Early Dragon Run - May 18 - 22

I love 28, I've spent a lot of time on that road every time I come down there. So far 7 years in a row. What I like other than the obvious, is that it's bank on one side and river on the other, makes it harder for deer to sneak up on me. The Dragon, pretty much the same, usually when I do the Dragon I'll run 6 to 8 laps without stopping. It comes as close to being as safe as a public road can be, because of the peeps that do the dirty work, by going out there with a broom and spray paint, to clean and warn ppl of oil spills, etc. Need more photo booths(I like to think of them as flag-men). I find by doing laps on either 28 or the Dragon, my personal times get better ever year.
Like one of my MC race instructors sad, "If you think you're doing better here on the track, wait till you get home and go for a ride on your favorite local road".

Yes I am one of those push my car to the limits safely guys but I also don't mind slowing down sometimes, especially when headed back to the lodge after you miss the braking spot at 11:30 at night and end up understeering almost into the rock wall and at the last second the car catches and you get launched somewhat back to normal, hopefully with clean undies.... I have thou spent many years praticing on closed courses, SCAA marshells and event coordinators have gotten mad at me, and back roads in the wee early hours to do this and my car is setup correctly

Like I have said many times everyone has a different pace and different cars and the Dragon is not a racetrack it's a public road and this is a meeting spot for friends who like to drive, some more quickly than others, and not to race or be better than someone else.

I love and prefer Moonshiner 28 and Cherahola skyway over the Dragon, it's more technical, less cops and more fun.

And Bruce that first night was not the Dragon, it was Fontana to the start of the exhaust shoot, so Moonshiner 28, the twisty section....lol. We where too tired to drive the whole Dragon and back.

Point is, it was that night I realized two things: 1.) I was out of my league. 2.) It was dangerous to pretend to be in that league for more than 2 seconds. I came back talking to myself in expletives about how stupid I was. Then, as it turns out, you guys were totally gracious about it......never out to criticize but just to help out. And you know what? It was a good to get such a 'heads up' experience so early in my training. It helped keep me MORE aware of my limitations and therefore MORE alive, if there is such a thing!

Come to think of it, you should take all the newbs out on their first night. As a public service. :cucumber:

Thanks guys.

There is such a thing as more alive.....lol

I have no problems with anyone going for a ride along with me, it's my pleasure to teach newbies how these roads can bite you hard....

I love 28, I've spent a lot of time on that road every time I come down there. So far 7 years in a row. What I like other than the obvious, is that it's bank on one side and river on the other, makes it harder for deer to sneak up on me. The Dragon, pretty much the same, usually when I do the Dragon I'll run 6 to 8 laps without stopping. It comes as close to being as safe as a public road can be, because of the peeps that do the dirty work, by going out there with a broom and spray paint, to clean and warn ppl of oil spills, etc. Need more photo booths(I like to think of them as flag-men). I find by doing laps on either 28 or the Dragon, my personal times get better ever year.
Like one of my MC race instructors sad, "If you think you're doing better here on the track, wait till you get home and go for a ride on your favorite local road".

Ok, so trying to plan some drives and which ones people are interested in. I think sunday evening is probably best spent running the dragon/28 since I'm sure we will all be tired from driving to arrive and just getting to know each other.

If anyone has any route suggestions or preferences I'd like to try and get some maps nailed down and we can certainly decide what we all feel like doing in person. If there are a few of us and we would like to split up and explore that's fine with me also. Some of the longer drives do require a bit of commitment since they can be an all day event.

I have some coordinates for a quite long 6+ hour 250mile N. Ga run. I can post those or PM you and you can program them into your gps unit. I have done that with mine and it's a little tricky but google is awesome when you have the time to fart around with it. It's also a good idea in case we get separated by traffic, bathroom emergencies, or just plain old "I don't feel like keeping up and im enjoying the scenery."

I know bruce had mentioned both "The Snake" and "Diamondback" as other day trip possibilities.

