sway bars

yep thats in there :) sweet i cant wait to install this :D

Guaranteed it will fit...... I received mine this morning via FedEx, boxed correctly, and undamaged............ Installed it, with no problems........... Went out to my local 4-leaf clover for a test drive, what a difference, turns like it's on rails.......... then took it on some of my fav' back roads, handles great.........

Wait to you see the stock sway bar when you take it off, it's about the thickness of two pencils(or less).......... where the new one is about the size of a good Cuban cigar............

Nice man! Good to hear you like it! Excellent comparison between the two also! hahahahaha.

Also like to give a shout-out to RedShift for their easy and quick service of my sway bar order......

yeah dude chris is the freeking man! insanely fast shipping.

Over steer vs under steer .......... It is said that by adding a thicker rear sway bar will work towards keeping our cars from under steering .... and to add a more thicker sway bar to the front end will make it under steer again.

So what is under steer and over steer ....... When pushing the limits of traction around a turn you turn the front wheels in the direction you want the car to go, but instead of the front wheels sticking to the ground they start sliding toward the out side of the turn from loose of traction..... It can happen with front or rear drive cars, but since we have frt wheel drive that doesn't leave us with much to do to save it.

Where as with over steer.... that means when going around a turn pushing it beyond traction it will make the rear wheels lose traction..... and having a front wheel drive car will allow us the ability to have more control during the rear slide by applying counter steer and more power to the drive wheels.

Under steer is also referred to as "Pushing"(as in pushing the front of the car in a straight line while trying to turn it).

I know that there are a lot of you peeps that know all this stuff, but for the sake of the ppl that don't, this is for you.

Just a little help for our friends.

Tires, rear sway bar (i got 24mm), alignment to get some more front camber and dial out any rear toe. Made me pretty happy with mine!

Over steer vs under steer .......... It is said that by adding a thicker rear sway bar will work towards keeping our cars from under steering .... and to add a more thicker sway bar to the front end will make it under steer again.

So what is under steer and over steer ....... When pushing the limits of traction around a turn you turn the front wheels in the direction you want the car to go, but instead of the front wheels sticking to the ground they start sliding toward the out side of the turn from loose of traction..... It can happen with front or rear drive cars, but since we have frt wheel drive that doesn't leave us with much to do to save it.

Where as with over steer.... that means when going around a turn pushing it beyond traction it will make the rear wheels lose traction..... and having a front wheel drive car will allow us the ability to have more control during the rear slide by applying counter steer and more power to the drive wheels.

Under steer is also referred to as "Pushing"(as in pushing the front of the car in a straight line while trying to turn it).

I know that there are a lot of you peeps that know all this stuff, but for the sake of the ppl that don't, this is for you.

Just a little help for our friends.

Sorry to revive an old thread...but rather than start a new one, i thought i'd as for your guys opinion.

First off, Thank you @Monk . this was a very helpful post....I just got my 22mm Progress RSB done...and lowered my car another 1/2 inch.

My question is...more of seeing what your guys opinion is I guess, I'm not planning on ever autocross/tracking, my car is my DD, so to save myself having to do another alignment, I'm just debating is it worth installing the FSB?...I understand the over/understeer, but from what I gather some people still recommend upgrading the FSB, because it will make the car feel more "balanced"...don't really know what that mean to be honest. Want to see what you guys have to say?

Since I lowered it, I already need an alignment...but if I decide to upgrade the FSB, you have to drop the subframe I understand and get another alignment...just want to have to get another alignment done in a couple months if I change my mind to get the FSB.

Thanks for all your guys help and info! :D

Adding a bigger front sway bar will just throw it back to the way it was before you added the rear. These cars are already really stiff up front and do not benefit from replacing the front sway bar.

@dimsum .... "Some people still recommend upgrading the FSB, because it will make the car feel more "balanced"...don't really know what that mean to be honest. Want to see what you guys have to say?"

It varies on different cars, and our Civics don't need it...... That's if you would rather have your rear slide instead of the front..... So by adding a stiffer rear it will be "Balanced" ........... That's not to say you can't put an "even thicker" r-bar, and then add a little more to the front. But being a DD it would be like taking steroids when you can already lift 300#.

Plus you'd not only be guessing how much for each end, it will be difficult to find the right parts.

These equations have come from the Civic racing community that went though the trial & error for you.

Adding a bigger front sway bar will just throw it back to the way it was before you added the rear. These cars are already really stiff up front and do not benefit from replacing the front sway bar.

@dimsum .... "Some people still recommend upgrading the FSB, because it will make the car feel more "balanced"...don't really know what that mean to be honest. Want to see what you guys have to say?"

It varies on different cars, and our Civics don't need it...... That's if you would rather have your rear slide instead of the front..... So by adding a stiffer rear it will be "Balanced" ........... That's not to say you can't put an "even thicker" r-bar, and then add a little more to the front. But being a DD it would be like taking steroids when you can already lift 300#.

Plus you'd not only be guessing how much for each end, it will be difficult to find the right parts.

These equations have come from the Civic racing community that went though the trial & error for you.

ohhh okay, so I guess from what I gather is that...the 9th gen's are already stiff up front, set up to understeer from factory...but by adding just the REAR sway bar, we are actually then, balancing the handling of the car more and not necessarily saying it is "oversteer".

One of my main concerns really was that i was reading on a couple forums, was if we upgraded the rear sway bar only...was to watch out, because at higher speeds our cars are more dangerous with a bigger rear sway bar?... I dont know really understand the reasoning behind it?...

Did I mention you guys are awesome and super helpful?..haha :)

Thanks!

I guess also, knowing that the 2012 Si came with a 18mm front, and I believe Honda upgraded the 2013+ Si's with a 21mm.... again...rather than getting the eibach 24 mm front, would it be more cost effective & more beneficial to just upgrading my FSB to the 2013 FSB?..... :confused:

Yes they upgraded the front sway. This can be combated by upgrading to the 24mm RSB from Progress for '13 and up. '12 and owners tend to put the 22mm on the rear.

The concern with a bigger sway is for inexperienced drivers as it can cause the rear to kick out sooner than expected resulting in loss of control.

I guess also, knowing that the 2012 Si came with a 18mm front, and I believe Honda upgraded the 2013+ Si's with a 21mm.... again...rather than getting the eibach 24 mm front, would it be more cost effective & more beneficial to just upgrading my FSB to the 2013 FSB?..... :confused:
You're good the way you are...... Some with 2012 Si's have even gone to 24mm rsb's...

But just because the newer Si's have come out with big bars, hasn't changed the fact that Honda is still setting the over all balance, so it will still under steer without our going to a thicker in the rear.

So the 2012 option is 22mm rear, or 24mm rear, and in both cases no need to go thicker in front. Some mx racers have even removed the front bar all together.

You said you have the rear bar installed? How does it feel going though the turns? Remember the bar only works on the tilt of the body while in a turn, or movements from side to side, it doesn't change the up and down rate of motion of the shocks & springs.

If I had an Si, I would have gone with a 24mm rear due to the Si's front bar, but having a EX I only went with a 22mm.

Yes they upgraded the front sway. This can be combated by upgrading to the 24mm RSB from Progress for '13 and up. '12 and owners tend to put the 22mm on the rear.

The concern with a bigger sway is for inexperienced drivers as it can cause the rear to kick out sooner than expected resulting in loss of control.

ohhh..okay,well I guess my rear shouldn't kick out....I drive pretty conservative :)

Thanks!

Back