F1 Appreciation Society

I know that there are F1 enthusiasts out there. Let's get the ball rolling on what is happening on the Formula 1 scene. I have to say that 2012 has been a dream season for me as my man Sebastian Vettel has totally owned the competition. Can anyone stop the Red Bull train or at least derail it? I think not.

I know that there are F1 enthusiasts out there. Let's get the ball rolling on what is happening on the Formula 1 scene. I have to say that 2012 has been a dream season for me as my man Sebastian Vettel has totally owned the competition. Can anyone stop the Red Bull train or at least derail it? I think not.

You're from the future?! :excited:

If you were among those who thought that Formula One and Texas would go together like pickles and ice cream, well, you may be right. And you may not be terribly disappointed, either, by the latest news surrounding the United States Grand Prix.

The first F1 race to come to the United States in half a decade was scheduled to take place next year in Austin, Texas. However, following doubts expressed by F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone on the project's progress, the latest development has construction on the Circuit of the Americas - the new motorsport complex being built to host the event - grinding to a halt.

A statement released by the track's administration confirms that the construction project has been put on hold indefinitely over a dispute with the company responsible for promoting the race. Apparently, Full Throttle Productions has yet to produce an actual contract with Formula One Management, or with organizers of the MotoGP series, prompting those behind the Circuit of the Americas to send home the 300 workers building it until Full Throttle can demonstrate that it will be used.

Here's hoping the parties can resolve their dispute and get back to business. Otherwise we'll have to wait another year for the Grand Prix of America to arrive in New Jersey. Follow the jump for the official announcement.

Major stakeholder wants out.. Bernie now wants $35m instead of $25m for the race. State were going to use trust funds to pay for it, now they backed out too.

Why I love F1.

dcd1115no233.jpg

Reuters is reporting now that Bernie has given until the Brazilian GP (Nov 27) for ALL the money or no more Austin

Last Minute Deal For Austin:

Everything is bigger in Texas. So it's appropriate that the hubbub surrounding the imminent return of the United States Grand Prix to the Lonestar State should come down to a big last-minute deal.

As you may recall, Formula One was set to come to Austin next year at a new track complex currently being built. However, construction on the Circuit of the Americas came to a halt after F1 chief Bernie Ecclestone expressed his doubts that they'd be able to pull it off. The problem apparently came down to public funding, which was reportedly delayed when the state comptroller told organizers they'd have to wait. With the $25 million bond due to Ecclestone's Formula One Management this week, an undisclosed last-minute deal has reportedly come through to get Bernie his money.

As a result, race organizers have reportedly secured the event's place on next year's calendar as planned, and construction will reportedly resume immediately now that the deal is a go. Somehow, we doubt this will be the last hiccup along the path of bringing Europe's favorite racing series to Texas, but for now it looks like everything is racing ahead.

the Senna movie is on itunes to rent, and Netflix instant streaming

sennamovieposter_630op_opt.jpg

The award-winning documentary Senna has been elusive for many American fans to see. It's had a limited release in theaters on the coasts, and even popped up in Netflix's Instant Streaming queue for a few accidental days, but otherwise us Yanks have had to watch from afar as everyone's been drooling over director Asif Kapadia's masterpiece about the life and death of Ayrton Senna.

That ended last week when Senna officially became available as a digital download. You can now watch the film on Netflix Instant Streaming (again) or rent it on iTunes. So far they're your only options if you live in North America, as owning this motion picture biography of the greatest Formula One driver who ever lived isn't an option until the DVD drops on March 6th, and there is no release date yet for a Blu-Ray version in the U.S.

would anyone else like to see another honda team that doesn't suck..? maybe it's just me, but i would be stoked to see honda producing a powerplant for an F1 team...I think it shows a lot of passion about the performance side of your company, and that you're not just out for the money...

I'm a sucker for all the trick aero tweaks the designers use. I miss those double diffusers :(

Although I'm EXTREMELY interested to see what the Mercedes F-duct in the rear spoiler is feeding. The announcers made such a huge point to comment on the fact that Shummi was barking orders at the corner workers to not show the underside of the car as they lifted it. :shadyhat:

Back