Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
Hmm I checked again to be safe and this is what I found... Oil just barely above the low mark on the dipstick. Maybe 4-5k since oil change?

iMID maintenance indicator says 30% oil life. Does anyone know if it is timed or if there is an actual sensor for oil performance?

What do you guys think, is this excessively burning oil or just typical and no problem? Also, does anyone know how many quarts of oil corresponds to the amount mine is below the full marker on the dipstick? I'm not sure how many quarts low I am.

March 2012 manufacture date in the door jam

image.jpg

EDIT: Wow, totally made a dumb mistake and didn't even check it on level ground. I was parked on the slope of a parking garage ramp. Will check again later on a level surface.

Last edited:
Hmm I checked again to be safe and this is what I found... Oil just barely above the low mark on the dipstick. Maybe 4-5k since oil change?

iMID maintenance indicator says 30% oil life. Does anyone know if it is timed or if there is an actual sensor for oil performance?

What do you guys think, is this excessively burning oil or just typical and no problem? Also, does anyone know how many quarts of oil corresponds to the amount mine is below the full marker on the dipstick? I'm not sure how many quarts low I am.

View attachment 15899

EDIT: Wow, totally made a dumb mistake and didn't even check it on level ground. I was parked on the slope of a parking garage ramp. Will check again later on a level surface.
Yes check on level ground first! There is no sensor specific to oil life. The maintenance minder looks ant several different things to determine oil life, including temperature and drive cycles. I don't follow it. I change my oil every 6000km. The maintenance minder in my mind is nothing more than a marketing gimmick.

View attachment 15899

Make sure the writing on the top of dipstick (orange) is facing correctly when you are checking the oil because having it the opposite way can make you show half between lines when you really are towards full

Hmm on level ground the oil was about 1/4 of the way above the low dot on the dipstick.

Like this:
(low) O=|===O (high)

So 3/4 of a quart burned with only about 30% oil life left (change due at 15%) in 4000-5000 miles? Is that somewhat bad or 100% normal? I know many of you have had much worse oil consumption by consuming at least this much in just 1000 miles.

I also know that it was said that burning oil a little is expected for first ~10k miles. I just hit 11,500 mark so I think the burning may have stopped already if 3/4 quart is all I have burned on this oil change. The rings should have seated properly... I broke the car in fairly well I would say; I did not baby it but I did not abuse it either. I take it through the entire RPM range every couple of days (although I have accidentally bounced off the rev limiter a couple of times... not many or severe). Never misshifted into a low gear to over-rev though. It also has had a few thousand highway miles on 250 mile round trips to my dad's house so the engine has experienced a good balance of city, highway, and spirited driving. Maybe engaging VTEC too often has caused the oil to burn more than I would expect.

I think I will just pay extra attention to my next oil change and see if/how much it burns and pay closer attention to the miles on the oil rather than solely the maintenance minder.

Last edited:
Yeah for me VIN 0064x and I guzzle oil. Woo Woo. Changed the oil last Saturday and did not pay attention to the level. Then saw the TSB. Checked it yesterday 400 miles post change, and I was a little over 1/3 qt. low in 400 miles. Now I know why my Coupe was traded in with 5900 miles on it and sold at auction instead of the dealer it was traded into.

Kirk

It should still be covered though, I believe. I saw that you're currently trying to get it resolved. Good luck

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm debating if I need to remove my CAI and put the factory box back on before I bring it in. Any thoughts from anyone who has or has not done so? If I don't need to remove, I will stop by the dealer near my work tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I'm gonna call Honda cust care today and get a case open with them.

I'm going to sell my NIB Flash Pro and VitViper NA e-tune combo since it will be quite a while before I feel comfortable with a ECU flash. I'll use the money from the FlashPro combo for a HFP suspension kit.

Looking at all of the TSB's posted here on 9th. (I should have done this before I bought the car.) It seems like there are 3 or 4 that apply to my VIN range. (Stereo firmware upgrade, steering wheel controls firmware, plus the A05 Rev Hang firmware.) It looks like all or most are covered by using the same test tool procedure. Did anyone who got their Pistons / rings replaced, get these other issues addressed at the same time? Will the latest (12/12) PCM reflash fix all but the head unit firmware? It seems like it will. Comments? I really don't want to make 10 trips to the Dealer over the next few months. Anyone in SoCal get their guzzling issue fixed? What Dealer did you use?

Last, did anyone get their block replaced too? Bearings?

Thanks,
Kirk

Technically, Honda would have to prove the intake caused the problem for it to affect your warranty on the particular part that has the problem (piston rings in this case). They are completely unrelated. However, they may give you a hard time about it. You would be in the right and hopefully eventually win a fight with them over it, but it could be a major pain in the ***.

I read somewhere (in this thread I think) that someone had the short block replaced. Most seem to have just had the rings replaced.

Last edited:
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'm debating if I need to remove my CAI and put the factory box back on before I bring it in. Any thoughts from anyone who has or has not done so? If I don't need to remove, I will stop by the dealer near my work tomorrow and get the ball rolling. I'm gonna call Honda cust care today and get a case open with them.

