Changing manual transmission fluid

Based on the Amsoil oxidation levels this transmission is getting EXTREMELY hot. (I do live in triple digit Sacramento.... which can't help) I've had the Honda MTF for almost 8,000 miles, including 500 + Dragon miles. Will test the Honda fluid SOON.

Stick with Honda MTF.
Absolutely... stick with Honda MTF for now, especially during the warranty period. You saw my test.... a disaster with aluminum in the 80's. And it wasn't even my first fluid change. So i'll now test the Honda MTF after 8000 miles (instead of 4000) and compare the two. Given our limited evidence I still think it's too early to implicate the Amsoil product. We have, at most, 3 cases of insufficient protection... and squiggy caught his very early it looks like.

But overall if this doesn't highlight the benefits of using oil analysis -- especially when switching to non-OEM products -- nothing ever will.

Will keep you posted as data comes in.

I was halfway through starting a thread "What transmission fluid do you use" and decided to do a search first. WOW. After reading this entire thread, it's obvious that I can't go wrong with Honda MTF, and should stay away from Amsoil for the time being. I think my first chnge (at 20k miles now) will be oem fluid.

Has anyone tried and tested Royal Purple 01512 Synchromax High Performance Synthetic Manual Transmission Fluid?

imo, stick with Honda MTF while under warranty. Amsoil is normally fine -- even preferred -- but in this case turns out the Amsoil MTF we used was the wrong product. Absolutely the wrong product. Not our bad, Amsoil's bad. We could be going to court kind of bad.
First we need to see how much damage was done to our transmissions. In my case it was substantial.

Get this: Even though Amsoil's website (and other sources cross referencing Amsoil) listed the Amsoil product as fully compatible with Hondas. It is NOT. Using the Amsoil MTF is okay in MOST of Honda's manual transmissions. But the 2012 SI (and others?) have a limited slip tranny/differential from Acura. And right on the back of the Amsoil MTF bottle (in red letters!) it says NOT to use the Amsoil MTF in any limited slip applications! Of course, some of us didn't see that until it was too late.

Anybody who has was told by Amsoil to use Amsoil MTF in a 2012 (or other) limited slip application should immediately remove the Amsoil fluid. And assess the damage before proceeding.

Bruce;
I'm a big fan of Motul have you used any or tested any of their products ???
Can't say I have, no. But on paper they sure do. We know that any class IV or class V lubricant is top notch no matter who makes it. To me the question is two fold -- What do you really need? And: What do you want to spend?

(I'm currently running Castrol Syntec in the SI - a common class III - much like Mobil 1. Not very exciting... but hey, the car is going to sit in the garage most of the winter and I didn't want to spend any money)

Here's the bottom line. Almost any oil (even conventional) tests out very well for 4,000 - 6000 miles of normal use. In "severe service" less so. So don't hesitate to use regular oil if you change oil frequently and the price is right. Conventional oil has become a lot better in the last 10 years.

What's you're getting with the various Class III/Class IV/Class V synthetic upgrades is roughly this:

Class III Mobil 1 types (synthetic in name only?) -- A slightly longer drain interval and a cleaner engine, meaning less deposit formation. We've seen lab results after 7,000 miles that come out just fine, every time. Over 8,000 miles is starting to push it in my opinion, unless the miles are easy. If the miles are real easy, like cross country, M1 could probably do twice the 7,000. But always depends on your engine and how you drive it. Can't make predictions without doing the testing. When I use M1 (or any class III) it's changed after 5,000 miles just to be on the safe side. I will not push a Class III oil.

Class IV (full synthetic) like Amsoil -- means a decidedly longer drain interval -- especially with the proper filtration. With a top flight full flow filter, 10,000 miles is a piece of cake. With an additional by-pass filter (removes sub 3-micron material and keeps water out) most of my customers easily went 2/3 years between oil changes, which often amounted to 40,000 miles between changes. Never had a problem. And their engines were always spotless.

I'm out of time tonight but next time I'll talk about Class V oils... the best of the best. Somebody the other day here wanted to use an upper end Torco product. Class V. I'm sure it was awesome. But it was also $100.00 for 5 qts.... which is too much for a tightwad like me. You'd be better off spending 1/2 that much on a solid Class IV. And next time i'll explain why...

Cheers!

I plan on supercharging my Si and road racing it along with daily beater duties ... So I plan on getting some Motul Ester oil for daily use and using Motul racing oil before a track day...

I've used it before extensively on my old track/beater car and never really had issues and heater problems with it ...

Hey Mikey, long time! Anxious to see your report. Will look you up next time i'm in L.A. Or come here to do
this:

http://www.motorcycleroads.com/75/1...-Next-140-miles!!!-(California-Route-36).html

741157_10151237121133952_1516728035_-0.jpg

Holy smokes that road looks amazing!
Hey Mikey! Yes, as you said, Hwy 36 (in CA) is "amazing"! 140 miles of amazing! As one rider said: "all other roads slip into mediocrity". Well, that's probably an overstatement because The Dragon is world class in every respect as well. To me, Hwy 36 is more technical and dangerous, designed for bursts of triple digit speed (for some, certainly not me) ....until it's not! Then, the sudden switch to more normal "driving" (if you call it that) catches you by surprise.

If you've never done the Dragon, I'd love to get a group from California to go east this year... would you be game? :) Or, we could keep it simple and do the 36.

What say ye?!

`bb

Hey Mikey! Yes, as you said, Hwy 36 (in CA) is "amazing"! 140 miles of amazing! As one rider said: "all other roads slip into mediocrity". Well, that's probably an overstatement because The Dragon is world class in every respect as well. To me, Hwy 36 is more technical and dangerous, designed for bursts of triple digit speed (for some, certainly not me) ....until it's not! Then, the sudden switch to more normal "driving" (if you call it that) catches you by surprise.

If you've never done the Dragon, I'd love to get a group from California to go east this year... would you be game? :) Or, we could keep it simple and do the 36.

What say ye?!

`bb

I've done the dragon 3 times :giggle:

I was looking forward to seeing you there this past September, but we missed each other unfortunately.

Keeping on topic, I am very anxious to see how the OEM fluid performs. My bet is that it will get a glowing mark of approval from Blackstone.

Back