Official Computer Talk Thread

I have a friend who's broke AF (even asked for a loan from me last month! ...uh. NO!). She informed me yesterday that her and her boyfriend are going to build an Ethereum mining rig because that's like free money. Me and my buddies looked into building Asic rigs back in 2012 to mine Bitcoin and back then, it didn't make sense (well, until about May/June this eayr). I told her that she's going to need lots of high powered GPUs at minimum and that's going to cost a lot as they're suggesting TOTL cards for mining. They'd be $3000 MINIMUM to hook up the GPUs not adding anything with mobo, processor, RAM, cooling, 1000+ Watt PSU. Add into that, the cost to have a computer running like that at load all the time...

This whole get rich quick with blockchain currency is going a little nuts. I guess it's get rich or die tryin'.

I'm happy with my tiny little rig that's got good power for games and add that NAS rig that I've been putting together the specs for for a while now.

A guy reported recently he bought all of his drugs with bitcoin back in the early days. He calculated if he had kept the bitcoins, he’d have over 120 million dollars worth (this was when bitcoin was around 13,500/coin). It broke above 18k not long ago.

I have a friend who's broke AF (even asked for a loan from me last month! ...uh. NO!). She informed me yesterday that her and her boyfriend are going to build an Ethereum mining rig because that's like free money. Me and my buddies looked into building Asic rigs back in 2012 to mine Bitcoin and back then, it didn't make sense (well, until about May/June this eayr). I told her that she's going to need lots of high powered GPUs at minimum and that's going to cost a lot as they're suggesting TOTL cards for mining. They'd be $3000 MINIMUM to hook up the GPUs not adding anything with mobo, processor, RAM, cooling, 1000+ Watt PSU. Add into that, the cost to have a computer running like that at load all the time...

This whole get rich quick with blockchain currency is going a little nuts. I guess it's get rich or die tryin'.

She didn't realize that she has to put out a good bit of money first before she starts making profits? SMH. I'm sure she didn't think about the electric bill increasing..

The iOS 11.2.2 includes further fixes for the "Meltdown" and "Spectre" vulnerabilities that came to light last week. Meltdown and Spectre are serious hardware-based vulnerabilities that take advantage of the speculative execution mechanism of a CPU, allowing hackers to gain access to sensitive information.

While Meltdown was addressed in the iOS 11.2 update, Apple said it would introduce a mitigation for Spectre early this week. There is no hardware fix for Spectre, so Apple is addressing the vulnerability using Safari-based software workarounds. From Apple's security support document:

qSdYxuO.jpg

In the not so distant past, you could go online and purchase a new video card for MSRP or nearly MSRP. Then came the promise of get-rich-quick by mining your own cryptocurrency through the use of lots of GPUs. Now, afther the run on the market, the purchase of a $500 GPU now costs you $1000 through a third party seller. Graphics cards like that GeForce GTX680 FTW that NOBODY wanted 6-8 months ago for $100 because it was generations old now fetch a price higher than their MSRP from 2012...in refurbished condition.

Things like pre-build gaming computers that have separate GPU hardware are being purchased, stripped of GPU and dumped with the buyers making profits off of the single component that they've stripped out of the machine.

We truly live in interesting days. It was touted that the death of the desktop computer was nigh. It was foolish for those component manufacturers to keep making those parts. Who still wanted 3.5" HDDs? Who still wanted massive GPUs? Who still wanted those cases that nobody other than super geeks whose hobby was to build their own computers? What is this new trend? Individuals purchasing racks, motherboards, processors, multiple GPUs, operating systems.

They're 20 year old baristas. They're 70 year old retirees. They're super nerds, drug dealers, even the 45 year old soccer mom. All in the allure of decrypting block chains, accruing a number of $0.34 "coins", hoping that they too can hit the jackpot and be a multimillionaire when it jumps to $16k/coin.

What a time we live in. Better invest in Nvidia and AMD. What was considered a dying market is now bustling with nothing left on the shelf except dust and second-hand rip-offs.

upload_2018-2-3_11-0-32.png

Thing is, most places have zero inventory in retail. Most online stores are also sold out. Even nvidia shows sold out on a ton of items. Ebay and amazon sellers are jacking prices to the moon.

Thing is, most places have zero inventory in retail. Most online stores are also sold out. Even nvidia shows sold out on a ton of items. Ebay and amazon sellers are jacking prices to the moon.

Even my local Best Buy is sold out of everything except for one lone Radeon rx580 that’s just collecting dust. They had 3 GeForce 1070ti on the shelf. They were all gone a day later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave my 680 to a kid, he wanted to move away from it. Might ask for it back if he's not gonna use it. Lol.

Profits. Except I use my GPU.

you could probably sell yours for 3x what you bought it for

I was looking at 1080's right after Black Friday for around $530 but wanted to wait until after Christmas since I knew I was getting gift cards to microcenter... So I waited and now they are $800+ :-/

I was looking at 1080's right after Black Friday for around $530 but wanted to wait until after Christmas since I knew I was getting gift cards to microcenter... So I waited and now they are $800+ :-/
Like they have stock?

Back