Early Dragon Run - May 18 - 22

FYI: Anybody who hasn't booked accommodations will need to look elsewhere; Fontana Village is completely sold out.

Spartan, see below:

Odd, I checked again, they still have rooms available in the Lodge. I could also stay at the Microtel in Robbinsville if need be.

You will love the 20mm RSB. Combined with the ZII's you will think it's a new car. And in a way it is. Seriously, the car already has a lot going for it. So those two things, I believe, are the best, most economical way to revolutionize your driving experience.

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to these upgrades now.

Odd, I checked again, they still have rooms available in the Lodge. I could also stay at the Microtel in Robbinsville if need be.

Awesome, I'm really looking forward to these upgrades now.

must have been the dates i put in, or maybe they had some cancellations. Do you like
Microtel?

must have been the dates i put in, or maybe they had some cancellations. Do you like
Microtel?

The Microtel is sufficient. Doesn't have much in the way of amenities but the staff is friendly and it is really cheap after all. It also puts you next to all the gas stations in Robbinsville which is nice. I'd stay there again but I figured everyone would be at the lodge.

Is it alright that we stay at the Microtel? I would like to cut down on some costs and the hotel is a big one.

Is it alright that we stay at the Microtel? I would like to cut down on some costs and the hotel is a big one.

It's nice to know Microtel is a decent place to stay. This time I prefer Fontana Village if only because others will be there. Not to mention that they have a nice restaurant, free wireless and the Dragon and Moonshiner right next door. But hey, If you need to share a room, we'll work something out.

When will you be there?

Room will be booked at the Microtel in Robbinsville in a little bit. I don't remember the drive from the town to the Dragon being very long but I may not be remembering correctly. It sure seemed short to me. We'll be arriving officially sometime Sunday night and will be departing Thursday morning. Three days of madness will be had in between. I look forward to meeting you all. My friend who is tagging along has no idea what he's in store for. Heheheh.

Room will be booked at the Microtel in Robbinsville in a little bit. I don't remember the drive from the town to the Dragon being very long but I may not be remembering correctly. It sure seemed short to me. We'll be arriving officially sometime Sunday night and will be departing Thursday morning. Three days of madness will be had in between. I look forward to meeting you all. My friend who is tagging along has no idea what he's in store for. Heheheh.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Robbinsville, NC/Fontana Dam, NC/@35.3871332,-83.879939,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x885ec65ea3b816a1:0xe93831a052d79c43!2m2!1d-83.807399!2d35.322866!1m5!1m1!1s0x885eb8fe691d17f5:0xe6e21ee1aab0b96f!2m2!1d-83.8090601!2d35.449188

There might be a few rooms left at Fontana, not sure. But expect to pay at least $80.00... and maybe a lot more. Don't book it directly... use one of the booking sites. Either way you're welcome to hang in the lobby or in our rooms when you're there. If you plan on slaying The Dragon repeatedly it's best to stay at Fontana.

On Monday, Day #1 Tobias (@Nix) has a great ride planned on the best roads immediately south of Fontana and the GSNP, dipping briefly into the state of GA. A perfect day to warm up the tires.

Day #2 is my baby. In fact, just today i finished plans for what i'll call the Road to Infinity, referring to the countless number of curves along the way. It begins with Moonshine Madness (Hwy 28) all the way to Highlands. With a speed limit of 55 mph (meaning spurts to 65mph are still reasonable) you'll wonder why we drive anything else. Then we head east along Hwy 64 to "the locals favorite" going north on Hwy 215 all the way to Bethel. By then, frankly, we'll be toast... but with a big smile. If we had time we'd do Hwy 276 between Brevard and Bethel, but on this day we probably won't.

Given the late hour we'll take it easy all the way home on the Great Smoky Mountain Expressway, which is mostly 55mph with lots of high speed sweepers. They're not exactly meant to be high speed sweepers but you get the idea. Might stop at Pisgah Inn first, the highest point on the Blue Ridge Parkway for an early dinner. Great views and food. My treat.

We still have a day open... so if you have anything on your Wish List (or anything left of your tires) let's hear it!

I figured we'd meet at Deal's Gap which is only a 20 min jaunt from Robbinsville. Really the drive was so short it had zero impact on continuous Dragon slaying. Plan looks pretty good so far. This ain't my first rodeo though and the car will be even better equipped then last time.

