Official Computer Talk Thread

It’s a work computer. I can’t get into any of the settings or control panel

Does it let you fake your way into recovery mode (i.e. starting the machine, and forcing it to turn off before windows boots to login 3x)? If You can, try booting into safe mode with command prompt, and run "sfc /scannow" to at least eliminate the most common cause. If it still does it, it's something that would require way more deep diving.

DPC Watchdog usually sources from the actual SSD. It can be a handful of these lovely items--

System File (OS) Corruption (Usually what it is at our spot)
Mismatched SSD Firmware (Requires Driver-Diving)
Corrupted SSD Firmware
Or just a plain ol' busted SSD

Is that a Latitude 3400 or 5400?

Does it let you fake your way into recovery mode (i.e. starting the machine, and forcing it to turn off before windows boots to login 3x)? If You can, try booting into safe mode with command prompt, and run "sfc /scannow" to at least eliminate the most common cause. If it still does it, it's something that would require way more deep diving.

DPC Watchdog usually sources from the actual SSD. It can be a handful of these lovely items--

System File (OS) Corruption (Usually what it is at our spot)
Mismatched SSD Firmware (Requires Driver-Diving)
Corrupted SSD Firmware
Or just a plain ol' busted SSD

Is that a Latitude 3400 or 5400?
That's against policy to do that!

So I'm trying to get my Lenovo t520 working.

It would boot loop at first, then go into recover mode and freeze so I put it away for a while. Today I took it apart. Tried removing the ram one at a time to see if that was the issue with no fix. Tried another ssd still wouldnt work. Put the old ssd back in and it finally booted to Windows. Then I noticed a few seconds after booting it was freeze ,I'm guessing. Mouse won't move but it wouldnt restart either. Was able to get hardware monitor up before it froze and also watched the fan turn on on start up. Temp was 51c I believe. I'm not sure if it's a heat issue.

Any other ideas? I'm about to take it apart and re apply thermal paste to rule that out. Unless both ram sticks are bad.
I've been trying to do a clean windows install but it would go to the blue screen that says genration2 and stay there. After a few more attempts it wouldnt even get that far and freeze.

Ok. Had to edit. So what it's doing right now is booting to Windows. Mouse won't work half the time but it doesn't freeze. I can still move around with the arrow keys. About a minute or two later it turns off.

Just finished applying new paste with the same results.

Last edited:
do you have access to another desktop or laptop that is functioning by chance? Do you have any usb sticks as well?

if you scroll down a little bit on the page you can download slax linux iso for free. You can see if you can boot the computer off the usb drive. It runs the operating system off the stick, and it won't do anything to your windows OS or files. It will allow you to see the windows hard drive and files. If there is something you desperately need backed up or saved, you can copy it over to the usb stick.

do you have access to another desktop or laptop that is functioning by chance? Do you have any usb sticks as well?

if you scroll down a little bit on the page you can download slax linux iso for free. You can see if you can boot the computer off the usb drive. It runs the operating system off the stick, and it won't do anything to your windows OS or files. It will allow you to see the windows hard drive and files. If there is something you desperately need backed up or saved, you can copy it over to the usb stick.
I do but it's at work. So glad I sold my PC to buy a mountain bike.

I had windows running for about 20 minutes, then I started screwing around deleting programs I didn't need. Went to restart for a 3rd time and now it's acting up again. Also noticed that I cannot turn my wifi on using settings. And I don't think the laptop has a button to do that.

Noticed it started acting up when I re installed the keyboard but did not put the screws back in. Maybe its an issue with the cable for that but have a hard time believing that would cause this much issue.

When you say “mouse”, are you using an external mouse, or are you referring to the touchpad on the laptop? Would it be the end of the world if you did trying a full restore of the laptop? Do you have files that you’d need to backup?

When you say “mouse”, are you using an external mouse, or are you referring to the touchpad on the laptop? Would it be the end of the world if you did trying a full restore of the laptop? Do you have files that you’d need to backup?
Pointer/touchpad. It's also got that numbin that doesn't work. I used a wireless mouse for a bit before it messed up again. I ordered a HDD dock so I can get files off. Don't really need anything off this HDD though.

To do a full restore I'd have to be able to boot to Windows right? I'd ultimately like to get this laptop working so I don't need to build a $1000 PC with an APU because GPUs are still hard to get.
Was also surprised when I found out the cpu is replaceable in this laptop.

So it doesn’t actually boot into windows to do the restore. At boot you need to follow exactly what he does in the vid. He does a full restore to factory settings. You will lose all files if you do this. It’ll be like the day you bought the laptop.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7G93cWDVqo

ill take a look when i get home.
it was booting to windows until i put the keyboard back, it started freezing during boot. then i gave up because i was a couple hours in.

Last edited:
I was able to re install windows tonight. Everything went good. Started updating and everything then it started restarting on its own. Second time it froze while booting.

I was able to re install windows tonight. Everything went good. Started updating and everything then it started restarting on its own. Second time it froze while booting.
I didn't read back (it's been a busy week).. have you replaced the boot drive yet?

I didn't read back (it's been a busy week).. have you replaced the boot drive yet?
I have not. I tried another ssd I have but I forget if there's any important stuff on it and it wouldn't boot from it. I might try and format and install windows on it later.

Put the other ssd in and it booted but then crashed. Now it will keep restarting go into recovery mode and eventually go back to that blue screen. Hasn't froze yet so maybe the ssd needs to be reformatted.

Here's the plan. I'm going to take the ssd to work and use my new HDD dock and check it for important stuff. Then I'll reformat and install windows. 20220329_191017.jpg

Last edited:
it may be worth testing your ram with memtest to make sure one stick isn't having issues. It's a free utility you can download to any usb stick.

it may be worth testing your ram with memtest to make sure one stick isn't having issues. It's a free utility you can download to any usb stick.

I've tried booting with one of each stick installed with the same results. I don't think it's a memory issue.

It seemed to do better ( not freeze ) just kept booting to the bsod eventually. Didn't do any of this last time I tried the other boot drive. The other drive is from my old computer that had ryzen master installed.

forgot about this. should have tried this.

This was in stock last night and the first 3060 ive seen for decent price. probably should have grabbed one.

I don't want to be premature but the new ssd hasn't acted up after installing windows yet.

edit: its been over an hour now, no issues. safe to say it was the boot drive. not a big deal as the new one is double the size of the old one. probably still gonna build a desktop in the near future.

Last edited:
Back