9thcivic Tail of the Dragon Part II: Official Information and Attendee Thread

Although my wheels and tires are the same size as before, I'm rubbing quite a bit when decelerating and turning or hitting bumps. I believe the RE-11s are beefier, they look beefier. I'm gonna have to fix that or my dragon rides will be obnoxious and annoying. There's a clip I can remove and tuck the fender in more, but other than that I'm not sure what I'll do if it doesn't eliminate the problem

Stock size? Those types of tires run a little wider, this is why I dont typically lower cars.

Stock size? Those types of tires run a little wider, this is why I dont typically lower cars.

Yeah, stock size 225/40/18, if I recall correctly. I have adjustable Koni coilovers, but I don't plan on going any higher =). My car isn't that low anyway. If the fender liner mod trick doesn't work, I'll look into what else is easiest to do.. I wonder if I could do 1-2 degrees of camber.. I'm not sure what it is set at now, maybe zero. I'll have to poke around the VW forums or ask my mechanic on route 129 (near the dragon)

Why am I not planning on driving? Real talk: I've only had a 5 spd for a year and while I'm pretty good at driving it now I am much much (much?) more confident in an automatic. I'd rather use this trip to meet everyone and check everything out instead of stressing over driving the Dragon in a non-embarrassing way. (I know you guys would be cool about it but I know I'd feel awkward about my driving.)

Why am I not planning on driving? Real talk: I've only had a 5 spd for a year and while I'm pretty good at driving it now I am much much (much?) more confident in an automatic. I'd rather use this trip to meet everyone and check everything out instead of stressing over driving the Dragon in a non-embarrassing way. (I know you guys would be cool about it but I know I'd feel awkward about my driving.)

Understandable, it takes enough concentration to drive the road without having to worry about shifting and being in the right gear....

Definitely understandable. If I let Ryan drive, I would make him stay in second in the Si or third in the BMW.

From the extravagant brake upgrade that I saw, You plan on slowing down better than anyone else. :thumbsup:

LOL.

Hey etf, have you seen the DSG transmissions in the VW/Audis? I heard you went to the auto for your wife, it's a auto-manual with two clutches, computer controlled, paddle shifters, auto mode etc. Shifts extremely fast... rev matches on down shift perfectly, etc.

LOL.

Hey etf, have you seen the DSG transmissions in the VW/Audis? I heard you went to the auto for your wife, it's a auto-manual with two clutches, computer controlled, paddle shifters, auto mode etc. Shifts extremely fast... rev matches on down shift perfectly, etc.

More things to break lol, I would hate to pay out of pocket to replace one.

Why am I not planning on driving?

I think 07TLX could chime in, but you'd probably be in 3rd gear pretty much the entire road. You should at least drive it once. Even if it's early/late in the day to avoid crowds. You could drive it at any speed you feel comfortable with.

I think 07TLX could chime in, but you'd probably be in 3rd gear pretty much the entire road. You should at least drive it once. Even if it's early/late in the day to avoid crowds. You could drive it at any speed you feel comfortable with.

Problem is there is no low end grunt with the LX so it's a 2nd and 3rd gear road just to have fun to take your time and feel comfy mainly 2nd with the occasional 1st gear. I can take her(?) out for a slow run in my car one morning or evening and show what has to be done..

07TLX 2nd is pretty tall isn't it? I know in the AT you can hit 68mph... how far does it go in the 5-speed? Miss OMG I think could get away with 2nd or 3rd the whole time.

68 in 2nd...in the r18? Has to be 3rd. I think the 8th si was only in the high 50's for 2nd gear.

Last edited:
Ya, 68 in 2nd on the A/T. At least mine does it if I floor it trying to merge. I don't know about the manual. I could be wrong... maybe it's third. Ill try it out on the way to work today.

Last edited:
07TLX 2nd is pretty tall isn't it? I know in the AT you can hit 68mph... how far does it go in the 5-speed? Miss OMG I think could get away with 2nd or 3rd the whole time.

3rd is the tall gear.... 2nd tops out around 50. The issues is with the road, there are so many turns and twists that staying in one gear and trying to go slow will bog down the car...

I know when I drive it hard I am in 3rd mainly running at like 4k-7k rpm and downshifting to 2nd for some of the corners...

1st: 30
2nd: 50
3rd: 70
4th: No Clue
5th...
6th...

All numbers are ± 5 mph.

This.

I drive slow and it was still fun. Have to do it at least once.

Back