Official Computer Talk Thread

ive been getting into playstation emulators recently. got ps1 working with gran turismo 2 and a crash banicoot game. then decided to try out a ps2 emulator. seems like my system cant handle this one too well, likes to slow down game play when the graphics get heavy. then i got forza horizon 4 going ( downloaded the game for free ) and it runs it at the lowest settings and 20-30 fps with some lagging graphics.
system is
amd 2200g
4x2 gig ram.
ssd
like 5 hdds with about 6 or more tbs ( i forget )
i did put forza on a hdd instead of the ssd as i was running out of room on it.
so now im thinking of just getting a 1660 gpu to be able to run forza at 1080p and 60fps. not sure if this will help with the emulators or not but im guessing it will. the 2200g uses 2 gigs of the ram for the graphics processor leaving 5.95gigs for the cpu.

Ps2 game emulation is still difficult for a pc to handle. There are tons of websites that go into great detail explaining the challenge of the pc having to essentially translate one language set to another. The ps2 hardware was also vastly different from pc architecture. These posts explain it a bit.

“when your modern computer is running a PS2 emulator and you're playing Grand Theft Auto and drive your car off a ramp, the computer doesn't simply calculate the trajectory for your car - it does a calculation of "what would a playstation2 calculate for the trajectory of a car." This extra step occurs for EVERY calculation the game makes and significantly slows things down.”

“Despite a large interest in PS2 emulation due to its sizable collection of games, it is still one of the hardest consoles to emulate for a number of reasons. First of all: many people believe that since the main CPU (Emotion Engine) runs at a clock speed of 294Mhz (299Mhz on later revisions), it would make emulation easy on recent hardware. But this is not the case, because the clock speed of the emulated CPU is not necessarily indicative of the ease of emulation. Specifically, the PS2 CPU contains a multitude of custom sub-components and chips such as the FPU co-processor, 2 Vector Units, IOP, SPU2, Graphics Synthesizer and SIF which together work asynchronously to comprise the 128-bit Emotion Engine. In order to emulate them perfectly with correct timing requires an enormous amount of power. Moreover, the PS2 just like PS1 uses the MIPS architecture instead of standard x86 code, thus making emulation slower.

Another big problem is the emulation of PS2’s own floating point unit (FPU) because it doesn’t follow the IEEE standard. To keep it simple, just changing a couple of numbers will cause glitches to occur to the game’s graphic (VU) and logic (EE), resulting in things like broken AI, odd behaviors or graphical bugs. While PCSX2 allows for the option of either clamping/rounding on both VU and EE as a solution to fix these glitches, it remains by far not the most accurate way to emulate the PS2 FPU.

To conclude on the problems with PS2 emulation, we come to hardware rendering. The PS2’s graphics pipeline acts very differently from modern GPU cards and emulating it in HW mode with any degree of accuracy is difficult. This is due in part to the versatility of PS2, fact that it doesn’t use fixed shaders, or that even the games themselves do not use a consistent formula to achieve different graphical effects. Various type of emulation enhancements like display resolution scaling leads to the typical “black lines glitch” because of the use of a non-integer resolution. While the OpenGL backend on PCSX2 greatly improved on many of these issues, most games still require “software rendering” to fix many common glitches, which in turn slows down the emulation. Although Games using mip-mapping (Ratchet & Clank, Ace Combat, etc...) and games running on the Snowblind Engine are playable in OGL HW mode with minimal problems on high-end PCs.

In summary, it is not possible to achieve close-to-perfection PS2 emulation with actual PC hardware, and even if it was possible, the results would most likely be unplayable. The PS2 is simply a very complex machine that even game developers struggled to work with. "

im not too concerned with the emulator at this point. i really just want to start playing xbox games on my pc now.

2GB.... :eek:

Free is good. What games you playing? Just emulators?
its costing me shipping and a bottle of bourbon. trying to play some xbox 360 games at 1080p 60fps and some emulators. just ordered a couple xbox one wireless controllers from walmart. seems to be the cheapest play to get them.

its costing me shipping and a bottle of bourbon. trying to play some xbox 360 games at 1080p 60fps and some emulators. just ordered a couple xbox one wireless controllers from walmart. seems to be the cheapest play to get them.

Hope it's a cheap bottle of bourbon ;)

At least I'm not getting ripped off. Rather buy this than a $200+ card that will play games at the level I want.

So I've misplaced my 6 pin cable for my power supply. Why can't you buy replacement cables for them???

Anyone know if the internet is right about psu modular cables not being interchangable? Guy at my work has a PCIe power cable I need but it's from an EVGA psu.

On the psu side they are not universal, so it will depend from brand to brand, or by model unfortunately.

yeah, everything i read says that too. i'll have to figure out the power and grounds on the psu and card and make sure the cable is correct. if it isnt i'll de pin the connector and put the pins in the right spots.

i keep looking into this and i feel like its the sata and other main connectors that can have different pin outs at the psu. for the pcie connector for 6 pin looks like its all the same. 3 powers and 3 grounds all in a row.

Last edited:
well, tried the evga cable, connector doesnt fit into my power supply so now ive resorted to contacting all the computer repair places around me to see if any of them might have this cable. im trying my hardest not to buy a new psu.

well, tried the evga cable, connector doesnt fit into my power supply so now ive resorted to contacting all the computer repair places around me to see if any of them might have this cable. im trying my hardest not to buy a new psu.

Hope they don't try to charge you too much for the cable if they have it. New PSU is around $40

Back