DIY Clutch Delay valve Removal

The bmw guys have been deleting the clutch delay valve for a while now. What it really does is give you complete control over the clutch action. The only reason for the delay valve to be there is to minimize the driveline shock from people who don't know how to properly drive a stick. Basically, it limits the flow rate of brake fluid to the clutch, limiting the rate at which the clutch engages. In other words, no matter how quickly you can move your leg, the clutch will only engage as fast as the delay valve lets it.

If you can properly feather a clutch on launch and know how to shift properly, there really is no downside to this mod.

Oh joy a free Mod that will actually do some difference! Getting this done once there is a break in the weather. Thanks for sharing!

Last edited:
As the late macho man randy savage would say OOOOOOOHHHHHHH YYYYIIIIEEEEEHHHH !!!!!!
I know what im doing this weekend lol :domokundance::driving:

Word if advice when bleeding ur clutch make sure you watch your reservoir as my dumbass didn't and wasn't gettin pressure but it's fine now... Took it out for the test run and man oh man does it make all the difference in the world MEAN ASSSS BURNOUTS NOW FOR SURE!!!!!! Clutch pedal elbow engages real close to the floor board unlike b4 when it was almost all the way out!!! THIS IS A DEFINITE MUST DO MOD!!!!

Word if advice when bleeding ur clutch make sure you watch your reservoir as my dumbass didn't and wasn't gettin pressure but it's fine now... Took it out for the test run and man oh man does it make all the difference in the world MEAN ASSSS BURNOUTS NOW FOR SURE!!!!!! Clutch pedal elbow engages real close to the floor board unlike b4 when it was almost all the way out!!! THIS IS A DEFINITE MUST DO MOD!!!!
With the beamers it was a must do. While the CDV helped even shitty manual drivers look smooth, it really sucked for performance driving. I didn't realize the Si had one that was just as restrictive, but it makes sense that it would be a night and day difference without it.

:think: so if you do this i take it that this will void tranny warrantee huh ?

Last edited:
well if people are saying thats its a night and day feel on this mod they will notice it right away on the feel of the clutch when it needs to be serviced and what not .
they will probably think you hondata'd or somthing lol .

If they notice it, but what are the odds of them checking this piece?
Unless they're on the forum and know what to look for, a simple visual inspection of the slave won't reveal any modification. They'd need to actually open it up to tell, and they wouldn't go through the trouble unless you had catastrophic failure. With that said, it does make it more likely that a bad driver abusing the car will have clutch or transmission issues down the road.

the nice thing about this mod is that the clutch engagement point becomes consistent. with the CDV, depending on how fast you release the clutch pedal, the clutch would "feel" like it would start to engage at different points along the pedal's travel. take out the lag in the action and it'll always engage in the same place.

Back