Slow but SERIOUS build thread

NO. Stick with the thinner oil. The numbers signify viscosity: First number is at cold start, second number is at temp. Most oil is too thick at start up to properly lubricate the engine, stick with the thinnest oil possible for the best protection. You will gain nothing but engine wear by going to the thicker 5w.

0W-30 grade oil is not thinner than a 10W-30 oil. They both have the same thickness at operating temperature. The 0W-30 simply does not get as thick on cooling as the 10W-30. Both are still way too thick to lubricate an engine at startup.

Last edited:
NO. Stick with the thinner oil. The numbers signify viscosity: First number is at cold start, second number is at temp. Most oil is too thick at start up to properly lubricate the engine, stick with the thinnest oil possible for the best protection. You will gain nothing but engine wear by going to the thicker 5w.

I love you dude. 0w20 is pricey lmao, what brand oil do you use?

Valvoline MaxLife or NextGen Semi-synthetic. I have an LX so I don't really have a performance engine like your Si. I run the best grade of the suggested oil for my car.

That said my old Accord ran over 200,000 miles before I sold it by running conventional oil with changes every 3k.

If I had an Si I would only run Castrol Edge Full Synthetic. I know a lot of people love Mobil 1.

Valvoline MaxLife or NextGen Semi-synthetic. I have an LX so I don't really have a performance engine like your Si. I run the best grade of the suggested oil for my car.

That said my old Accord ran over 200,000 miles before I sold it by running conventional oil with changes every 3k.

If I had an Si I would only run Castrol Edge Full Synthetic. I know a lot of people love Mobil 1.

I'm stuck between Royal Purple, Mobil 1, and Castrol Edge.

I'd say Castrol EDGE. Full Synthetic 0w-20. Either the black bottle EDGE w/Syntec or the gold bottle EDGE w/Ti. They are just about the same. The oil discussion is never ever finished either! If you find Mobil 1 0w-20 full synthetic on sale, get it! I think it's a little overrated and not as good as it used to be. The additive package is becoming one of the most important parts of oil.

If you watch your local autozone/advanced auto stores they usually tend to rotate oil deals. Like, 5.25quart jugs of various 0-20 oils (from Mobil, valvoline, penzoil etc) and a Mobil oil filter for like 25-28 dollars. They're essentially throwing in a $10 oil filter for "free".

Reactions: Nix
Mobil 1 filter is actually like $13. It's insane that they make it free.

I think my local shop has them for 10.50 or 10.99 - for civics. Some other sizes are higher priced. Probably varies some by region.

My oil level hit 15% at about 4500 miles because I drove it hard and I bought it right before winter. I think 5000 is perfectly normal. And I just learned a lot about oil from this thread so thanks guys lol

yquraneh.jpg

Minor update. Still waiting on my weathertech visors to come in, if my next check comes out to what I expect will be ordering front and rear HFP spoilers next Friday :), side spoilers the check after.

pennzoil carrys 0-20 also and its really good, I used that in my honda when i had it and car ran real smooth.

Back