DIY Clutch Delay valve Removal

@SavageWS6 id run the PRL Motorsport SS clutch line, only because it used factory earl an fittings, and the length is much more accurate there no pulling like with the P2R. Also the PRL bypassing some portion of the clutch line which makes for an easier install! Trans fluid Run Amsoil MTL, **** makes your tranny feel like butter. but with your car 15k miles you dont need to waste the money on the tranny fluid yet. I also used DOT4 clutch fluid/brake fluid

@PASCIAK I went ahead and orderd the PRL motorsports one to begin with since it made more sense to get that. Ya I've been a Amsoil fan for a while, lots of options I have for trans fluid.

@SavageWS6
amsoil is the best, and lab results to prove it! otherwise the PRL is better, i had to return my P2R ss line because the earl an fittings were uncrimped

Wait.... Im working on the car now. I have the PRL Stainless line. It's the longest line, and does it replace the rubber hose (obliviously) and right into the slave cylinder?

EDIT: Yes it does, answered my own questioned.

I've never done work like this before on a car since I've never had nice things. Things I've learned along the way if anyone else wants to do this.

1. If the solid line to the slave cylinder is just spinning, hold the nut that's on the slave cylinder. It's a 17mm.
2. Use a craftsman pick. Very top one for the CDV c-clip. I've had it for years and it finally came into use. http://ace.imageg.net/graphics/product_images/pACE3-18611114enh-z7.jpg

I took a 3/8's extension, took a hammer and tapped the end two times. Used the top pick in the picture, only took me 5 seconds to remove. (Oh also, sprayed it with WD40 to loosen it up, all I had on hand)

3. Just remove the battery, and all the air box components, ya its a extra 5-10 minutes of work, but god damn did it make it much easier to work it.
4. Those rubber bushings? Jesus christ, take a razor blade, cut the rolled over tabs of the bushing off. Took me about 2 minutes, pushed the bushing right through. Saved me time and I didn't have to worry about damaging the cables. (Since I installed Hybrid Bushings)

No more tips yet, USPS failed again on there delivery service so I didn't get my MTEC springs. Hoping I get them tomorrow.

Last edited:
Another update. Had nice cool weather today so got to work on the MTEC springs and trans fluid swap. The race springs are totally worth. I was worried about them making it totally uncomfortable to drive since there "race" but nope. I'd recommend them

Also drained the trans fluid. It wasn't in too bad shape, but sending it to black stone tomorrow. I put in Royal Purple Synchomax High performance. I totally avoided the whole Amsoil BS that I read in the other thread.

It's like with this transmission, every small upgrade you do it gets that much better and more fun. The clutch engagement felt smooth with Royal purple, but it's only been in there for a few hours. I'll give it a while and wonder how the break down will go

Regardless of whats said, Amsoil has beaten every competitor in every aspect of oil performance there is through labratory proven results! Lets be honest, if Amsoil could be had in local retail stores like autozone or o reilys you would have purchased that instead of the royal purple :)

Regardless of whats said, Amsoil has beaten every competitor in every aspect of oil performance there is through labratory proven results! Lets be honest, if Amsoil could be had in local retail stores like autozone or o reilys you would have purchased that instead of the royal purple :)

After the lab tests I have had done, I would not put AmSoil back in my transmission.

Ya that's the only reason I avoided Amsoil for the transmission. Those results from Blackstone don't lie. I've ran Amsoil in my race spec LT1 motor I rebuilt, and various other applications with no issues. Even Amsoil on the bottle don't use with LSD's.

Why no Amsoil in the trans? Never had issues in the old FG2.

Bad analysis after having some in for less than a year and less than 10,000 mils on it. Not willing to take that chance again. I believe @Bruce Bartlow had a bad analysis as well.
'tis true. Surprised me too, a big Amsoil fan myself. But there was no excuse, as OEM lab results were so much better. Not sure what happened but i suspect Amsoil screwed up... it even says on their MTF label: "not for limited slip differentials", which means Civic SI/Acura TSX

lol... you're right! But i tried the Amsoil (i had to, i'm a dealer!) and like squiggy said the lab results don't lie... and the results were BAD, as in my-tranny-was-about-to-blow bad. Since then all the labs using Honda OEM are fine, showing little to no wear.
(Although, i have to admit, i'm currently trying the Royal Purple MTF just to see how it holds up. I normally don't like RP products... so this is a true test. My initial impressions were good, with RP providing superior shift feel to OEM fluids, or so it seemed at the beginning. But to me the real issues are: 1.) wear metals and a distant #2 factor -- fluid longevity.

lol... you're right! But i tried the Amsoil (i had to, i'm a dealer!) and like squiggy said the lab results don't lie... and the results were BAD, as in my-tranny-was-about-to-blow bad. Since then all the labs using Honda OEM are fine, showing little to no wear.
(Although, i have to admit, i'm currently trying the Royal Purple MTF just to see how it holds up. I normally don't like RP products... so this is a true test. My initial impressions were good, with RP providing superior shift feel to OEM fluids, or so it seemed at the beginning. But to me the real issues are: 1.) wear metals and a distant #2 factor -- fluid longevity.

Keep me/us updated on the Royal Purple.

I was in the same boat about not liking RP. RP has always been super hyped up, but was never backed up with good results. I'm gonna pull RP out after 15k because I drive hard, plus I don't exactly trust RP. If Bruce's results show good wear, not very high metals or extreme thinning then I'll keep it in for 30k.

I did take my car out for a drive this evening to get the RP at least through the gearbox, warmed up. Shifts were consistent during cold, warm up and operating temp. I'm hoping my RP gamble pays off.

I'm interested in knowing the results too, if RP can provide a better shifting feel in cold weather and be good for the trans, I'd make the switch.

I feel ya. Honda MTF was so god damn clunky in cold weather, made me cry. I had to shift so slow to make sure I got into gear. That was in San Diego when it was 55F+ in the morning driving to work. When I had clear days here in PA ~30F... It was terrible

@SavageWS6 @squiggy apparently, royal purple doesnt recommend Synchromax MTL for our transmissions either. Theyre saying Royal Purple HPS or XPR 5-W30 motor oil
http://www.royalpurpleconsumer.com/...le_Transmission_Lubricant_Cross_Reference.pdf
Even though amsoil specifies it isnt to be used in Limited Slip diff applications, and also specifies that its a direct replacement for Honda MTL. Now a company of their stature i highly doubt they would make a recommendation like this that would ultimately be detrimental to our LSD, or 6-speed trans for that matter.

Even though amsoil specifies it isnt to be used in Limited Slip diff applications, and also specifies that its a direct replacement for Honda MTL. Now a company of their stature i highly doubt they would make a recommendation like this that would ultimately be detrimental to our LSD, or 6-speed trans for that matter.

Despite what they may say or recommend, lab tests don't lie. Our transmissions have excessive wear with AmSoil. Hell, I barely had it in a year and under 10,000 miles on it.

I dont see how thats true, when Amsoil has the best Anti-Wear additives developed so far in the industry. Do you @squiggy have these documents to post. because if this is true ill be draining my oil today!

Back