DIY Clutch Delay valve Removal

Here is what I did. NOTE: I used a speed bleeder and a bleeder bag

1. open bleeder on slave
2. with reservoir open fill with brake fluid
3. pump clutch pedal until no bubbles exit the bleeder
3a. if reservoir level is still high pump some more fluid out of the slave until reservoir level is at a good
4. close bleeder
5. pump pedal a few more times and should be good.

I repeated the steps above twice to be sure I got all air out of system

I actually bought a speed bleeder.. So i just pump until i see no bubbles.. But i still have no pressure.. Im gonna try pumping it with the bleeder closed.. And then open the speed bleeder and pump again..

I always make sure the resevour is full.. Sometimes i pump the slave unit too and get ait coming out.. But i think this is just taking too long

Here is what I did. NOTE: I used a speed bleeder and a bleeder bag

1. open bleeder on slave
2. with reservoir open fill with brake fluid
3. pump clutch pedal until no bubbles exit the bleeder
3a. if reservoir level is still high pump some more fluid out of the slave until reservoir level is at a good
4. close bleeder
5. pump pedal a few more times and should be good.

I repeated the steps above twice to be sure I got all air out of system
Yea i have the speed bleeder too but no bag

Ok.. Got it.. Finally had some time.. So for anyone else who ever has a problem like mine..
-Pumping the clutch rapidly, when the bleeder valve is closed in between draining, definitely worked for me.. I was getting straight fluid when I was bleeding it but no pressure..
- then I took your advice.. When I closed the valve I would pump the pedal about 20 times rapidly and I would get some air bubbles when I would bleed it afterwards.. I repeated this like 5-6 times and I finally got the right pressure.
-I installed the cmc a week before then I did the CDv delete a week later.. So there was air trapped in there..
Thanks a lot guys.. Appreciate it.. Shifting feels great too!!! Definetly glad I did this...

removed my CDV today. Clutch actually feels nicer on the drivetrain. I always felt like the CDV delayed the movemeny of fluid slightly but then made engagement even more harsh. Now the clutch almost feels softer as a virtue of the clutch being able to be engaged with more precision. Feels much better for around town driving.

20160408_103300.jpg
I did the CDv delete.. Now I can't get pressure.. I don't see any air bubbles coming out but I'm still not getting any pressure to the pedal. I don't get it.

I did mine yesterday. Had my mechanic help me out since I didn't have all the tools at home to do it by myself. Took it for a test drive and everything felt great, much more definition in the clutch, but I immediately was worried when it felt much softer for the first half of the pedal travel. (Is this how others who have done the delete would describe the new pedal feel? I see everyone saying the pedal feels stiffer, but mine felt like a pillow in comparison to before taking it out.)
Low and behold, got almost all the way home and my clutch went out - no pressure on the pedal at all. I attempted to bleed it further roadside, but without tools it was difficult; got lots of fluid all over my hands, but still no clutch pedal actuation. I left it at my mechanic overnight so they could look at it since I had to be at work first thing in the morning, still waiting to hear from them.

Did anyone else have this problem? Does anyone have speculation to the cause of the problem? Below is a pic of the valve we removed. It is still in one piece, the black piece doesn't seem to want to detach from the clear/white piece.

Problem solved. My mechanic re-flushed the system and noted air still in the lines. Proper bleeding done a second time, and we're good to go.

The pedal feel is significantly improved, and less spongy than when I drove it yesterday. It no longer feels like there is something dampening the travel, especially when letting off. At higher RPMs, gear changes are super smooth and no longer feel laggy; the delay of the engine dropping down to the correct RPMs for the next gear is even further reduced now from when I had my tune done. It feels like a clutch should, and I couldn't be happier.

Problem solved. My mechanic re-flushed the system and noted air still in the lines. Proper bleeding done a second time, and we're good to go.

The pedal feel is significantly improved, and less spongy than when I drove it yesterday. It no longer feels like there is something dampening the travel, especially when letting off. At higher RPMs, gear changes are super smooth and no longer feel laggy; the delay of the engine dropping down to the correct RPMs for the next gear is even further reduced now from when I had my tune done. It feels like a clutch should, and I couldn't be happier.
Yea.. I, glad you fixed it... If I was you, I would keep a mental note of the clutch fluid resivour.. Make sure it's always at the same level.. If the level starts to go down you may have a leak.. Once the resivour is empty you will start to get air in the system..

Yea so was something loose when you went back to your mechanic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea so was something loose when you went back to your mechanic?

The bleeder key was loose. I noticed it wiggle when I reached down under the slave cylinder to see if there was any fluid coming out and could move it with my fingers when I pulled over. My fore-arms are all bruised from wedging them down behind the radiator, lol. It must not have been tightened properly when we finished the flush and moved on to the radiator.

Last edited:
The bleeder key was loose. I noticed it wiggle when I reached down under the slave cylinder to see if there was any fluid coming out and could turn it with my fingers when I pulled over. My fore-arms are all bruised from wedging them down behind the radiator, lol. It must not have been tightened properly when we finished the flush and moved on to the radiator.
Ouch.. So every time you hit the clutch in it was spraying fluid out and every time it would come back up it would suck a little air in.. That's why it kept getting worse like you said.. O well as long as it's good now..

Ouch.. So every time you hit the clutch in it was spraying fluid out and every time it would come back up it would suck a little air in.. That's why it kept getting worse like you said.. O well as long as it's good now..

I don't think it was loose enough that I was loosing fluid, as my reservoir had not gone down; if I was, it was only a couple drops worth. I think we forgot to tighten it with the wrench after finishing, so the vibrations of the engine finally worked it loose just enough for some air to slip in and cause the pressure to drop off. When I first felt it when I was checking to see if fluid was leaking out it wiggled a tiny bit, but I couldn't screw it in or out with my fingers; I had to use my multi-tool to loosen it enough to try and bleed it further roadside, which I was able to do and ended up with fluid all over my hand. Without additional fluid on hand I did not want to bleed it too far, so after a couple solid squirts came out and there was still no pressure I resorted to calling a tow truck. I definitely think it was not bled properly the first time due to the squishy pedal feel I had, and no longer have after fixing the issue.

Now, I am definitely going to keep an extra bottle of brake fluid in my car for emergencies, as I have seen suggested by so many others here.

The slave cylinder for my 12 ex looks differentthan those pictures. Where is the CDV on mine?

If the '12 EX is similar to the '12 Fit, they included the CDV inside the Clutch Master Cylinder (not in a separate slave cylinder like the Si). If this is the case, the only way to do the CDV delete is to replace the entire CMC with one that does not have a CDV inside, like from an older model Civic. I personally have not seen anyone try to do the CDV delete in anything but an Si, but here is a Fit forum thread where they had to replace the entire CMC. Doesn't look too difficult, just a matter of finding the right replacement parts.
http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-diy-repair-maintenance/76598-clutch-delay-valve-delete-diy.html

Last edited:
Back