• Landline

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • No Phone

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Windows Phone

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
Don't most phone come with Gorilla glass? except iFail? :giggle:

My contract is up next month and I have no idea what I want to get. I have a Droid 1 now and am pretty tired of it, mainly because I have went through 6-7 in the past year. Kept having speaker problems, could be from my work though metal shavings getting into the speaker and screwing it up. I am debating on the droid razr or the iphone 4s. One of the good things about my phone now is that it worked on my trip to India when the other guys phones wouldn't.

Using an iPhone 4S here myself.

I guess I been loyal to iPhone for last couple generations now.

Siri right now is "ok" but it's not a real reason to get an iphone as it is. It still misunderstand too many things. Also it lacks full app integration right now.
Thankfully apple is great about quick updates all the time (it's how they shine over many of the droids in that regard). They mentioned the Siri app integration update will come out this year.

Once that happens it will start to become a game changer. I already saw early app devs on reddit showing work they are doing to prep for that release now.

For example.. one dev is working on full home voice control integration with all those home automation devices. So you can ask siri to turn your AC on in your house, it comminicates with home automation app... triggers a wifi/bluetooth signal to your smart thermastat and it changes it. Or ask siri to dim lights on and off etc etc.

Or in the car you can have siri set your Garmin Navigon TomTom app directions... or if you use Spotify you can ask siri to find a play a track for you on spotify.

Yea right now siri is junky to me.. but later this year I will be loving it.

For now the 3G+ speed I get off my 4S and the fast dual core processor has me happy I upgraded.

For example.. one dev is working on full home voice control integration with all those home automation devices. So you can ask siri to turn your AC on in your house, it comminicates with home automation app... triggers a wifi/bluetooth signal to your smart thermastat and it changes it. Or ask siri to dim lights on and off etc etc.

That is cool but for most people it would just be another cost to fully use the goodies the phone offers. I wouldn't mind having that myself but right now to me it would be pointless. Im sure in the near future it would be more of a norm for most people.

from what I've read, they use mostly gsm networks there (so att would work). If your coworkers had cdma phone (verizon), it wouldn't work there.

edit - just saw this
http://www.fullstopindia.com/taking-a-trip-to-india-with-an-iphone-4
so the answer is no - verizon iphone won't work there
yes to an att iphone working there

Yeah it was weird, only 1 person had att and it was an iphone 3 and it worked. The rest of us had verizon and I was the only one with service there. One guy had the new iphone and the rest had droids.

which phone do you have?

hard to trust wikipedia totally, but I found a chart saying

Band I (W-CDMA 2100) for cdma is used in India.

droid2 global - supports cdma 2100
droid4 - CDMA800, CDMA1900, LTE B13
droid razr and razr max- CDMA800, CDMA1900, LTE B13 700
droid bionic - CDMA 800, CDMA1900, LTE B13 700
droid 3 - WCDMA 850/1900/2100, CDMA 800/1900, GSM 850/900/1800/1900, HSDPA 10.2
droid 2 - CDMA 800/1900, CDMA 1X/EV-DO Release A
droid pro - 800/1900 CDMA EVDO Rev. A with dual diversity antenna, 850/900/1800/1900MHz GSM,

Most of the world is on GSM. Since the original iphones were att (gsm specific), they could release iphones in quite a few countries. Qualcomm created a dual chip for gsm/cdma so the iphone could be brought to verizon/sprint/& Att.

As for Tmobile -

With the launch of the iPhone 4S, T-Mobile USA is now the only one of the four major U.S. carriers to not offer the iPhone, due in large part to the carrier's use of the Advanced Wireless Services (AWS) spectrum band for its 3G network, a situation that so far would require Apple to develop specific hardware compatible with the network. Some had hoped that the situation would be rectified over time by AT&T's planned acquisition of T-Mobile, but that deal has fallen apart in the face of scrutiny from regulators. “The key reason we didn’t have the iPhone in the past is we are on different band than globally the market was,” Humm said. “That is something which will change over time. Chipsets are also evolving to be able to allow for more bands.”

Back