Official Computer Talk Thread

Well this was painful to build. So looks like I'm going to be purchasing some more parts in the near future. Sfx psu with adapter,1tb m.2, 2-3tb ssd.

So parts for this build are as follow

Msi b450i
Ryzen 3600
1080ti sc2 black
Sg13 case
Corsair 550w atx psu
Deepcool 120 aio
16gb corsair vengeance lpx 3200mhz
4tb hdd

And it's tight. Can't wait to see the thermals on this. 20210414_171957.jpg20210414_194054.jpg20210414_212906.jpg

i want to buy this psu because it comes with the atx - sfx bracket. otherwise i have to spend $30 for a small piece of metal with any other brand. im a little worried that its too low of wattage but the 550 hasnt been an issue yet.

edit just found a coolermaster that comes with a bracket as well.

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07WVWNZQ3/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3DWYIK6Y9EEQB&psc=1

Amazon product
View: https://www.amazon.ca/Cooler-Master-Efficiency-Semi-fanless-Operation/dp/B08LP7B7FM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=750w+sfx&qid=1618507751&s=electronics&sr=1-2

so i managed to find a 600w corsair platinum open box from amazon for $150.

edit #3 canceled the corsair order, didnt like that it was used. ordered an evga 650w instead.

Last edited:
After some issues I got the new itx build running. First issue the ram wasn't seated proper. This board uses only one lock per stick so it looked and felt like it was all the way down but wasn't. Luckily the board has diagnostic led which lit up for dram.

Once I got it up and running I kept getting an error when trying to download forza from the Microsoft store because it was installed on a different hdd. Ended up having to re install windows to get that working so I'm in the process of updating windows.

Now I'm having cpu temp issues. Thing idles at about 50c but goes up and down a lot to 70c at idle. Rad fan follows cpu temp which is pretty annoying. Not sure if this is a fan curve issue or pump mount issue. I used the supplied paste from the cooler for some reason so I'll replace that with the corsair stuff I have and see if that helps but it should idle around 30-40c easily I would hope.

Gpu temp was fine at idle with the case closed but haven't tried running any load yet. Think it was in the 30s at idle.

Feel like I'm talking to myself in here but I'll keep doing it anyways.

This morning I let my son play forza for about 15 minutes while I was pooping. Came out and checked cpu temp and it was about 97c. Front of the case was very hot. Had the fan in front of the rad pulling out the case. So I shut the computer down. Lol.

Found a YouTube channel with tones of sg13 testing for thermals and it seems like setting the fan to blow through the rad into the case drops temps a lot so I did that and applied corsair thermal paste and re installed the pump because I feel like the supplied deep cool stuff was another issue.

Ran forza for about 5 minutes and only saw cpu temp go to 75c. Gpu stays at 70c. So that's a win. Another thing I can try is a noctua 12x25 fan to replace the deepcool. This was proven to lower temps another few degrees and lower noise. Only issue with that is it's $40cnd. So that might have to wait. I'm going to see how temps are effected with the sfx psu when I get it as well.

I've had Furmark and cinebench running for a good 20 min and cpu has reached 90c max stays around 88c. Gpu is 73c. Goes to 74c max so far. These are quite high numbers for the cpu but Will likely never see that happen playing a game.

Another thing I may attempt is a side exhaust fan. Case isn't ment for one but can be rigged up. I'd find a better solution than zipties though.
253081.7e2db846c984f312b6ef177066f37158.1600.jpg

Amd lists it as 95c max temp. A quick look around online and I see quite a few posts where people hit that doing stress tests.

6EF4CB7E-ED98-4D8B-BA32-D86D77B0F9B0.jpeg

If tons of people are hitting those temps during stress testing, it doesn’t seem like it’s an issue with the case at all.

Reason #1 to NOT have a small tiny case lol

Sorry I had to.
It's really not bad at all. Temps are pretty much comparable to my old case. After trying to sell my old parts for 5 hours and getting idiots responding I think I may use my old motherboard and build a plex server. It's probably useless with so many streaming services anymore.

I believe @ethlar and @squiggy use plex?
yup, it starts off using leftover hardware and then next thing you know youve built a dedicated machine and are trying to convince friends to build them so you can mirror your library to their machine for redundancy

If tons of people are hitting those temps during stress testing, it doesn’t seem like it’s an issue with the case at all.
Oh so you mean tons of people with different cases are hitting those temps during stress testing. Gotcha.

Back