Official Computer Talk Thread

Will chime back in shortly. Currently in a tornado watch. Just had about 1/2" size hail for about 10 mins or so.

Update: everything passed by us and the second storm went South of us.

Last edited:
I've been researching a lot, but I'm still not 100% sure that I'm putting a good machine together. I also am not keen on what video card chipsets are good. Just from parsing through this thread, I see that a lot of you guys have done this several times-- so if you have some time, could you pick out any errors with my parts list? I know how to install parts-- I've just never been in a position to build anything remotely nice.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i RGB PLATINUM 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory )
Storage: Western Digital Blue 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (will add more later)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 5500 XT 8 GB MECH OC Video Card
Case: Thermaltake Core G21 Tempered Glass Edition ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Total: $1039.91 :confused:

You an RGB fan boy? :giggle: :hiding:

Are there specific games you’re wanting to use this computer for? That will usually determine what graphics card would be best suited

You didn't ask a question that I thought you'd ask.... What monitor(s) setup is @Honda-Fan using/going to use? That also plays a role into what GPU should be recommended.

For example: My setup -> 27" 1440p 144hz (primary) & 27" 1440p 60hz (secondary) - If I want to game at the highest FPS then a GTX 1660 GPU won't provide me the best gaming experience (of course pending the game).
I still have my GTX 970 in the closet. That thing did a great job at 1080p but once I got the 27" Acer Predator 1440p/144hz it definitely started to chug along.

Webby knows all! :hail:

He just uses Google. That's how he knows everything ;)

You an RGB fan boy? :giggle: :hiding:

You didn't ask a question that I thought you'd ask.... What monitor(s) setup is @Honda-Fan using/going to use? That also plays a role into what GPU should be recommended.

For example: My setup -> 27" 1440p 144hz (primary) & 27" 1440p 60hz (secondary) - If I want to game at the highest FPS then a GTX 1660 GPU won't provide me the best gaming experience (of course pending the game).
I still have my GTX 970 in the closet. That thing did a great job at 1080p but once I got the 27" Acer Predator 1440p/144hz it definitely started to chug along.

He just uses Google. That's how he knows everything ;)

I'm an RGB Wannabe! :rolleyes:

As far as screens go, it'll be a single 27" 1440p/144hz monitor.

....But what if @webby is Google? What if we're just typing questions to Webby and thinking it's a big search engine?

12774-TinFoilHat-May-Move02_800x.gif

What do you suggest with his monitor @bootyluvr ... nvidia rtx 2060 6 gig enough for that monitor/refresh? 1080 is a big jump in price clearly

So it got delivered today and I'm planning on installing it tonight. Hopefully I can get it figured out fairly easy.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwa2FN44rFk

I haven't watched this specific video, but I'm sure there are a million videos showing setup like this, or how many things you can configure for checking out stats and on and on on and with these access points. Some are crazy in depth if you get into their other equipment, and how you can map out things, restrict users/devices etc at all different levels.

I got it connected and everything is working but I'm not getting the speeds I should be. I tried to setup the passthrough on my router but not sure if I've done that right or what.

What do you suggest with his monitor @bootyluvr ... nvidia rtx 2060 6 gig enough for that monitor/refresh? 1080 is a big jump in price clearly

1440p/144hz monitor I'd definitely not recommend the 1660. Like you said the RTX 2060 should work fine.

Granted gotta remember some games you might not get 144 FPS depending on the intensity of the game. But most of the titles mentioned should be fine to get Max or above FPS

I've realized I have no damn clue what I'm doing with this setup. I'm going to have to take a break on it and clear my head and come back and see if I can get it working correctly.

I got it connected and everything is working but I'm not getting the speeds I should be. I tried to setup the passthrough on my router but not sure if I've done that right or what.
Did you set it to force 5ghz? 2.4 will provide larger range, but slower speeds

I think it was set on both since we still have a few things that don't run on 5ghz
For comparison, unplug the access point and run a test to see what speeds you get.

Ideal speed on 2.4ghz with that access point is 450megs.

it also has tools for spectral analysis where it’ll show interference on both channels to see if you’ve got issues there

Yeah, I get too frustrated with things like this and I'm trying to make myself chill out. I'll hold onto it for a few days and see what I decide to do. I've got anxiety problems and I'm having issues right now with it which has a lot to do with not getting things right. Maybe once I get back to normal I'll give it another shot.

Yeah just walk away for now and relax for a bit. You’ve got a lot of time to return with amazon. Hit me up if I can be of some help

Back