Vacation Thread

It was two weeks. Been back since Friday.

2 week vacation. Dang. That's unheard of here in the States. When I've vacationed in the Caribbean and met people from the UK they said it's common for long "holidays" (vacations). Most of them take 10-14 days.

It's common in Canada too right?

2 week vacation. Dang. That's unheard of here in the States. When I've vacationed in the Caribbean and met people from the UK they said it's common for long "holidays" (vacations). Most of them take 10-14 days.

It's common in Canada too right?
by law we get 2 weeks out of the year to vacation. after 5 years you get 3. there are some employers that allow more. shop i worked at in edmonton gave something like a month or more after 10 years. old guy next to me spent a month in Hawaii once. i feel like i could get away with taking a month off at my work because they cant afford to lose me at this point, although i think moving to BC is coming, wife cant stand it any more.

by law we get 2 weeks out of the year to vacation. after 5 years you get 3. there are some employers that allow more. shop i worked at in edmonton gave something like a month or more after 10 years. old guy next to me spent a month in Hawaii once. i feel like i could get away with taking a month off at my work because they cant afford to lose me at this point, although i think moving to BC is coming, wife cant stand it any more.

I've been with my employer since 2006 (so 16 years) and so I get a lot of time.

I get 20 days of vacation (per year) and I can carry over 40 days to the next year. I just make sure I don't give them back any time. IE: Anything over 40 days at the end of 12/31 disappears lol

Currently I have 63.5 days in my vacation "bucket" and that doesn't include the 3 personal days I get and 2 other days (forget the name they use).
I also have 200+ days of sick time and 10 days of Comp time. I tend to bank sick time and never use it since that can go towards my retirement. For dentist appointments and doctors appointments I use comp, vacation or personal time.

My wife and I don't really use much of our vacation time... We usually do a week around our anniversary (May) and this year is Aruba. But other than that... I don't have any big trips/vacations planned.

Edit: Sorry for the long reply. Probably WAY too much info.

C/N - I have been with my employer for a LONG time and I get ALOT of time and don't take much time off. I just make sure I don't give back/lose any of my time by the end of the year.

@Honda-Fan @Dad - I have vacation time for a Dallas Party :party:
@webby - I have vacation time for a Meet Webby Party :party:
Sorry @Janz3n I'm not coming to Canada :giggle: - My wife and her mom want to do a trip up eastern part of Canada... I forget the area. I could care less (no offense) lol

I've been with my employer since 2006 (so 16 years) and so I get a lot of time.

I get 20 days of vacation (per year) and I can carry over 40 days to the next year. I just make sure I don't give them back any time. IE: Anything over 40 days at the end of 12/31 disappears lol

Currently I have 63.5 days in my vacation "bucket" and that doesn't include the 3 personal days I get and 2 other days (forget the name they use).
I also have 200+ days of sick time and 10 days of Comp time. I tend to bank sick time and never use it since that can go towards my retirement. For dentist appointments and doctors appointments I use comp, vacation or personal time.

My wife and I don't really use much of our vacation time... We usually do a week around our anniversary (May) and this year is Aruba. But other than that... I don't have any big trips/vacations planned.

Edit: Sorry for the long reply. Probably WAY too much info.

C/N - I have been with my employer for a LONG time and I get ALOT of time and don't take much time off. I just make sure I don't give back/lose any of my time by the end of the year.

@Honda-Fan @Dad - I have vacation time for a Dallas Party :party:
@webby - I have vacation time for a Meet Webby Party :party:
Sorry @Janz3n I'm not coming to Canada :giggle: - My wife and her mom want to do a trip up eastern part of Canada... I forget the area. I could care less (no offense) lol
can you use all the days consecutively?

eastern canada is nice. both ends of the country are nice. why dont you vacation????

can you use all the days consecutively?

eastern canada is nice. both ends of the country are nice. why dont you vacation????

I can't use all 20 days in a row if that's what you mean. We have to make sure we have coverage. They wouldn't let me take off 3 weeks in a row.

My wife and I are off weekends so we can do things then if need be. We don't have kids so that helps lol Don't have to use vacation time for them lol

My former boss was always bustin' my balls about not taking vacation days...

I can't use all 20 days in a row if that's what you mean. We have to make sure we have coverage. They wouldn't let me take off 3 weeks in a row.

My wife and I are off weekends so we can do things then if need be. We don't have kids so that helps lol Don't have to use vacation time for them lol

My former boss was always bustin' my balls about not taking vacation days...
but why not just take time off at least ? do you get paided for the vacations?

but why not just take time off at least ? do you get paided for the vacations?

Well.... My wife and I are not the type just to take time off to take time off. I don't want to take a Monday off to just sit at home...
Also I enjoy my job so my former boss said maybe if I didn't like what I did I'd take more time off or if I had kids I would take a random day off while they are at school to get stuff done/enjoy the quiet time..

Saturday and Sunday are my days off that I can just chill, run some errands and do whatever...

Yeah I'm weird... It's okay. @Nomar06 and @webby already know this :hiding:

Yes I get paid for the vacation time I take off. It's not a day off without pay.

As I get older the more I like vacation. When I was young and single I hated it.

I started dating my wife when I was 16.... :hiding:

Wife sent me this Bed & Breakfast about 2 hours (ish) from our house. Looks like we are going to plan an extended weekend trip but it doesn't use any of my vacation time lol

https://selectregistry.com/properties-map/swanendele-inn-at-st-marys-maryland/

RDSC06728-1800x747.jpg

Back