DIY Painted my engine cover

Me too....dirty engine bay. :confused: Would like to find some tips and suggestions how to do this properly and easily.
(-----------has never cleaned an engine bay.

I've always used the Simple Green degreaser. They sell it at Cdn Tire. Just spray it in the engine compt and rinse off with a garden hose on a low setting. I try to stay away from anything electrical. You might have to use a rag for the really grimy spots.

I'm sure there are other products but I've always used Simple Green with good results. It won't eat the asphalt on your driveway either.

I've always used the Simple Green degreaser. They sell it at Cdn Tire. Just spray it in the engine compt and rinse off with a garden hose on a low setting. I try to stay away from anything electrical. You might have to use a rag for the really grimy spots.

I'm sure there are other products but I've always used Simple Green with good results. It won't eat the asphalt on your driveway either.

I bet RaskyR1 can offer some other good tips.

Can we see what it looks like when u pop the hood??

Here's a quick iPhone pic of mine...engine bay is filthy and needs to be cleaned again but you get the idea!
E7048774-45EE-4F62-AD42-EC99B34B296C-2014-000000A8DDBC2313_zpsa3ce1856.jpg

I never used simple green, but have heard it's good......... I use "Bike-Bright" which is made for exposed components ...... low flow rinse ...... then go over it with a leaf blower to dry.........

I picked up a bottle of Auto Glym engine cleaner, and I have to say it does a pretty amazing job. Its a spray on cleaner and very easy to apply and remove. When I am using it I always make sure that my engine and components are cool to the touch, as i do not want to bake on the spray or cause any pitting or other damage to any plastics or components. I make sure to use heavy plastic to cover over my air filter (SRI) and battery terminals as well as my alternator. After spraying it on I let it soak for a few minutes to eat up some of the grime and dirt. For heavily soiled spots i use a soft brush (That I only use for my engine) afterward I simply spray it off and everything seems to come out looking better than the day I picked mine up!
engine bay.jpg

I used
1 can of white primer
1 can of 500 degree paint
And 1 can of clear coat

I did 6 coats of each .....i wanna make sure it never comes off lol

Thank you btw

Last edited:
I finally cleaned up the engine bay enough to put the painted engine cover on. I still need to keep cleaning, but its a start. The winter sure makes a mess of an engine. I was out in the sun, so the cover looks brighter than it actually is.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366568513.579535.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1366568513.579535.jpg
    981.5 KB · Views: 47
How 'bout who ever paints their valve cover next, get a picture of the underside of the cover and the area that the cover was hiding.
Wondering about the seal.........

I am going to Plasti-Dip mine red later today/tomorrow.. Not quite sold on doing it with full on spray paint. I feel that it kinda stands out a bit much, but I want to see for myself. Plus I want to give this whole Plasti-Dip craze a look.

I am going to Plasti-Dip mine red later today/tomorrow.. Not quite sold on doing it with full on spray paint. I feel that it kinda stands out a bit much, but I want to see for myself. Plus I want to give this whole Plasti-Dip craze a look.

.....or buy another one and change it when you get bored of it. I think it was right around $20 from the dealer. I ended up buying another one to take off in the winter. It just gets too dirty under there with the salt from the roads.

we need someone to do a r18 cover
Looking at how well this turned out I had the desire to do this, but it passed quickly when I started to think about who would see it. Me, when I check my oil or put washer fluid and mechanics. Not worth the time and energy for me. Maybe if I didn't have kids and had lots of spare time. Don't get me wrong, looks awesome.

Here is mine. I did Plasti-Dip because I am not sure if I like this idea or not. I also did a masking tape rendition of a Japanese Rising Sun. Painting it all red is just too overpowering to me. I think mine still being mostly black blends well, and the red gives just enough pop to set it off. I may end up just going back to stock.

Back