I'm going to sell my NIB Flash Pro and VitViper NA e-tune combo since it will be quite a while before I feel comfortable with a ECU flash. I'll use the money from the FlashPro combo for a HFP suspension kit.

Looking at all of the TSB's posted here on 9th. (I should have done this before I bought the car.) It seems like there are 3 or 4 that apply to my VIN range. (Stereo firmware upgrade, steering wheel controls firmware, plus the A05 Rev Hang firmware.) It looks like all or most are covered by using the same test tool procedure. Did anyone who got their Pistons / rings replaced, get these other issues addressed at the same time? Will the latest (12/12) PCM reflash fix all but the head unit firmware? It seems like it will. Comments? I really don't want to make 10 trips to the Dealer over the next few months. Anyone in SoCal get their guzzling issue fixed? What Dealer did you use?

Thanks,
Kirk

i would put it back to stock, if for no other reason thaan they can't butcher your CAI if it's not on there.

Sigh.... This is why I'm so frustrated already with the oil guzzling., and I haven't even dealt with Honda or a Dealer yet. I just put the F 'n CAI on a week ago. I'm going to pull it and revert to stock, but it is complete BS that I have to since there is a TSB and my VIN is affected.

Kirk

Sigh.... This is why I'm so frustrated already with the oil guzzling., and I haven't even dealt with Honda or a Dealer yet. I just put the F 'n CAI on a week ago. I'm going to pull it and revert to stock, but it is complete BS that I have to since there is a TSB and my VIN is affected.

Kirk

I totally understand your frustration, I hope it all turns out good in the end.

I'm out of the vin range and I usually do a second gear pull getting on the freeway on my way to work and the oil is full I'm at 1500 :D

It's not a recall though...and it's not affected everyone's car. Some users have had no issues in the vin range. You could go with the intake. Some may care less. I have no idea how anal your dealership is.

It's not a recall though...and it's not affected everyone's car. Some users have had no issues in the vin range. You could go with the intake. Some may care less. I have no idea how anal your dealership is.

Understood and not worth the risk. Being that I didn't buy new, I can't lean on the sale to help make them co-operate. I called American Honda this AM. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Kirk

Thanks,
Kirk

Don't sweat it - you'll get your rings. Remember that TSB's are done on a complaint only basis - as oppose to recalls which are mandatory. In Canada the protocol is for the dealer to run a vehicle owner inquiry each and every time the vehicle comes to the dealer for service in order to check for outstanding recalls. Now, TSB's can (should) not be done on a preventative basis - directly, why would you want to fix something that is not broken? So if you do not have a problem with your audio unit - leave it alone. PCM reflashes incorporate all previous updates but if you think its going to fix rev hang - you'd be mistaken - stick with the flash pro and vit-tune. I personally know of no block replacements as yet - every engine I've seen torn down has been in excellent shape. Although every one has had stupid tight valves. The issue regarding the oil consumption is that a low friction ring was used in early examples and they do not have enough tension to properly scrape the cylinder walls. My Si is also in the affected range - I new this going in - it makes no difference to me as long as Honda makes good. We've also heard from customers that they felt their engines felt more powerful after the rebuild.

Don't sweat it - you'll get your rings. Remember that TSB's are done on a complaint only basis - as oppose to recalls which are mandatory. In Canada the protocol is for the dealer to run a vehicle owner inquiry each and every time the vehicle comes to the dealer for service in order to check for outstanding recalls. Now, TSB's can (should) not be done on a preventative basis - directly, why would you want to fix something that is not broken? So if you do not have a problem with your audio unit - leave it alone. PCM reflashes incorporate all previous updates but if you think its going to fix rev hang - you'd be mistaken - stick with the flash pro and vit-tune. I personally know of no block replacements as yet - every engine I've seen torn down has been in excellent shape. Although every one has had stupid tight valves. The issue regarding the oil consumption is that a low friction ring was used in early examples and they do not have enough tension to properly scrape the cylinder walls. My Si is also in the affected range - I new this going in - it makes no difference to me as long as Honda makes good. We've also heard from customers that they felt their engines felt more powerful after the rebuild.

Thanks for the reply. Not concerned about rev hang per se. That last sentence is exactly what I am afraid of! I read that from one or two members.....

As for only flash it if it is broken. I'm in IT for a living. You always flash to the latest revision that is stable regardless of whether or not you have the symptom addressed in said flash update. The reason Honda doesn't is that x percent of reflashes go bad and brick the device, in this case ECU/PCM. Reflashing a car ecu is no different than a network switch, server etc. At one of my jobs we make Hydrogen and CNG conversions for cars, trucks. We flash ECU's ALL day long. Testing multiple versions of code. In my case, I want the last known good or stable version on board.

Kirk

Understood and not worth the risk. Being that I didn't buy new, I can't lean on the sale to help make them co-operate. I called American Honda this AM. I'm waiting to hear back from them.

Kirk
Hey Kirk,

I wouldn't worry about not having purchased it new and having a salesperson to lean on - mine turned out to be worse than useless! My salesperson stated she wanted absolutely nothing to do with the issue and refused even go to bat for me with the service department. I drove 15 miles to another dealership and have received excellent service so far.

Back