ProCivic projector matte black LED headlights

Hi,

I am new when it comes to retrofitting my 2012 civic. I am planning to change my projector headlight and i've seen that you guys have already done it. Im planning to install this item(http://www.procivic.com/pages-product_car_part_info/product-1129:2e81a202b331e4531a705f34cb84d79d/index.html), and since some of you folks have done it already, I just have some few questions. Do I need a warning canceler(http://www.protuninglab.com/hiderwacacax.html) if its HID in this kind of projector headlight? if theres no warning canceler, will the HID workout fine or there might be some flickering or worst case not turn on at all? Can i still put a 9006 HID bulb in this kind of projector headlight? Or only H1 bulbs fit in this type? With regards to the HID ballast-- how hot does it get? Im just concerned if the ballast would get so hot that it might melt the zip tie that I will use to secure it, or melt the plastic its mounted on(if ever I see a spot where its plastic and can be mounted)? A little shed of light will be much appreciated. Thank you:)
Alrighty... so
1. You can put HIDs in that housing
2. You will not need any warning canceler
3. You will need H1 bulbs
4. The housing will not cause flickering
5. I mounted my ballasts on metal, using the included 3M tape, and it's held fine so far

Ok, so here are results we got from installing an HID Kit in a new set of these headlights in a controlled test.

Picture 1: Normal headlight output using the standard H1 halogen bulbs that come with the headlights.

Picture 2: Output after installing an 8000K HID Kit in the normal position (with the long electrode side up).

Picture 3: Improved output after flipping the HID bulbs about 180 degrees, so the long electrode side is down.

I believe Picture 3 represents results very similar to what @kevin loy and @Scornio posted about on the previous page. Picture 3 is the best output we achieved with these lights, and it's definitely now on par with other projector lights for previous year Civics. I hope this helps any of you guys who are still not satisfied with the overall light output from these headlights.

P.S. Any Futurama fans out there?

9th-gen-projector-test-summary.jpg

Very interesting.... thanks for the output pics and the good explanation of what you guys meant by "flipping" the bulbs.

20140319_014900937_iOS.jpg 20140319_002747475_iOS.jpg 20140319_014900937_iOS.jpg 20140319_014842572_iOS.jpg 20140319_002747475_iOS.jpg
I have installed mine already and it looks nice actually. The only concern I have is that the LED turns off when I turn on the low beams tho. I spliced it to the high beams which is also the DRL for 2012 Honda civic. Is there any way where I can splice the LED to a cable that is constantly on when the car is turned on? If so, where would that be? Thanks

View attachment 35152 View attachment 35154 View attachment 35152 View attachment 35153 View attachment 35154
I have installed mine already and it looks nice actually. The only concern I have is that the LED turns off when I turn on the low beams tho. I spliced it to the high beams which is also the DRL for 2012 Honda civic. Is there any way where I can splice the LED to a cable that is constantly on when the car is turned on? If so, where would that be? Thanks

Hey Keith,

The DRLs are probably not the best thing to splice the LED lights into. Reason is they don't get much power and, like you experienced, they will not illuminate when your low beams are on. We recommend splicing them into your parking lights or your low beams. Most customers just do the parking lights because they want the LEDs on even when it's not dark out. The only downside is you just have to turn your headlights knob one click to get the parking lights on.

Hey Keith,

The DRLs are probably not the best thing to splice the LED lights into. Reason is they don't get much power and, like you experienced, they will not illuminate when your low beams are on. We recommend splicing them into your parking lights or your low beams. Most customers just do the parking lights because they want the LEDs on even when it's not dark out. The only downside is you just have to turn your headlights knob one click to get the parking lights on.

Parking lights happen to be my turn signal lights as well. Will the LED flicker too if I turn the turn signal lights on?

Parking lights happen to be my turn signal lights as well. Will the LED flicker too if I turn the turn signal lights on?

