find out what the update does by early next week. I'm sure he'll call. Top notch guy . . . . . . . . . Unfortunately, whatever that revision does, it does it obliquely. Rev hang is still there. If anything, the car is slower somehow. I'm told that the car is acting as it was designed to act, the rev hang is normal to these cars, and that the case will stay open into next week until it's established what the rev 3.01.14 was supposed to cure.

In other words, to the extent that one does not like the rev hang that is an integral part of the 2012 Honda experience, he/she is just foofed. Get used to it folks. It is to the tranny, what lite was to the beer.
Sounds like you're having a good dealer experience. Bravo. I happen to like mine too. But apparently this is outside any of their remedies. At what point to take this grievous issue to Honda N.A. as a group. Class action, anyone?

after the update, it feels like it bogs down a little under very heavy acceleration. It's not as quick to the redline either. BUt my mpg seem better...maybe just breakin responsible for better mileage.

By way of update, Honda will not tell me what the August 31, 2012 update was for. The car seems to be fine now except for the rev hang. There is no interest at any level at Honda to get rid of it. So I'll just learn to live with it. Maybe flash it after its out of warranty.

By way of update, Honda will not tell me what the August 31, 2012 update was for. The car seems to be fine now except for the rev hang. There is no interest at any level at Honda to get rid of it. So I'll just learn to live with it. Maybe flash it after its out of warranty.
you see, that's just it. The RevHang, if fixed when it needs to be fixed (like now) with Hondata -- the only way apparently -- is Honda's way to defraud owners of their warranty. Otherwise, we "live with it". And isn't that wonderful. Live with it.
End of rant. :lemonade::lemonade::lemonade:

you see, that's just it. The RevHang, if fixed when it needs to be fixed (like now) with Hondata -- the only way apparently -- is Honda's way to defraud owners of their warranty. Otherwise, we "live with it". And isn't that wonderful. Live with it.
End of rant. :lemonade::lemonade::lemonade:

three quick shots, gotta love it.

three quick shots, gotta love it.

i cannot wait for Canada to recognize this. I might try to go in on Monday.
So did you have any luck at the dealership with the rev hang porblem???? I asked about it when i had my first oil change.... all i got was a bunch'a " I don't knows' " " never heard of such'a thing " & " If this was an update ,we would have been told about it by now " crap from the counter guy...... All i know is it will be fixed at my next oil change cuz " I HATE THAT REV HANG " ...... i think it sucks'

later ....... Renegademan

Back