Official Computer Talk Thread

Old card vs new for size comparison.
fb6528fc1ffa2dacd0d8509d39be3ac1.jpg

After shot. Would look much better if I had a modular PSU.
b4cb139e21eaff1769b28c189c7d461d.jpg

Recent games don't require 8GB of GPU RAM.

It's not hard. Research! Research! Research!

What is your price range for the build?

That's what I'm doing now. My heads starting to swim a bit with all the research. I would like to stay around 1,000 max $1,500. I want something serious enough to handle multiple 3D drawings and renderings but I haven't been a real gamer in years.

pcpartpicker.com is good for comparing prices and you can only see recent builds that were done by people. It shows what parts they used and how much they paid.

You need a bigger case my friend. Both of us need to work on cable management. lol

No need to worry about space in mine ;)

1439589110165-jpg.51549

You need a bigger case my friend. Both of us need to work on cable management. lol

No need to worry about space in mine ;)

1439589110165-jpg.51549
I will get a bigger case eventually its not in the budget currently. New card generates some heat. I may have to evaluate my fan placement.

it's so long it looks like it'd be essentially blocking all air from above/below that card the way the case is built.

There is an intake fan drawing air into the bottom of the case by the hard drives. There is also a fan on the side of the case pushing hot air out right by where the card sits. The CPU is watercooled and has its own fan/radiator setup.

What are the temps of that card at idle?

Mine is usually 30 celsius when browsing internet and around 70 when gaming. I always crank the fan speed to 100%.

I gotta bookmark this. I'm about to starting tinkering with my PC whenever we get it moved over from being the media center for the Living Room to having me use a proper desk.

Mine is usually 30 celsius when browsing internet and around 70 when gaming. I always crank the fan speed to 100%.
23-26C -> idle
60-65C -> gaming (of course rocket league it doesn't go above 35-40C[emoji14])

What program are you using to get the GPU temp. I have one for the CPU but thats it. CPU runs about17-23 C at idle. 38 C under full load.

What program are you using to get the GPU temp. I have one for the CPU but thats it. CPU runs about17-23 C at idle. 38 C under full load.

It's MSI afterburner. You can also watch temps when gaming

That's what I'm doing now. My heads starting to swim a bit with all the research. I would like to stay around 1,000 max $1,500. I want something serious enough to handle multiple 3D drawings and renderings but I haven't been a real gamer in years.
That's how i felt when i started looking for my gaming rig. But after a few weeks i figured it out.

pcpartpicker.com is good for comparing prices and you can only see recent builds that were done by people. It shows what parts they used and how much they paid.

Thanks for this link. Very informative and a great resource. Ive got something together now and Im getting close to pulling the trigger. What do you guys think of this?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/nHDFwP

I'm still debating between the i7-6700k and the i7-5820k. This is a workstation build that requires more CPU power than anything else. The GTX 970 + 16GB of RAM should be overkill for my needs. Do you guys have any experience or recommendations?

Also, really stupid question.... What other things do i need to buy to get this together? Would i be missing a cable or should i get extra case fans? I know there are SATA cables with the MOBO and power cables with the PSU... am i missing something really basic?

Back