Here is a quick "Diamondback" run I put together... let me know what you guys think of this:

Leave Fontana and head out towards 40. Take the highway over just past Asheville. Great chance for an easy pit stop before joining up with the Blue Ridge Parkway. We end up at a place called Little Switzerland, NC. I just picked a hotel/restaurant that was mentioned on the Diamondback motorcycle website. If it's bad we can definitely find somewhere else but I thought a lunch break after 3hours of driving might be nice. Also it puts us right at the top of the Diamondback loop. From there run 226A to 226 and end up back at the same spot. The route back is still up for debate. Either head South and take the highway back or return the same way we came in or find another road to check out. I have never driven in the area so I'm unfamiliar with any of it. I have heard the Blue Ridge is more for sightseeing than spirited driving.

Route: There and back same way.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...+NC&gl=us&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=9&via=1,6&t=m&z=9

Ok, so trying to plan some drives and which ones people are interested in. I think sunday evening is probably best spent running the dragon/28 since I'm sure we will all be tired from driving to arrive and just getting to know each other.

If anyone has any route suggestions or preferences I'd like to try and get some maps nailed down and we can certainly decide what we all feel like doing in person. If there are a few of us and we would like to split up and explore that's fine with me also. Some of the longer drives do require a bit of commitment since they can be an all day event.

I have some coordinates for a quite long 6+ hour 250mile N. Ga run. I can post those or PM you and you can program them into your gps unit. I have done that with mine and it's a little tricky but google is awesome when you have the time to fart around with it. It's also a good idea in case we get separated by traffic, bathroom emergencies, or just plain old "I don't feel like keeping up and im enjoying the scenery."

I know bruce had mentioned both "The Snake" and "Diamondback" as other day trip possibilities.

Here is a quick "Diamondback" run I put together... let me know what you guys think of this:

Leave Fontana and head out towards 40. Take the highway over just past Asheville. Great chance for an easy pit stop before joining up with the Blue Ridge Parkway. We end up at a place called Little Switzerland, NC. I just picked a hotel/restaurant that was mentioned on the Diamondback motorcycle website. If it's bad we can definitely find somewhere else but I thought a lunch break after 3hours of driving might be nice. Also it puts us right at the top of the Diamondback loop. From there run 226A to 226 and end up back at the same spot. The route back is still up for debate. Either head South and take the highway back or return the same way we came in or find another road to check out. I have never driven in the area so I'm unfamiliar with any of it. I have heard the Blue Ridge is more for sightseeing than spirited driving.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Road, Fontana Dam, NC&daddr=35.6752133,-82.4424445 to:86 High Ridge Rd, Marion, NC 28752 to:NC-226A S to:NC-226 N to:86 High Ridge Rd, Marion, NC 28752 to:35.7078626,-82.269583 to:Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Road, Fontana Dam, NC&hl=en&ll=35.487511,-83.056641&spn=1.270253,1.766052&sll=35.608185,-82.916565&sspn=1.268342,1.766052&geocode=FcTLHAIdsWUB-yF6ooFoyw4dqyn3vN8oULheiDF6ooFoyw4dqw;FU1cIAIdNAcW-ykT1gL4KvZZiDGB90GLYFA-hg;FfsGIwIdIWQb-ym34Ty9mKVQiDFMyd_sj3tt8w;FT53IgIdB5kb-w;Fbz7IgId1xQc-w;FfsGIwIdIWQb-ym34Ty9mKVQiDFMyd_sj3tt8w;FdbbIAIdcaoY-yktC2jGqAFaiDG1s7ssTZaVXQ;FcTLHAIdsWUB-yF6ooFoyw4dqyn3vN8oULheiDF6ooFoyw4dqw&oq=Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Road, Fontana Dam, NC&gl=us&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=9&via=1,6&t=m&z=9

Gotta think about this one. The Blue Ridge Parkway offers a mere 40mph. What makes it even worse are all the "commuter zones" that are heavily patrolled. That's why Google estimates an almost a 7hr. drive. On the good side the BRP offers beautiful scenery. Think i'd rather do this one in the Fall to see all the leaves changing.

