2012 Civic MPG - share your current gas mileage

Tried to upload a picture but the file size was too large.. 2012 Si 41.3mpg average. 80% highway (60mph-65mph some hills, 45 degrees farenheit) and 20% city. No cruise control used and no drafting. The sweet spot i found with our gearing is right at 62mph (+/- 1mph on flat roads) in 6th gear of course. You may be able to squeeze a few more mpg at a bit lower of a speed but then you look like an *** for going slow. Through the city Ive found 37mph in 5th gear is where optimal mpg is achieved. I was of course trying my hardest to conserve gas but at the same time driving realisticly (i.e. not coasting in neutral for miles). I can get these numbers anytime I choose, Its just not as fun. lol. Im waiting to see what the difference will be in 80+ degree weather.

Tried to upload a picture but the file size was too large.. 2012 Si 41.3mpg average. 80% highway (60mph-65mph some hills, 45 degrees farenheit) and 20% city. No cruise control used and no drafting. The sweet spot i found with our gearing is right at 62mph (+/- 1mph on flat roads) in 6th gear of course. You may be able to squeeze a few more mpg at a bit lower of a speed but then you look like an *** for going slow. Through the city Ive found 37mph in 5th gear is where optimal mpg is achieved. I was of course trying my hardest to conserve gas but at the same time driving realisticly (i.e. not coasting in neutral for miles). I can get these numbers anytime I choose, Its just not as fun. lol. Im waiting to see what the difference will be in 80+ degree weather.

41mpg is bad *** completely well done :clapping:

I have pictures of doing 37+ on my '13 Si Sedan.. It's not unheard of on flat roads where I live.. It's hard to keep my foot out of the gas though.. I'm averaging over 30 on my Fuelly so far.. Haven't had a single tank under 30 yet and I go WOT to redline frequently.

The rules i've been using is 5th until 40mpg.. Then 6th onwards.. I also find around 60mph in 6th is about my sweet spot too.. After this speed the car has to continually work against the load but Honda has always underrated their MPG figures.. Where as most other manufacturers inflate their numers.. *cough*Hyundai*cough*.. Claiming their Veloster Turbo gets rated numbers.. I almost bought one until I read it was false and people we're trying to hypermile and still not get close to the rated numbers. Then you have Honda EASILY getting 34 mpg on the Si 2.4 liter engine.

I only drive about 20 miles a day mostly street somwhat spirited lol and still popping off about 28.5 - 28.8-9 and i fill up once every two weeks so im not complaining one bit :dopey:

Ill check that out tomorrow mine never resets its been at 27.4 since I got it! It moves up and Down slightly but that's about it.

You must have it set to the cars mileage or something, except i didnt know that was an option. Since mine refreshes when i fill, the numbers changes drastically for the first 50 miles or so then it gets harder to raise an lower the mpg. Im assuming it uses distance travelled to help calculate the avg mpg. So its not "realtime" per-say. Im not sure if realtime is a possible setting.

You must have it set to the cars mileage or something, except i didnt know that was an option. Since mine refreshes when i fill, the numbers changes drastically for the first 50 miles or so then it gets harder to raise an lower the mpg. Im assuming it uses distance travelled to help calculate the avg mpg. So its not "realtime" per-say. Im not sure if realtime is a possible setting.

I just what mine to reset when I fill the car up. So. Guess I need to change that something else

A new member (sandra singer) has some questions about mileage and the Econ mode. Can anybody that knows how econ works better give some insight? I assume it has something to due with highway speeds.

I joined because instead of reading the manual (big mistake!), I thought I'd ask my fellow Civic fans about a gas mileage issue. Recently, I drove to Corona del Mar and just for the heck of it, turned off my ECON button. MY MPG TURNED OUT TO BE BETTER - MUCH BETTER - LIKE 40. Am I crazy? I was driving about 68-72 the whole way. What is the deal, please?

Last edited:
Just returned from a trip to Oklahoma, recorded mileage over most of the trip. ( actual gallons vs miles ) From when I filled up and reset the trip counter, drove 2122.3 miles, burned 65.357 gallons of fuel at much higher than legal speeds. Actual mileage = 32.472 US MPG. I-mid display reported 32.5, so I would have to say it is accurate over long distances. During the slower legs of the trips, the mileage was over 37, but driving 80-85-90 at times killed mileage.

2012 LX 5 speed manual.

19.6MPG for me now :)

Pretty happy! It's probably because i don't redline as much because mr. tsudo is a boss and is loud as f*ck!

then again.. it is a 4 cylinder econo car! hahahahaha!

Last edited:
I live in Louisiana, about an 1.5 hours away from New Orleans. The most I've gotten on a trip to N.O has been 46 mpg, at an average of 55-70 mph; kicks down to about 42 if I go over the speed limit. Going to work every day, which is a mixture of highway and city (not to N.O) I get 34-38 mpg. Running a 1.8L Stock everything 2012 Civic LX. Wanting to get an Injen CAI, so hopefully that'll get even better. :-D! :badger:

photo (49).JPG

was just curious as to what everyone else is getting and your driving habits!!??

I drive more aggressively through 3rd gear then cruze from 4-6 gear. i rarely drive on interstate at all . Probably 150 miles total on highway and run ONLY premium gas.

Any others interested in sharing?

merged thread - quite a few mpg figures in this ... take a look back at others postings.

Back