DIY 2012 Civic Si - How to remove your shift knob

wow. loosening is from left to right using my photo of your shifter. i guess you have to go medieval and put a vicegrip on it and turn fro the driver side of the car to the passenger side. Should loosen up.

Well
wow. loosening is from left to right using my photo of your shifter. i guess you have to go medieval and put a vicegrip on it and turn fro the driver side of the car to the passenger side. Should loosen up.

Well this is the crazy thing. It will turn both ways. It just stays in one spot though.

Yeah luckily I work at a honda dealership so I'm going to have my buddy look at it in a bit. I was just hoping I could get it all figured out myself. Thanks for the help by the way!

Guys does anybody know if the nut part on the blox shift knob is supposed to be on bottom or top? I can't take the nut part off my shifter and looks like it's stripping :(

@webby @squiggy
Ok, I am trying to install my new extender...my initial shift knob installation was easy. Please find the thumbails which show my current issue. When installing the extender, I tightened it down fine and added the knob on top. Well, the knob doesn't line up correctly so I went to tighten from the base piece after loosening the knob up to the correct position. I have no way to tighten the base piece. The entire part from the black rings down to the metal separate from the rest of the shifter spins in both directions freely. I am at a loss right now. Am I overlooking something or did I possibly over tighten? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I also snapped the black clip this time...but I will address this later...:meh:

IMG_6851.JPG IMG_6852.JPG IMG_6853.JPG

@webby @squiggy
Ok, I am trying to install my new extender...my initial shift knob installation was easy. Please find the thumbails which show my current issue. When installing the extender, I tightened it down fine and added the knob on top. Well, the knob doesn't line up correctly so I went to tighten from the base piece after loosening the knob up to the correct position. I have no way to tighten the base piece. The entire part from the black rings down to the metal separate from the rest of the shifter spins in both directions freely. I am at a loss right now. Am I overlooking something or did I possibly over tighten? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I also snapped the black clip this time...but I will address this later...:meh:

View attachment 45990 View attachment 45991 View attachment 45992

The retainer is not meant to be threaded all the way down the shift lever. The stock retainer is designed to work in tandem with the stock knob. The two surfaces stay together because they are threaded towards each other.

The retainer is not meant to be threaded all the way down the shift lever. The stock retainer is designed to work in tandem with the stock knob. The two surfaces stay together because they are threaded towards each other.
In other words it's supposed to spin and I'm going crazy? Haha

Dang, I guess I just never noticed it spun before. How am I able to line the knob facing forward without having the ability to tighten the bottom?

Only thing I can think of is to look for an aftermarket retainer.

@squiggy Last question, I promise. I got a bit confused but I understand what you mean now. I never used the retainer piece, actually, as I found it on the floor mat after the fact. Regardless, because I tightened the aftermarket extender all the way down, the two parts are now threaded together and I have no way to safely remove the extender if I wished to? I appreciate the help.

@squiggy Last question, I promise. I got a bit confused but I understand what you mean now. I never used the retainer piece, actually, as I found it on the floor mat after the fact. Regardless, because I tightened the aftermarket extender all the way down, the two parts are now threaded together and I have no way to safely remove the extender if I wished to? I appreciate the help.

Well, you don't want it to loosen up and slip during use. When you want to take it off, use some pliers. You may want to put some rubber around it so you don't leave teeth marks. (there is a joke in there somewhere)

I just saw this thread and it reminded me of this guy whose buddy said he would change his shift knob for him for free. He got the car back like this.

image.jpg image.jpg

Back