Bikes!!!! (MTB, Road, etc... just no motors)

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
yowza... that sucks man.....Good to hear you're doin better and are up and about! If you're not having back, hip, or shoulder issues I think you could probably get away with whatever style of bike you like. Mountain, road, or any sort of cross in between. Go to several shops, sit on as many as possible, and get quick test rides if you can even if its just in the parking lot.

There is a category of bike out there that most places sell as a "hybrid" but is really more of a comfort bike. Big gel seat, upright handle bars, very upright riding position, low standover height for easy on-off, semi slick tires. Depending on your activity level and comfort level thats an easy place to start.

mountain bikes are going to be a little less "grandma" looking than the hybrid but the aggressive riding position may not be comfortable for you. Sit on them and get a feel for where the bars and seat are. How stretched out you feel, and weather or not the pedals are in a comfortable location for your knee and ankle when moving.

With the seat adjusted to the proper height - do your knees come up too high or have to reach too far to be safe and comfortable. Some bikes position the pedals directly under you, others they are a little bit out front. (MTB vs comfort series)

Start there, do some shopping. I think you would definitely benefit from cycling. It won't beat you up if you get a properly fitting bike. I highly recommend hitting the local bike shops in your area. They will be the most knowledgeable. Don't be put off by sticker shock, just get sized, fitted, test rides, and information. They know people aren't really buying at this time of year and are pretty slow so they will be happy to talk to someone. If they aren't then don't even bother with em'!

I can help you find something for your budget once you find what's going to work for you. Sometimes a great bike can be had at the big box stores, they just won't know a thing about it.

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
Fiesta ST (FiST)
Body Style
hatch
http://www.silvercometga.com/

Took me a while.. just keep spinning.. the more you spin the easier it is! :)

And yes, Ken. Still working on the 200+lb part. lol.

Currently looking for a bike trainer so I can pedal during the week. Just riding on the weekends now.

I'm on the same boat regarding the weight. Looking at going back to the gym but they are all overcrowded and the "crossfit" places are kinda pricey.

KennyGS

How may I help?
Keystone State
I used rollers in the garage whenever there was inclement weather. Difficult to get the hang of, but make you a much smoother road rider. They leave little margin for error, and punish instantly. :giggle:

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
I use the cycleops fluid2 for inclement weather/everydaybutsundaybecausetoomuchtraffic days.

Rollers scare me. I'd like to try but not willing to buy.

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Some pics from today..

Nix

Jötunn Moderator
Lew-vul, KY
Body Style
It's A Fast Pig!
Seriously. You and me both Ken. I've got icicles hanging from my rear bumper. No way im riding for a while.

Those trails look pretty fun. Nice area by the river.

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
Fiesta ST (FiST)
Body Style
hatch
Still too cold for me :hiding: but mainly I let a friend borrow the mtb bike. Prob need to ask for it back.

I decided against the bike trainer but got a gym membership. They have plenty of "bikes" there and have 4 spin classes a week. Only 1.5 miles from work.

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
Fiesta ST (FiST)
Body Style
hatch
Oh...what kind of shoes/cleats are you using on the MTB? I have some pedals that came on the road bike but haven't sprung for the shoes yet.

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Spd pedals on mtb
Spd-sl on road

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
Fiesta ST (FiST)
Body Style
hatch
So I went out for a ride yesterday since it was super nice. Had to put in a new tube on the front tire on the road bike. Went out and did 29 miles but the front tire went down on me. I was still 2-3 miles from the house so I called my friend to pick me up. When I got to the house I put some air in the tire while the tube/tire still on the rim and it is leaking out where the presta valve attaches to the tube. Need to test out just the tube to pinpoint it.

Do you think the tube might of had an issue on the ride or did I install it wrong? Last tube was leaking in the same area but the entire tube wasn't looking good either. The ride was through some pretty rough roads but that was around the 10-13 mile area. I noticed the tire loosing pressure around the last mile of the ride.

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Did you tape around the hole where the valve goes through?

Nomar06

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Charlotte, NC
Vehicle Model
Fiesta ST (FiST)
Body Style
hatch
The rims have some green tape around the whole rim.

EDIT: Might need to upgrade to a rubber type of rim tape. I don't think the one that is on there now is good enough.

Last edited:

jrotax101

Avada Kedavra
Super Mod
Hogwarts
Vehicle Model
BMW
Body Style
M3
Love going to FL. So many trails so close to where we stay (i.e in front of the house, 30 feet)

Rode 3 days in a row, with 02civicsi for two of them.

Matt's rig:

Day 1:

And left with a goodie..