Does your Si burn oil?

Does your Si burn oil?

• Yes

Votes: 44 54.3%
  • No

Votes: 37 45.7%

• Total voters
i was at the dealer today and i asked the service writer about the si burning oil and they told me that in 08 when they changed to oil change interval to 5000 miles is when they started useing oil now i am new to the whole civic thing this is my first so i am just now getting my feet wet in the whole honda world

Ive been to the dealer 3times about the update and they can't find it

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

i was at the dealer today and i asked the service writer about the si burning oil and they told me that in 08 when they changed to oil change interval to 5000 miles is when they started useing oil now i am new to the whole civic thing this is my first so i am just now getting my feet wet in the whole honda world

the 8th generation civic (year 2006+) ran off a maintenance meter for oil changes. If you went to the 15% level, you could end up driving 7k+ miles without a change... all depending on driving factors.

Ive been to the dealer 3times about the update and they can't find it

there is no real "update". If you're burning oil badly, they may ask to do oil consumption testing to see how bad it is. Then if it's exceeding the limits, they may replace internals.

I mean for the rev hang and sputtering. I had it rebuilt and it still doesn't feel right.

OK so I've got just over 2000km's on my '12 Civic Si coupe and when I checked my oil level after reading these posts I saw that it was down below the hole closest to the end of the dip stick. So off to the dealership I go first thing this morning to speak to my mechanic friend and have him look at it. He says it's down over 1 litre!!
This is the first time I looked at my oil level figuring on a brand new car it should be all good. It looks like I'm going ti have to monitor the level and see what's going on.
I really hope it was a one off because I don't really want my engine dismantled at such a young age. :(

Did they tell you to return after a certain set of miles to record your levels?

Mine went through a full quart right at 3000 miles. I called my dealer and they said that's probably because the engine's still being broken in and that it may decrease. I'm now at 6700 miles and 15% service life (so I'm due for my first oil change) and I've put in about 3/4 of a quart between 3000 and 6700. Been averaging 29-33 mpg in mostly mixed stop-and-go driving.

I called the dealer a number of times to discuss whether or not I needed an oil change earlier and they consistently told me to drive it until the service life dropped to 20%.

I flamed Honda in my JD Powers survey (6 out of 10 score, overall) mostly because 1 quart in 3000 miles seems excessive to me. (I've had 4 other brand new cars--from 3 different manufacturers--and none of them used ANY oil in the first 3000 miles.) This is my first Honda, though, and it looks like I may need to revise my expectations downward based on some of the other comments in this thread that are suggesting 1 quart per 1000 miles is the norm--or what Honda expects, anyway.

UPDATE:
So I just took my car in for it's first oil change today--service life at 15%, right at 7000 miles. It was down another 1/2 quart before I took it in, so that puts the oil usage at about 2.25 quarts over 7000 miles. They couldn't find any leaks so they set me up to do the oil consumption test "just to be sure" that nothing's going on. On the other hand, they're also telling me that it's designed to use some oil and that using 1 quart over 3000 miles is probably going to be within the normal, expected range. (That's why they last so long--the pistons stay nice and lubed. Yes, they actually said that.)

The oil consumption form takes them down a different path for using 1 qt/1000 miles vs. 1 qt/1000-3000 miles so it does look like that's what they're going to be telling me. In which case I'll be HUGELY disappointed. I thought Honda did a better job controlling their manufacturing variation but I'm seeing everything from zero oil usage to "OMIGOD Give the man a new set of pistons!" on this forum. (And don't blame it on the driver :) I've broken in five other new engines if you include my Honda motorcycle and none of them used oil. One of them now has 380K miles on the original engine and it didn't begin burning any oil until almost 200K miles.)

I agree, it sucks to see such a wide variance from dealership to dealership on how they're addressing things.

I think it just comes down to the fact Honda hasn't released any real information so most dealers are gonna tell you anything they can to avoid having the blame on them, or reimbursing you for a car that "consumes" oil. I'm hoping that Honda addresses this issue, regardless if its 1 qt every 1000 or more. I think as customers of Honda everyone with oil consumption issues should file a formal complaint and that should at least let Honda know that their consumers are un satisfied with their product.

Did they tell you to return after a certain set of miles to record your levels?
webby, he said to keep an eye on it. I know how to check the oil so I'm going to check it frequently and keep my fingers crossed.
I would think that this K24 engine should run perfect seeing as it's straight out of the Acura TSX and has been around for awhile. It's not a brand new, first time ever used style engine correct?

I changed my oil around 100 miles and at 2,500 miles I was down half a quart on my 2012 SI. That's about typical for a new engine. If it keeps up I'll be concerned but most people seem to stop having the oil usage by the time they get to 10,000 miles. My driving is mostly commuting with spurts of driving it hard.

Ok, after switching my service writer to someone a friend of mine (who works at the dealership) referred me to, I got some actual answers (sorta) from Honda. He said that although Honda claims 1qt every 1000 miles is ok, if the customer complains that they need to take action. He talked to Honda tech line and they have authorized him to do a bottom end rebuild, at the dealership. He didn't give me papers with all the info on it, but from what I saw and what we talked about its new piston design, new rings, new lower retainers (or something like that) and a few other parts. He will call me tomorrow with a list of parts that he will have to have installed.

Am I over reacting or not.. I don't want a dealership to take apart and put back together my engine. I know service techs get paid by the hour and have time guidelines and they have to finish by a certain time. I've been told that this type of mechanic usually rushes through things that should be more timely. And generally don't use torque wrenches so the factory spec torque might be off. I've never had experience like this so maybe someone can chime in if you have and let me know what you think I should do. I personally think Honda should replace the whole engine, but I would be surprised if they do.

And to make things even better, I'm getting a full race downpipe/exhaust installed tomorrow and when I need to take the car back to the dealer I hope this doesn't void me getting my oil consumption issue addressed. Thoughts?

are you in the vicinity to other dealers? If the tech is known for doing poor work, why is the person working there?

Hold off on the installation. (At least I would.)

I already dropped the car off at full race :0 ... But I'll ague tooth and nail with the service manager if I have to, since I have 3 documented times I've brought my car back to the dealer low on oil and it's been less than 4000 miles. But worse case scenario, it burns a lil oil... I can deal with that. As long as it wouldn't cause more problems I won't worry much.

are you in the vicinity to other dealers? If the tech is known for doing poor work, why is the person working there?

Yeah lots of dealerships in the phx area, but there's a lot of good people that work at this one, I just had a crappy service writer. As far as the mechanics (techs) go, I'm sure they're great at their jobs, ase certified and everything, but I've heard (from family involved in mechanical work) that techs that work for large companies tend to cut corners to make their time quota. Hoping someone else can tell me their experience with having a dealership rip apart their engine.. Lol.

from what I've seen the dealerships allow x time to do various jobs. Techs who've done various jobs over the years do them much faster than what it says it may take...because they've got experience. A tech not following the guidelines for doing the job should not be at the shop working. It's just going to mean additional visits from the customer, and it'll make the dealership/tech look bad. No dealership wants sloppy work done as it hurts their rep, and then you can file complaints with corporate.

Ok, so for the most part I shouldn't have any problems? Do you think I should push the replacement engine or just let them replace the bottom end?

I don't see them doing a full engine swap. If that is the case, you'll probably be back at square one (with the same original engine/pistons etc). I've only seen one person say they had the pistons and whatnot swapped, but they haven't said how it's doing yet with the new parts. Others have said their consumption has gone down or stopped once they had X miles on the car. You could wait a bit and see how your situation goes as well. All up to you.

Back