Rear Sway Bar Bushing Upgrade

So I played around with doing the front sway bar bushings with the Moogs 21mm universal bushing. In the end, I stuck with the stock bushings.

It is a pain in the butt to get to the bolts, but do-able. The passenger side is easier than the drivers side as there is not much clearance around the bolts. The passenger side has some wire bundles routed above the bushing and the drivers side had the starter(I believe) right above the bushing. I didn't even try to take out the drivers side bushing but I did manage to loosen and tighten the bolts. The only tool that would work was the ratcheting wrench, but was still difficult. An angled/flexible ratcheting wrench would be best.

From the pictures below, the Moogs bushing is not tall enough, not wide enough and not "beefy" enough. As you can see from the pics the bottom half of the Moog bushing need to be 1-2mm taller, the whole bushings needs to be 2-3mm wider and frankly it just looks puny and not thick enough material surrounding the front sway bar area.

Not sure what I will do with the 21mm Moogs bushing now. Might return it and see if Moogs would be willing to make something that would work.

If someone wants to give them a shot instead of running the stock ones, let me know and I will send them to you.
It looks like the stock bushing is specifically made for our cars and the Moog is not designed for this application.

Any new info on upgrading the stock front bushings on a 9th gen? Specifically a 2014 & 2015? I just ordered a progress RSB and Moog bushings and endlinks...Upgrading the front would balance the increased rear stiffness...right?

Any new info on upgrading the stock front bushings on a 9th gen? Specifically a 2014 & 2015? I just ordered a progress RSB and Moog bushings and endlinks...Upgrading the front would balance the increased rear stiffness...right?
Correct..... BUT........ You "probably" wouldn't want more anti sway in the front than the rear..... Just hang on to this thread and wait for some specs to come flowing in on how much for front and rear.

You want a smaller front if anything. The car understeers heavily from the factory. Upgrading the rear sway helps the back to rotate through turns. By increasing the rear you help balance out the heavy front. Upgrading the front as well will make the car corner flatter with less body roll but it will not corner better. The feel will change but you won't have gained anything handling wise.

Something Im waiting to see if anyone tries is whether or not a smaller front sway from a previous year or lower trim level can be used on the newer SI. That is another option for improving the handling and usually an OEM front sway is much cheaper than an aftermarket rear sway. No one has tried it to my knowledge.

Has anyone installed these on the progress 24mm bar? I think this will cure my squeaking problem. And could I get a link to the correct size for the 24mm bar?

Thanks bud. Is there any reason I should but a greasable kit instead, or does this seriously not ever need to be greased
@Redrocket1 how do you like the 24mm bar?

Sorry hadn't logged in here for a while. I like the 24mm bar a lot. Works very nicely with the HFP suspension. I would say definitely upgrade your bushings and endlinks though.
@Redrocket1 what do you mean "I would say definitely upgrade your bushings and end links though?"
The 24mm progress sway bar comes with new bushings and end links.

@Redrocket1 what do you mean "I would say definitely upgrade your bushings and end links though?"
The 24mm progress sway bar comes with new bushings and end links.
Yeah it did, but they worked like garbage on my car. Others have experienced the same thing and also upgraded their bushings and endlinks (beyond the ones supplied by progress).

The solid 1-piece moogs should still work with the 24mm bar. I've yet to hear good things about adjustable ones. Everytime I've read about them, its been a noise or loosening issue.

The solid 1-piece moogs should still work with the 24mm bar. I've yet to hear good things about adjustable ones. Everytime I've read about them, its been a noise or loosening issue.
I was wondering if the solid Moog end links would work although I don't see one specifically for the Civic Si only Civic.
The installation instructions for the Progress 24mm says that the range of adjustment in the links that are supplied go between 70mm to 73mm centre to centre (Canadian spelling :wink1:)
Does anyone know what the centre to centre measurement in on the Moog?

Yeah, you'll need the angled ones to clear the gas tank. I wrote to MOOG and Energy to ask what size fittings were needed on the bushings but never got a response.

Yeah, you'll need the angled ones to clear the gas tank. I wrote to MOOG and Energy to ask what size fittings were needed on the bushings but never got a response.

I just bought a variety pack with a bunch of random sizes and angles.

Found this in my email. I guess I had emailed moog about this too:
"the fitting size for the K750125 is a ¼” X 28 (self-tapping threads)."

Reactions: Nix
Are the Moog Bushings and Energy Bushings similar in terms of quality? Anyone compare the two?

I would think so. Theres not a ton to be done with poly bushings. I think the only difference with the black vs red energy ones is that the black ones are graphite impregnated so they should be self lubricating. I think you should probably still grease them though.

I would get which ever set is cheaper or easier to find. I don't think there is a ton of difference. I liked the grease port option on the energy ones so I got those, and then promptly never used the port and just took them off for cleaning and regreasing once a year.

Energy uses a polyurethane material. Moog uses a thermopolymer vulcanizate material.

Last edited:
Back