No it should not blink. To my knowledge Honda always separates the blinker/turn signal function from the main parking lights power. This is how it was on the 8th Gen, and I doubt they changed it for the 9th. You should have a 3 pin connector going into your turn signal bulb. If you don't, then it's possible it will blink. You can post up a pic here if you're unsure.

This may be a stupid question. But I have wondered are the leds on either of those headlights talked about in here both the sped one and the other one with halo ring replaceable. Meaning is there a way to access the bulb from the back like you do with the normal headlight bulbs to replace them? Because I was thinking about getting them and then it hit me what if the leds go out . one of the reasons for buying these headlights is for the leds.

Last edited:
The LED strip lights are not easily replaceable. You would have to disassemble the headlights assembly, and that usually involves baking it in an oven for awhile. There is no way to access it from the back. We would replace the headlight assemblies for you if the LED strip bulbs went out in a reasonable amount of time (definitely within 30 days, which is our standard returns period). Also, there are no Halo bulbs on these headlights so nothing to go out there.

The LED strip lights are not easily replaceable. You would have to disassemble the headlights assembly, and that usually involves baking it in an oven for awhile. There is no way to access it from the back. We would replace the headlight assemblies for you if the LED strip bulbs went out in a reasonable amount of time (definitely within 30 days, which is our standard returns period). Also, there are no Halo bulbs on these headlights so nothing to go out there.

Whats likely the lifespan for these LED's? Granting that this turns on all the time the car's on. And one more thing, what is the gauge for the splice connector that came with the kit? Can I reuse those splice connectors that have been connected already?

Usually the lifespan of an LED bulb is quite a long time. I would say on these lights the LED lights should last about 3 years or more if they are left on all the time (whenever the car is on). If the LEDs are defective, you're very likely going to know about it within the first week or so, and we would of course replace the whole light assemblies at no cost. As far as the gauge of the splice connector, it looks to be between 18 and 14 gauge. I believe you can re-use the connectors.

Lifespan of an LED should not be an issue over the lifetime of the car.

"A decent LED is expected to last at least 50,000 hours. If you left it on all day everyday it yould last for a little over 2000 days, or something like 5 and a half years."

Whats likely the lifespan for these LED's? Granting that this turns on all the time the car's on. And one more thing, what is the gauge for the splice connector that came with the kit? Can I reuse those splice connectors that have been connected already?
Iv had these headlights since I bought the car so I would say I got them around Aug 13 and I have them wired to my acc fuse on the inside fuse box so everytime I turn my key on they turn on as well..I use my car as a daily driver and mine leds are still going strong....for now lol and if you want to wire them like I did so they'll be on all the time all I did was take some remote speaker wire I had left over from my system i spliced into the wire of the HEADLIGHT not the car wiring harness then ran it to the other headlight then down the fender wall(where you run the amp power wire if you were putting in a system) then into the fuse!!:)

Thanks for all the tips guys. My lowbeams from my headlights stopped working, both of them at the same time. I just got this headlights from pro civic a month ago. It worked fine for like a month, then suddenly today the lowbeams wont function anymore. Are the bulbs the problem here? Both left and right came off together tho. I checked the fuse box under the hood tried to replace that 10A fuses for the left and right low beams, still the lights dont turn on. Any advice how to fix this? Nothing was spliced by the way on the low beams, my LED's were spliced on the DRL's

Last edited:
Since both lowbeams went out at the same time, I'm thinking it might be some sort of wiring issue. You can take out the bulbs and see if the filaments are still there or not. It would be unlikely that both bulb filaments went out at the same time. If you email in to customercare@procivic.com after you inspect the bulbs, we can provide more info on what is going on or what happened.

image.jpg image.jpg Here are the bulbs. The clear one is from the hi beams. The dark one is the low beams. I cant even see the filament inside. Whats wrong with my wiring in this case? I really didnt do anything withthe wiring on my lowbeams tho. This wouldnt be over voltage as well right? The fuse should habe been broke in that case but its completely fine tho when i checked

Back