Anyone here a beer advocate?

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
All I said was that I wanted to get set up at the new house properly before I spend money on brewing beer. Jeez, who would of thought priorities should come first...

I was saying the same thing. Didn't even see that you posted that :rotfl:

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
Hahaha... you don't need much to brew depending on what you're making. Making sure everything is clean first is the trickiest. A really good thermometer is very very helpful as well to getting it to come out right. Especially for the yeast step. Not hot enough and it doesn't work good, too hot and you can kill it.

You basically need one big pot to boil the wort, then into a fermentation vessel, add yeast, wait, and then bottle it!

I did it once with a big lobster pot. It makes a frickin sticky mess though if you aren't careful.

Just boiled, added ingredients, transferred it into a glass carboy, added water until it was at the 5 gallon mark, wait till the temp drops, add yeast, put a "blow-off" tube on, wait a few days, cause it's gonna foam over a few times, clean it up like everyday, then once it settles add a water seal airlock and stick it in the closet to wait for your brew!

I ruined my carboy making wine though. It got some sort of residue stuck on the inside and I have not been able to get it off! I tried all sorts of cleaners, long wire brushes, these steel ball bearing "cleaning" beads that you roll around and they are supposed to wear stains off the inside. Nothin! Its like a pink paint stripe on the inside. I don't think it would affect anything but im not gonna take the risk of adding hot wort and reactivating some strange bacteria.

Sounds messy lol What kind of beer did you make?

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
We, college roomies, brewed a couple different porters. It was one of the easier formulas I found. We had a fridge that was semi-broken, it wouldn't get cold but it wouldn't get hot either so I wanted to try something that required a certain fermentation temp. I set the fridge to about 65 and it stayed there perfectly. Just right for a porter. If it had gotten a little colder and been able to hold 50 consistently I would have tried a lager.

It was pretty good in all honestly. Cost wise and time wise, it's cheaper and easier to just go buy it! We thought we were gonna save a ton of money doing it ourseves! hahaha. It's definitely a fun hobby though.

The wine experiment was just a bad idea. It definitely had a high alcohol content though.

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
I'd love to brew some Belgian tripels. No idea how complex or anything about the process though :giggle:

I got my dad a subscription to Beer Advocate magazine and he said there's a lot of different stuff about brewing. I'm gonna give them a read when he's done with them.

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
Had a Weihenstephaner Hefeweissbier tonight with dinner. Downright delicious. It reminded me a great bit of Belgian styled beer, which is probably why I like it so much. It's a German Hefeweizen which I'm not extremely familiar with.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/252/731

98 on beer advocate. One of the top 50 beers rated on that site. I don't disagree.

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
Couldn't resist, and bought this today

I've been wanting a trappist glass anyway. Plus wanted to try the Grande Reserve.

Chimay >

Reactions: Nix

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Gonna let em age a bit?

I find that a lot of stuff from Unibroue ages very well. Even 30 days on the Fin Du Monde makes a huge difference. I get impatient though. I was never able to leave a bottle of Chimay for very long.

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5
Believe me, I wish I could :giggle: These will be gone, possibly by tonight :rotfl:

I would like to buy a few of the bigger bottles and throw them on the shelf for several months. It's just so hard not to drink them..

Last edited:

Taffeta 12

Antelope Valley
Vehicle Model
Honda civic Si
Body Style
Sedan
Stopped by the good liquor store on the way home from work today... Nothing sounded good, and it has quite the selection. Ended up just grabbing a six pack of Dos Equis lager..simple but delicious. :)

HeelsandEers

Motown, WV
Vehicle Model
Civic Si
Body Style
FA5

The 22oz draft was a Boston lager. It wasn't fresh or something.. So my next draft was a shock top. Overall, a pretty underwhelming beer drinking evening.