FYI: Anybody who hasn't booked accommodations will need to look elsewhere; Fontana Village is completely sold out.

Spartan, see below:
MICROTEL Inn, there's one in Robbinsville, they have a good free breakfast as well. There prices are about the same as the rest, the one where I've stayed, is in Franklin, NC(look on the map, it's a fun road from there to the Dragon(28) is only about in the $50's to 60's.
Actually I like the Microtel set up better, not captive dinning prices.

Sorry, didn't see all the Robbinsville post before I posted mine, but as mentioned "stay overnight in the Micro, eat breakfast then spend the rest of the non driving time at the lodge lounge."

MICROTEL Inn, there's one in Robbinsville, they have a good free breakfast as well. There prices are about the same as the rest, the one where I've stayed, is in Franklin, NC(look on the map, it's a fun road from there to the Dragon(28) is only about in the $50's to 60's.

By the way, if the other guys hadn't already booked Fontana (including me) MicroTel would have been great, even preferred, for all of our eastern and southern drives. Canceling now would cost us our deposit... so sorry we didn't get this squared away earlier. But we'll make the best of it -- you can use our place when up here and we can use your place when we're down there.

What time would you expect to arrive Sunday night? Be nice to meet up.

By the way, if the other guys hadn't already booked Fontana (including me) MicroTel would have been great, even preferred, for all of our eastern and southern drives. Canceling now would cost us our deposit... so sorry we didn't get this squared away earlier. But we'll make the best of it -- you can use our place when up here and we can use your place when we're down there.

What time would you expect to arrive Sunday night? Be nice to meet up.

Sorry to mislead, I'm still pondering if I'm going yet. It's so close to my MC gathering down there. If I do come I'll be trying to stay at the Robbinsville Micro. My MC group stays at the Franklin Micro.

I hate early plans, I'm more of a day in advance planner. But the welcome is putting more positive thoughts toward doing it.

Sorry to mislead, I'm still pondering if I'm going yet. It's so close to my MC gathering down there. If I do come I'll be trying to stay at the Robbinsville Micro. My MC group stays at the Franklin Micro.

I hate early plans, I'm more of a day in advance planner. But the welcome is putting more positive thoughts toward doing it.
-------------------
Your coming would be SWEET! By all means stay in Franklin...just try to get in early enough to meet up for dinner, if you can.

The handful of us will be there until Thursday. While it'd be great to have you there early such as Sunday or Monday, I'd certainly be willing to stay an extra day or two at the Franklin Microtel (meaning Thusday and Friday night) if you want to come later in the week. In terms of itinerary i've been wanting to do The Snake. Then there's the 276 from Brevard to Bethel....both killer rides.

Whatever you decide is cool... i'll send you a reminder on May 16th, okay?!

If I come down it will be Sun afternoon, and will be looking to stay in the micro in Robbinsville.
Free breakfast, then coming to the lodge for gatherings to ride and/or lounge.
I usually take the rear position when driving in groups, because I know from doing this many times, that I'm not going to keep up with anyone, for a number of reasons, police, and different areas require me to adjust speed to safe speed(which a lot of ppl don't do).
It's just easier to ride drag. I don't consider myself a fun driver to ride with. Most come down there to blow these roads to their limits, which is fine with me, I'm just not going to do it. Having done a lot of track days in Colorado, I know with the aid of flag-men on a closed circuit, and mostly nothing to run into if I were to go off track, I can up my speeds way more than I will on a public road. I was down there last year with our group, and there was no one I went with that I kept up with. If we have a destination than I'll be there within 5-10 min. usually. I'm also interested in taking some pic's with my camera, which requires stopping in route.
Other wise I like socializing with you guys,

If I come down it will be Sun afternoon, and will be looking to stay in the micro in Robbinsville.
Free breakfast, then coming to the lodge for gatherings to ride and/or lounge.
I usually take the rear position when driving in groups, because I know from doing this many times, that I'm not going to keep up with anyone, for a number of reasons, police, and different areas require me to adjust speed to safe speed(which a lot of ppl don't do).
It's just easier to ride drag. I don't consider myself a fun driver to ride with. Most come down there to blow these roads to their limits, which is fine with me, I'm just not going to do it. Having done a lot of track days in Colorado, I know with the aid of flag-men on a closed circuit, and mostly nothing to run into if I were to go off track, I can up my speeds way more than I will on a public road. I was down there last year with our group, and there was no one I went with that I kept up with. If we have a destination than I'll be there within 5-10 min. usually. I'm also interested in taking some pic's with my camera, which requires stopping in route.
Other wise I like socializing with you guys,

