Official Computer Talk Thread

I give up on this laptop. It worked great last night. This morning I continued to update Windows and restarted and now it will boot to Windows login screen then restart everytime.

Is it possible for the batter to cause this issue? Just removed it and it hasn't restarted yet.

Last edited:
I give up on this laptop. It worked great last night. This morning I continued to update Windows and restarted and now it will boot to Windows login screen then restart everytime.

Is it possible for the batter to cause this issue? Just removed it and it hasn't restarted yet.
Can you get it to boot into safe mode without it restarting on you?

Can you get it to boot into safe mode without it restarting on you?
I tried to figure out how to boot into safe mode but couldn't figure it out. I'm 99% sure the battery was causing the issue because it worked find after removing it. Was able to update Windows fully and never restarted.

It just seems weird it’ll let you install windows fresh, but then windows updates are killing it (if it’s the battery). Usually pressing f8 repeatedly as soon as you press the power button will give you the safe mode prompt screen. It would be interesting to see if it freezes or restarts if you’d hook the battery back up now that you have the windows updates all installed.

It just seems weird it’ll let you install windows fresh, but then windows updates are killing it (if it’s the battery). Usually pressing f8 repeatedly as soon as you press the power button will give you the safe mode prompt screen. It would be interesting to see if it freezes or restarts if you’d hook the battery back up now that you have the windows updates all installed.
The whole thing has been a weird troubleshoot. I tried f8. I tried all the fs but non gave me safe mode.

I'm installing all the screws today for the last time and I'll try the battery. I'd buy a new one but I'm not sure if it's a battery issue or connection in the laptop. The battery wasnt any good either way and I can get one for $30 off Amazon, but if I'm going to build a PC in the next couple weeks there's no point in buying a battery.

Laptop is officially fixed. Ordered a 5600x for $300cbd on sale. Decided to order parts slowly as I find deals.

Laptop is officially fixed. Ordered a 5600x for $300cbd on sale. Decided to order parts slowly as I find deals.

Too bad you weren't local. I would have sold you my 5800x for that price.

Edit: Never mind you talking Canadian pricing lol

Last edited:
Too bad you weren't local. I would have sold you my 5800x for that price.

Edit: Never mind you talking Canadian pricing lol
Lol. Yeah. I had to jump on this price , it was actually 290 , 327 with tax. It was $10 cheaper than any other place in Canada. Just gonna keep buying each part as I see them on sale to save a little money.

I'm gonna burn this laptop. Figured out why it's so slow. Cpu stuck at .79ghz. Won't boost to 2.5ghz. Tried throttle stop, was able to change the multiplier and had it running good. Then I restarted and now it won't change anything. I think it has to do with the battery not being installed.

This is pretty much what I've got in my cart. Any advise on it? I have another cart with a Corsair 175r instead of 4000d and a Corsair rmx650x PSU instead of the Seagate 750 just due to what's available on the different site.

Both carts are at $1500 CND. Keep in mind I already ordered a 5600x. And I'll be buying a used monitor because there are lots around me. This will be for 1080p gaming and possible 4k video editing.

Placed an order today. Switched up a couple things.

Picked up a used lg 24gl600f

Last edited:
This is pretty much what I've got in my cart. Any advise on it? I have another cart with a Corsair 175r instead of 4000d and a Corsair rmx650x PSU instead of the Seagate 750 just due to what's available on the different site.

Both carts are at $1500 CND. Keep in mind I already ordered a 5600x. And I'll be buying a used monitor because there are lots around me. This will be for 1080p gaming and possible 4k video editing.

Placed an order today. Switched up a couple things.

Picked up a used lg 24gl600f
Nice rig... and even nicer card. I built a few custom PC's 'bout 12 yrs ago... still running perfect with Intel boards and Seasonic power, but always bought last year's bargain video card. Wish I knew how to build a decent laptop. Off the shelf "bargains" are throwaways... to which my son responds: "Poor man pays twice".

Except for power consumption, hard to spot the differences between the 5600/5800. But yeah, i'd be interested in building a gaming rig this year. Will be in the east late this month.

Except for power consumption, hard to spot the differences between the 5600/5800. But yeah, i'd be interested in building a gaming rig this year. Will be in the east late this month.
5800x is a bit of a black sheep, the TPD of a bigger processor, cache of the smaller processor, runs hotter than anything else.

I have the 5800x in my computer and the lady of the house has a 5600x in hers.

Downgraded.... why would you do that?

5800x is a bit of a black sheep, the TPD of a bigger processor, cache of the smaller processor, runs hotter than anything else.
^ 100% what Foo said.

I've had the 5600X installed for a few days now and don't notice any performance loss while having lower temperatures. This will be nice as the weather warms up it will keep the office cooler. We have central AC but the office got warm when gaming with the 5800X.

Granted I only use my PC for basic things (forums, email, social media) and some gaming (nothing crazy - Call of Duty and Forza as of late - no Webby I haven't played Rocket League in a while).

Back