Official Computer Talk Thread

I haven't heard of that card yet. I will have to look it up.

I have not personally done sli but from what I've read your best option is to have two exactly identical cards and even then it doesn't double your capability it just splits the processing kind of like a dual core to make things operate smoother. Sometimes it works out cheaper and better to just run one high end card vs 2 mid grade cards.

At least that's my understanding.

I haven't heard of that card yet. I will have to look it up.

I have not personally done sli but from what I've read your best option is to have two exactly identical cards and even then it doesn't double your capability it just splits the processing kind of like a dual core to make things operate smoother. Sometimes it works out cheaper and better to just run one high end card vs 2 mid grade cards.

At least that's my understanding.

That's what a lot of people on pc forums are saying.

What do you guys think about the new graphics card from team green? I think it's titan or titan x. Also what are your thoughts on SLI? I have 980 and was thinking about getting another one.

Not sure if it's worth going SLI:think:

What's wrong with your 980?

Titan X isn't their new card. It's been out since March 17, 2015. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_900_series)

My buddy has a Titan but it's overkill for most. Are you going to be gaming on 4k?

GTX 980Ti is their newest card that has been out but that's since June 2, 2015.

Nvidia’s flagship Pascal GP100 GPU has been talked about going out April 2016 but I've heard possibly June 2016.

Also they are going to be pricey -> "TechFrag added that the upcoming Pascal GPUs are rumored to have a price range between US$600 to US$1,100."

@Michal006

Thought you guys would appreciate this
00a050dfb61340393747c96e828cf5cd.jpg

83bc3d31e185af5c02218b59d86134a1.jpg

What's wrong with your 980?

Titan X isn't their new card. It's been out since March 17, 2015. (Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_900_series)

My buddy has a Titan but it's overkill for most. Are you going to be gaming on 4k?

GTX 980Ti is their newest card that has been out but that's since June 2, 2015.

Nvidia’s flagship Pascal GP100 GPU has been talked about going out April 2016 but I've heard possibly June 2016.

Also they are going to be pricey -> "TechFrag added that the upcoming Pascal GPUs are rumored to have a price range between US$600 to US$1,100."

@Michal006

Nothing wrong with my card yet, but I noticed in the past few months that some games can't run on Ultra settings and 60 fps. Some stuff had to be turned down to high or even ultra... Also I don't know if you noticed but high end cards from AMD are slowly getting as expensive as Nvidia products :screwy:

Nothing wrong with my card yet, but I noticed in the past few months that some games can't run on Ultra settings and 60 fps. Some stuff had to be turned down to high or even ultra... Also I don't know if you noticed but high end cards from AMD are slowly getting as expensive as Nvidia products :screwy:
I have noticed this as the card I'm eyeing up is almost 400 and it's technically a high middle grade card. Top tier is pushing 900 bucks from AMD now.

@Michal006 @bootyluvr I went ahead and pulled the trigger on an 8GB Radeon R9 390 card last night. Got it home and found out that I will have to rearrange everything in my case since it fits with all of 2mm to spare. That will be my project for tomorrow. Ill get some pictures of the finished setup.

Is that the high end card from AMD? How much was it?

Let us know about the temps when gaming and if it the fan makes a lot of noise.

Is that the high end card from AMD? How much was it?

Let us know about the temps when gaming and if it the fan makes a lot of noise.
It was 329.99 Its the highest card without going to the Fury liquid cooled series which jumps up an additional 200 bucks. Once I get it up and running I'll see if I can get some temps.

both have their pros and cons

Buddy (Subaru) has an AMD card and updated a driver last week or week before last and had serious issues in some of his games. It was posted all over and he rolled back the driver and was fine.

Haven't had a single issue with any of the AMD cards I've had in the past 10 years. The NVidia cards that were in store I looked at were more expensive and were larger than the card I just got and wouldn't have fit in my case.

That's good.

I have the GTX 970 FTW. Same price as the R9 390 but 1/2 the RAM lol

My AMD card started acting up only 6 months after the purchase. 980 is slowly approaching 2nd year mark and it still runs smoothly

I will say that AMD Drivers can be a bit buggy upon initial release. I usually wait a couple weeks when a new update comes out before I update my drivers just in case.

I had an R9 280X that developed coil whine within the first 30 days. Went back to MicroCenter and swapped it out of another.. Same issue.

Took it back and they asked if I wanted to swap it out for another model R9 card or possibly a nVidia. At the time the 4GB GTX 970 FTW and the 4GB R9 280X (forget what brand) were the same price (think the GTX 970 FTW was a tad cheaper after mail-in-rebate). So I went with the EVGA GTX 970 FTW.

She's been a good card :thumbsup:

I'm sure the 8GB of RAM (vs 4GB) is a benefit to some.

I had an R9 280X that developed coil whine within the first 30 days. Went back to MicroCenter and swapped it out of another.. Same issue.

Took it back and they asked if I wanted to swap it out for another model R9 card or possibly a nVidia. At the time the 4GB GTX 970 FTW and the 4GB R9 280X (forget what brand) were the same price (think the GTX 970 FTW was a tad cheaper after mail-in-rebate). So I went with the EVGA GTX 970 FTW.

She's been a good card :thumbsup:

I'm sure the 8GB of RAM (vs 4GB) is a benefit to some.

Sure is for most guys that play recent games. ;) What requirements Rocket League has? Win 98 and 64MB or Ram?

giphy.gif

I'm thinking of building my own pc. My wife's probably going to start working from home so she can stay home with our daughter. We're architects + designers so we do a lot of graphics and high end processing. I'm thinking it's going to be an almost gaming rig. I've never built my own pc before. I've repaired/modified dozens or laptops and pcs over the years but never started from scratch. Any good advice for a noob?

Sure is for most guys that play recent games. ;) What requirements Rocket League has? Win 98 and 64MB or Ram?

giphy.gif
Recent games don't require 8GB of GPU RAM.
I'm thinking of building my own pc. My wife's probably going to start working from home so she can stay home with our daughter. We're architects + designers so we do a lot of graphics and high end processing. I'm thinking it's going to be an almost gaming rig. I've never built my own pc before. I've repaired/modified dozens or laptops and pcs over the years but never started from scratch. Any good advice for a noob?
It's not hard. Research! Research! Research!

What is your price range for the build?

Back