Monk, regardless of whether you can make it or not, this early dragon crowd will be pretty slow compared to the big shindig in September. In fact, I fully expect to lead the pack... and that in itself is a sad commentary. But as you pointed out, talent is more than going fast... it's going fast safely... and that's the rub. So I like your points about safety and driving within your limits at all times, which (cough cough!) not everybody does. As for me, if you ever care to ride shotgun (always invited) you should know that I tend to run hard in spurts but slow down quite often due to the multitude of risks I see. I always like to tell people I was a California Driving School instructor, then when I have them helplessly strapped inside the car -- going sideways -- (just kdding) I tell them the other side of the story... they fired me! Part of that story is actually true.... just not the going sideways part.

I'd also like to make a point about the SI or other cars with better suspensions and better tires ... cars that enable drivers to do things (safely) that other cars just can't do. So I'd be interested in how you might drive my SI, for example, with HFP suspension and Pilot Super Sports that stick like glue. Not that it matters but I believe your times would be better and you'd still feel completely safe.

Another thought: I definitely prefer the Moonshiner #28 -- not only for its less demanding twisties but because the more forgiving 50mph (or is it 55?) speed limit. To me that's huge. It's huge because 55mph is fast enough to have a really good time out there, whereas the Dragon almost requires a frequent spurt to 40mph (+10 over) to make it interesting. (ok, that part is debatable) Point is, driving like THAT (30 to 45, back to 30, back 45, etc., etc, constantly over the speed limit then back down) is a LOT of work around such tight corners... so call me LAZY but the Moonshiner allows me to maintain a smooth but exciting flow without needing to break the law or be a Nascar driver to make it home alive.

Now for some history: the first night I was there last year Jason and Nathan were kind enough (and i mean that sincerely) to take me on a quick tour of The Dragon (and i mean quick!!) and I did keep up with them, sortof. But, as I told them afterwards, it took absolutely everything I had, and everything the car had... and THEN some, to accomplish that feat. You see, without knowing it I crossed that line of prudence and responsibility. Later, as I reflected on my near death experience, I promised myself: never again will I go outside my comfort zone and knowingly endanger myself or others. And I believe that's the position of Jason and Nathan as well. They're just in a different league than most of us.

You see, we might easily have the skills or the car to beat the car ahead of us.... but it's okay to make it happen tomorrow or the day after. It doesn't have to happen right now... and besides --- we're not really racing anybody. We all just want to have a good time. Rather than push the envelope I think it's so much better to give the other driver a compliment for being better/faster and leave it at that. They get a nice ego stroke for their driving skills (and working on their car the last 6 months!) and they know you're a better man for gracefully admitting defeat. Everybody wins.

Anyway, hope to see you next month.... or in September. As before, come by the restaurant and steal my fries any time.

Yes I am one of those push my car to the limits safely guys but I also don't mind slowing down sometimes, especially when headed back to the lodge after you miss the braking spot at 11:30 at night and end up understeering almost into the rock wall and at the last second the car catches and you get launched somewhat back to normal, hopefully with clean undies.... I have thou spent many years praticing on closed courses, SCAA marshells and event coordinators have gotten mad at me, and back roads in the wee early hours to do this and my car is setup correctly

Like I have said many times everyone has a different pace and different cars and the Dragon is not a racetrack it's a public road and this is a meeting spot for friends who like to drive, some more quickly than others, and not to race or be better than someone else.

I love and prefer Moonshiner 28 and Cherahola skyway over the Dragon, it's more technical, less cops and more fun.

And Bruce that first night was not the Dragon, it was Fontana to the start of the exhaust shoot, so Moonshiner 28, the twisty section....lol. We where too tired to drive the whole Dragon and back.

Interesting, very interesting. My Dragon teacher was none other than @k757 and within three days I was moving with urgency but staying within control. So much so we tagged a group of locals who had taken off nearly two minutes before us. We were also blessed with little to no traffic and no cops. I'm hoping for much of the same. When the group wants to move at a certain pace I am fine with that, but sometimes the need to hustle is too strong. So we'll see what happens. This is my first trip meeting all of you so I will be keeping that in mind the whole time.

Back