Lets Retrofit Some 9th gen UAE Projectors!

Well this is fantastic! in the diy it looked like they had 2 - 2 pin plugs . im wondering what was up with that. was yours like those joshb? Im sure glad we don't have to buy $200 harnesses(thanks anyway I know your in business and have to make money) or $90 plugs(aeromotive) its crazy what people ask for stuff when they know you want it or cant get it elsewhere. im really happy to be part of this forum and to have people help me out to save money or even better put our heads together and solve problems like this. Thanks everyone.

Yes, both of my sockets/plugs are 2 pins. I will be finishing up my harness tonight and posting up some pics.

Tried getting the projector out last night. Can only reach a couple of the screws. TRS told me to wind out the levelers but it was pushing the reflector against the outside housing, and I don't want anything to break. I'll see if I can't score a long or stubby screwdriver to reach it.

Did you get the projector out?
Sure did. It was a pain in the a$$, but I got it. Just finishing up the first light.

Here's a picture of the OEM projector beside the 4G TL projector. They're almost identical, but the reflector bowls are a tad different.

PdYYPA5l.jpg

These cutoff shrouds are also a tad different. They're not interchangeable. The TL one is specific for HID.

xphTIvKl.jpg

Here's a couple pics of the cutoff. They're crappy pics, all I have is my iPhone.

TL Projectors

Fqk8W9ql.jpg

OEM Projectors

99m4uKjl.jpg

It's hard to see, but theres hot spots all over the place in the OEM ones. Both have a 4300k morimoto HID in it. Both have their respective standard glass lenses. Looking at the bowl, I don't think a simple lens swap will get good results. The glass lens in both the TL and the OEM projectors also look identical. If you're wanting to do a retrofit, 4G TL projectors are a direct swap. These use D2S bulbs

I'll write up the way I took them out with some more pics tomorrow.

Thank you for the great pictures! I will be looking forward to seeing them all put back together with the TL projectors.

Good work sir.

Quick question.. Since ill be doing my retros soon.. I'm using DDM tuning h1 hid kit just so I can do the retro and have light... Ill upgrade to morimoto soon, do I need any harnesses or anything? Or will the h1 kit fit the cars plugs? 9006 adapter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Quick question.. Since ill be doing my retros soon.. I'm using DDM tuning h1 hid kit just so I can do the retro and have light... Ill upgrade to morimoto soon, do I need any harnesses or anything? Or will the h1 kit fit the cars plugs? 9006 adapter?

I think you need a 9006 adapter for any HID kit you get. These lights use H11 bulbs

Morimoto is the only kit I know of that uses a 9006 as their standard plug. The H11 kit comes with a 9006 to H11 adapater that I did not have to use.

I think you need a 9006 adapter for any HID kit you get. These lights use H11 bulbs
Morimoto is the only kit I know of that uses a 9006 as their standard plug. The H11 kit comes with a 9006 to H11 adapater that I did not have to use.
Well it's a mini h1 projector with the standard DDM tuning h1 bulb type HID kit... Just not sure if I need a 9006 harness, or the relay for the ballast

A quick run down. I couldn't find a sure fire way to get these projectors out. It took a lot of careful pulling and prying. After you bake the cover off (230 degrees in the oven for about 10 minutes did it for me, 5 more minutes each subsequent time if the sealant starts to set up), unscrew each of the turn signal reflectors and remove them. You should be left with this...

HkkyJfBl.jpg

High beam reflector/inner projector shroud. The outer shroud should be attached to the outer plastic lens.

Remove the rubber sealer (this is after the projector has been swapped, pic is just for reference)

bKXDD5Ql.jpg

so you can access these screws behind the projector. Three in this picture:

XArwpZ9l.jpg

One on the far right:

frZoUGll.jpg

And one up here at the top

5mG2deil.jpg

In order to get to all of these screws, you have to play with the alignment some. In your auto leveler, stick a thinner Phillips head into the top, and unscrew to push the headlight out. It didnt want to come all the way for me. Open the back of the autoleveler and use a pair of pliers to turn the rod the rest of the way in. You'll also have to play with the high beam adjuster bolt too.

Once you remove all the screws, this metal keeper thing has to go. I couldn't get a screwdriver to fit to take the screw out that's holding it, so I bent it out of the way

BfVoKeWl.jpg

Once that's out of the way, the entire projector should be free. If you're taking it out this way, it won't come out in one piece. You need to separate the black lens holder from the reflector bowl. There is a tab at the top and one at the bottom of the projector that clicks in and holds them together.

zfRewBql.jpg

Use a flat screwdriver to push one of them down and separate the two. The HID shroud is sandwiched between them. Then you wiggle them out one at a time. Once they're out, install the TL projectors in reverse, the same way you took the OEM ones out. The screw holes line up 100%

Well it's a mini h1 projector with the standard DDM tuning h1 bulb type HID kit... Just not sure if I need a 9006 harness, or the relay for the ballast

Are you retrofitting your stock headlights, or these projector headlights?

A note on lens swapping

You can swap the lens on both these TLs and the OEM projectors. The OEM ones didn't have the greatest of cutoff, and there were pretty visable hotspots all over the place. So IMHO, solely swapping lenses is a waste of time and $$$. As long as you're this far, you might as well swap for HID specific projectors.

To swap the lenses, there are 3 tabs holding the glass in place

LPVlZ4Xl.jpg

Push rather firmly on one with your thumb, and another with a flat screwdriver, and voila, the glass is out. Stick your new glass in its place, then go get a beer.

This HID shroud I mentioned before, sandwiched between the lens holder and the bowl

xphTIvKl.jpg

This has a lot to do with your color band (the pretty colors you get on your garage door on the edge of your cutoff line)

sTy8k36l.jpg

You can bend it (VERY GENTLY) to get it lined up. it might be pretty good from the get go, but light it up to be sure. Make sure to address this before you put the headlight together, preferably with the projectors separate from the housing.

So it looks like the cutoff and light output for the halogen projectors aren't so great. Anyone have any pics of the HID version? Are the actual projectors different? Or just the wiring that comes with it? I'm looking to do this retro also, but if the HID version is good enough, I might just leave it.

So it looks like the cutoff and light output for the halogen projectors aren't so great.

The hot spots and output will look that way with a HID bulb. The curvature and design of the reflector bowl is designed for a halogen bulb. I'm sure a halogen bulb will look better than the other pic shown above.

The spot is still there, its just not as bright with the halogen bulb in it.

you should do an output shot with the halogen in the same spot you did the others.

Back