For me it's a pass... but i'd still consider it if the group wants it.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Road, Fontana Dam, NC&daddr=35.6752133,-82.4424445 to:86 High Ridge Rd, Marion, NC 28752 to:NC-226A S to:NC-226 N to:86 High Ridge Rd, Marion, NC 28752 to:35.7078626,-82.269583 to:Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Road, Fontana Dam, NC&hl=en&ll=35.487511,-83.056641&spn=1.270253,1.766052&sll=35.608185,-82.916565&sspn=1.268342,1.766052&geocode=FcTLHAIdsWUB-yF6ooFoyw4dqyn3vN8oULheiDF6ooFoyw4dqw;FU1cIAIdNAcW-ykT1gL4KvZZiDGB90GLYFA-hg;FfsGIwIdIWQb-ym34Ty9mKVQiDFMyd_sj3tt8w;FT53IgIdB5kb-w;Fbz7IgId1xQc-w;FfsGIwIdIWQb-ym34Ty9mKVQiDFMyd_sj3tt8w;FdbbIAIdcaoY-yktC2jGqAFaiDG1s7ssTZaVXQ;FcTLHAIdsWUB-yF6ooFoyw4dqyn3vN8oULheiDF6ooFoyw4dqw&oq=Fontana Village Resort, Fontana Road, Fontana Dam, NC&gl=us&mra=dpe&mrsp=6&sz=9&via=1,6&t=m&z=9
The Snake can wait... it's too far. It's also one of the most demanding and technical drives in the area, and therefore not for everybody. And I haven't even looked at the Diamondback lately, much less studied it. So I'm totally okay with Nixing both of those possibilities. On one of the three days we have, I'd like to do The Ultimate Loop. That's my main goal.

Then you and the others can decide what else to do.

Cool man. Yeah, im up for whatever. Changing the diamondback route to take hwy40 the whole way there and back only cuts off an hour! Those were definitely my concerns with the BRP.

Cool man. Yeah, im up for whatever. Changing the diamondback route to take hwy40 the whole way there and back only cuts off an hour! Those were definitely my concerns with the BRP.
Interesting. Well, i trust you've researched it. One heckava a long day, that's all. If we do The Ultimate Loop, the Atlanta touch and go (on another day) we only have time for one more. Maybe we should keep it open for now.

Yeah, im not crazy about it. The diamonback is one short section of 226A and its a long drive to get there no matter what route you take. The Ultimate Loop looks like a better choice.

@Bruce Bartlow so you said your coming from Sacramento right? I'm assuming your going to go through Nashville on I-40 ? That is Dennis and I's neck of the woods lol. We should schedule a little meet up in that area and then the three of us head towards the dragon?? Just a thought. The more the merrier!

@Bruce Bartlow so you said your coming from Sacramento right? I'm assuming your going to go through Nashville on I-40 ? That is Dennis and I's neck of the woods lol. We should schedule a little meet up in that area and then the three of us head towards the dragon?? Just a thought. The more the merrier!
Absolutely! I was thinking the same thing. (If there's a problem -- too early to say -- it's that i'll be in southern CA for a few days and at some point need to swing by southern TX, meaning i might come up through Atlanta. Won't know about that until later this week. I'd only head TX if I had enough time. Otherwise TX comes after the Dragon, not before, and i'd be in Nashville Friday night or sometime Saturday)

Are you proposing that we meet Saturday (dinner perhaps?) and head down together Sunday morning? If so, i'll try to find a hotel for Saturday night. Any recommendations?

Dennis and I are a go! We haven't talked about which days we will be there. Going to talk today! Any word if the lodges and what not are sold out?

Absolutely! I was thinking the same thing. (If there's a problem -- too early to say -- it's that i'll be in southern CA for a few days and at some point need to swing by southern TX, meaning i might come up through Atlanta. Won't know about that until later this week. I'd only head TX if I had enough time. Otherwise TX comes after the Dragon, not before, and i'd be in Nashville Friday night or sometime Saturday)

Are you proposing that we meet Saturday (dinner perhaps?) and head down together Sunday morning? If so, i'll try to find a hotel for Saturday night. Any recommendations?
I see Orbitz has Fontana for $119/nt. $357 for 3 nights. Split two ways that's $180 each.

Back