DIY Bright White LED DRL's

The guy who opened this thread seems to be having a problem blowing fuses by flashing high beams. Do you have this problem? Sounds like you just did a plug and play so there may be something with the LED's he got.

The guy who opened this thread seems to be having a problem blowing fuses by flashing high beams. Do you have this problem? Sounds like you just did a plug and play so there may be something with the LED's he got.

Yup I flash my DRL's and they work fine. No porblems whatsoever. Well I do get a "Check DRL's" heads up on the i-MID when I put the car in gear because the bulbs dont have resistors so the car thinks the bulbs arent using enough power, but I hide the warning by hitting the i-MID button. There are LED bulb kits like the one's I have, but with resistors on eBay for $25 extra than what I paid for both bulbs on Kplaygrounds website.

Yup I flash my DRL's and they work fine. No porblems whatsoever. Well I do get a "Check DRL's" heads up on the i-MID when I put the car in gear because the bulbs dont have resistors so the car thinks the bulbs arent using enough power, but I hide the warning by hitting the i-MID button. There are LED bulb kits like the one's I have, but with resistors on eBay for $25 extra than what I paid for both bulbs on Kplaygrounds website.
Other than the error is there any reason not to go with just a bulb swap. Doesn't seem like I would really need a decoder or intensifier like the OP did.

The reason he was blowing the fuse is because you cannot flash high beam with led-s that have single intensity,, you need special led bulbs that turn on extra leds when you flash them... i dont remember the name but their purpose is to allow you to "flash the highbeam" to other drivers.....

The reason he was blowing the fuse is because you cannot flash high beam with led-s that have single intensity,, you need special led bulbs that turn on extra leds when you flash them... i dont remember the name but their purpose is to allow you to "flash the highbeam" to other drivers.....

ohhh i really like the sound of that

I got my LED DRL kit from ijdmtoy.com and it came with the resistors and "decoders" needed and I get no error, and can flash my hi-beams with no problems. I recommend that website

I got my LED DRL kit from ijdmtoy.com and it came with the resistors and "decoders" needed and I get no error, and can flash my hi-beams with no problems. I recommend that website
yeah i was looking at that site and saw those and im glad that someone tried them and they work. ordering a set soon

Just installed a set from ijdmtoy.com as well. Seems to work fine after a day of use. High beams seem to work as well..... I did notice that the metal piece on the decoder (orange housing) gets pretty hot. I haven't blown a fuse yet, but will monitor. Not sure if running in hi-beam mode is recommended or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 46
Just installed a set from ijdmtoy.com as well. Seems to work fine after a day of use. High beams seem to work as well..... I did notice that the metal piece on the decoder (orange housing) gets pretty hot. I haven't blown a fuse yet, but will monitor. Not sure if running in hi-beam mode is recommended or not.
what type are they? and did you install a cap after the decoder?

I wouldn't run the hi-beams just in case...
At the time i made the thread it was all about experimenting with it since noone had done a DIY so i went this route. The DRL have worked flawlessly, still no problems now.
Since i have the "intensifier" which makes the lights brighter, it sends too much power to the light when i flash the hi-beams and blows the fuse... i replaced the fuse with a 15 or 30, not sure now and can flash them without them going off now.

This is the kit I bought. http://store.ijdmtoy.com/9005-LED-Daytime-Running-Light-For-Acura-Honda-p/led_sku45_r2.htm

Ran them all day. They work well. Ran the hi beams for a bit too. No issues. Just make sure you mount the decoders to metal since they get hot.

I think that kit is a 68 smd led kit with 2 55watt resistors in it. You should put a cap after the "decorders"/resistors (http://www.fricknbrite.com/new-impr...-drl-daytime-running-light-module-1-each.html) and it will boost the brightness of your your drls and highs.

I did that intall on my 8th gen civic, but I used 108 smds (off ebay). They got the job done, but I want the lights to be brighter.

Most of the car websites buy their products wholesale from Asia, Ebay is actual Asian sellers. Cut off the middle man, but make sure if you're going to buy from ebay the person lists all the facts about the product. It shows they know their product.

Last edited:
That cap looks interesting for only $9.99. Running my hi beams is bright enough for me though. I don't want to run anything that will make it too hot.

Hey guys just finished up this project and decided on posting the materials you need to make your DRL's white if you want to.
Notice, running LED's in your DRL/Hi-beams will grant you no light output, therefore giving you no hi-beams at night. I would only install this if you have HID's or bright enough bulbs that you feel comfortable with. I myself have Nokya Arctic white low-beams, and they get the job done.

First you will need the LED bulb. I bought this one from Classy Autos on Amazon, but there are many others as well. Make sure it is a 9005 series.
http://www.amazon.com/Classy-9005-68-SMD-Bright-Lights/dp/B0057CD6AM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1348160078&sr=8-1&keywords=classy autos led

Once you install the bulb, you will get an error on i-mid. The error is caused because the LED's do not use up the 50+ watts that the stock halogens use, and the computer thinks the lights are off.

To get rid of this problem buy: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160782769899?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Once installed the warning goes away and all is normal.......

EXCEPT that the LEDS are too dull. This is caused because the DRL's are made to run on way less power than the hi-beams. Try having someone in the car and have them flash the hi-beams while your DRL's are on. See how much brighter that its? Wouldnt you want to have them that bright always?

Well here is the fix:http://www.v-leds.com/Daytime-Running-Lights/Modules-Harnesses/NEW-IMPROVED-9005-PLUG-p6297704.html

I installed the decoder first and then this to the bulb. Make sure you install the decoder and this intensifier as well. I made the mistake of installing just the intensifier and blew both hi-beam fuses. Remember that the intensifier has double polarity, so if your lights won't turn on simply flip the plug over and connect it again.

I hope this helps some of you, i personally love the look and can't stand the yellow bulbs.

I'm no expert but through trial and error got here, feel free to ask any questions.
This picture is in broad daylight at noon, will take another in a bit

WP_001413_zps3ec06bdd.jpg

The third link doesn't exist anymore. Error 404..... =/

Back