Unlucky parking spot

I have to bring the car over there and working nights I have zero free time to stop by there. I may try to go this weekend.

I wouldn't trust a shop who quoted a job like that without seeing it first. ;)

Stopped by 2 places today. One is a very reputable place and they quoted $900 + tax the other quoted $969 + tax

But you're not paying for it are you? The paint company should be paying. That sounds like a reasonable price for a full detail with paint correction since they are going to have to probably use a polisher to buff off all that overspray. On the bright side, your car will look fantastic when they are done. A good detailer will make it look better than when it was new.

I bet they have to use more than one step to get it perfect. So they will be buffing your entire car twice. That's a lot of hours of work. I would definitely not cheap out on it as a poor or rush job from a shop will get the paint flecks off but leave your paint looking like a swirled hologrammed mess. A lot of cheap "deatail" places will just take a rotary buffer with a wool pad and an aggressive compound to it. Probably let the new guy have a whack at it too while they're at it. They may have to go aggressive on the first step to get the overspray off but then should go back with a second finishing step to get the paint looking perfect.

These are rotary buffer "holograms"

Horrendous004.jpg

50/50 proper correction on the left side of the hood. You can see the difference.
Horrendous007.jpg

Here's more. Im sure you will see them on peoples cars out driving around once you know what to look for. its a sign of a rush job detail where they think just slamming a rotary against the paint makes it "shiny"
Pug%20101%20BT-800x600.jpg

No. I'm not paying for it. One of the other guys got their car done for $250 but I'm not going to any Joe blow who works at a car detailer. I want someone who cares about their work and takes pride in how each car looks when finished.

Reactions: Nix
If you're able to go to the guy rasky suggested I bet you'll get a fantastic outcome. The other guys prices sound like they probably pretty legit as well. $250 is the rotary hack job. lol

If you're able to go to the guy rasky suggested I bet you'll get a fantastic outcome. The other guys prices sound like they probably pretty legit as well. $250 is the rotary hack job. lol
I'm going to try to get down there Wednesday morning.

So one of the other guys went to get a quote today at a different place and they quoted him $500 plus tax. I'm just worried they may try to force me to go to a cheaper place where quality might be compromised

So one of the other guys went to get a quote today at a different place and they quoted him $500 plus tax. I'm just worried they may try to force me to go to a cheaper place where quality might be compromised

You can tell them it's cheaper to have it done right the first time then to pay a hack to do it, and then have to pay a pro to fix the work/damage they did (see pic of holograms above in thread)! Or worse yet, having to pay a body shop to repaint the areas the hack damaged trying to fix the over spray, and then still having to pay a reputable detailer to do what the body shops can't, polish correctly.

Maybe have the shops explain their over spray removal process along with the estimates, which should help you decide as well as giving justification for not having a certain shop do the work.

Some inexperienced shops will be quick to grab strong solvents, which may remove the over spray and "appear" safe on the paint, but some of those strong solvents can actually compromise the paint itself and lead to failures later down the road...something I actually learned just a few years ago. :/

Wow! That really sucks. I'm definitely in to find out the outcome of this. I hope all goes well!

@RaskyR1 unfortunately I don't have the time nor a ride to get to Kenner. I have to go with a local detailer.

It's not your fault that they screwed up. They should pay what it takes to fix it, even if it's a place you chose. :\

They should not pick who fixes it. They have a vested interest in keeping it cheap. They should also be insured for stuff like this. Threaten to take it directly to their insurance company.

Back