Not quite a Civic... but still fun

i like the narrow body look, but we are looking at options to push the rear wheels out a inch or so, unfortunately spacers not new wheels since real Fuchs alloys in 15x8 or 15x9 would cost close to 1000 per wheel and would potentially need refinishing

And wide body. :giggle:

even in the factory, the early wide body cars were just narrow body cars the rear arches were cut off of and wide ones welded in

Saga continues. But im learning!

Car feels like its been running lean so i gave it about 1/4 turn on its mixture control to put a little more fuel in, unfortunately its tryng to snow right now so i wont get to test it out till tomorrow.

Since dad was here while i was tinkering i put him to work as the key turner while i tried a few things. Turns out, if i hit the float on the fuel metering device which squirts a little fuel into the intake runners the engine catches instantly and runs beautifully on the first try of the key... until that bit of fuel you added runs out and it dies.

What i think this tells me is we have good spark, air, and fuel pressures are where they should be, lines are holding fuel as they should as well. But something is not supplying cold start fuel in the first 10-30 seconds of operation during start and initial warmup. Now i just have to figure out what mystery component this could be.

Are there any shops that specialize in Porsche around your area?

:thumbsup:That a sweet looking ride man i love how you put your sweat tears to restore it .....it came out great ! enjoy those beutiful days with her im sure she loves you back when you press the gas pedal .

Are there any shops that specialize in Porsche around your area?

we have a mechanic who usually works on it, hes been as stumped by this as we are, though hes getting tired of dealing with it is starting to try to convince us this is just a fact of life with the car.

been chatting with those guys, theyre a huge help

:thumbsup:That a sweet looking ride man i love how you put your sweat tears to restore it .....it came out great ! enjoy those beutiful days with her im sure she loves you back when you press the gas pedal .

it feels great downshifting to take a ramp in 2nd gear up to 65-70 passing everyone

Gah, fuel leak

and its coming from the single most expensive part in the engine, the fuel distributor. Hopefully it can be rebuilt, if not, gonna have to replace the $2000 fuel distributor and retune the engine either way.

Good news is my 1/4 blind adjustment to the mixture made the car run infinitely better than before, but then i found the fuel leak, dripping from the distributor into the airbox, and then down onto the right engine head, spark plug, and exhaust manifold. So the car is back to being parked till the fire risk from the fuel leak can be resolved

Was the distributor new (newish) when the restoration was done? Warranty?

No, i get the feeling that the mechanic who did the engine rebuild put the parts on a shelf since they came off working fine, and didnt plan on a 15 year long rebuild, didnt rebuild the parts like the distributor cause there was no perceived need to, and over time the rubber and such dried out leading to the condition were in now. I think the whole fuel system needs to be gone through and rebuilt. At this point there are only one or two more components that havnt failed and been rebuilt anyway.

I found a shop near me at school that can do the work, probably more expensive than our current mechanic, but a fresh set of eyes on it might be a good idea. Problem is transporting the car 250 miles.

Dang.... shaithy update.... hopefully you will be up and running once the weather is nice again though.

very true, plenty of worse times for major engine work than the dead of winter, and it opens up the garage for my dad to park his car

Magnus Walker, one of my new favorite people, look him up for pictures of the rest of his collection, hes got the 911 bug bad. This video of his has the best description of just what the driving experience is like

It was great listening to Magnus speak about his passion for his 911, and driving in general. I liked his analogy of shifting being like a rifle bolt. He is definitely a driving enthusiast.

Spring break update!!!! It still doesnt run :sadbanana:... but its been lowered, and most of our list of stuff dealt with. The car is just waiting on a passenger side mirror and finding a fuel distributor to replace the one that blew at thanksgiving

But she looks fantastic sitting so low to the ground!

2014-03-10 12.49.35.jpg

after chatting with dad some we are probably adding a high mount brake light too, either will be the oem style light that is installed on the top of the spoiler or some custom fab job in the top of the rear window, but with the car sitting so low and the only brake lights being right on the bumper, wed rather not get rear ended

Back