Coolant Bypass

Lol. Thermal gaskets do more than you think. I guess you need to do more research about thermal conductivity before saying negative comments without using actual proofs about it.
Considering there is a coolant passage through that gasket, and all the studs from the very hot head to intake manifold touch the manifold itself, a small gasket is not going to "insulate" all that heat away. On top of that, at WOT, you have an air flow (air is a terrible conductor of heat btw) moving so fast that it does not have time to "grab" any heat off of anything.

Last edited:
Considering there is a coolant passage through that gasket, and all the studs from the very hot head to intake manifold touch the manifold itself, a small gasket is not going to "insulate" all that heat away. On top of that, at WOT, you have an air flow (air is a terrible conductor of heat btw) moving so fast that it does not have time to "grab" any heat off of anything.

No one said anything about insulating all the heat away. Perfect insulation (adiabatic) DOESN'T exist inside an engine bay. But there is a significant insulation using thick plastic gaskets between two metals than using thin paper gaskets.

And to add, air doesn't cause conduction, but is convection. There's a difference between the two.

I forgot, I have pics of my coolant delete. I used 5/16" vacuum caps.

I capped the tb connections:

Top coolant connection:

Bottom coolant connection:

A slightly zoomed out picture(s) would be great to get some perspective in relation to where these locations are in general.

A slightly zoomed out picture(s) would be great to get some perspective in relation to where these locations are in general.
Sure. I'll try to get some pics for you.

I would like to do this, but it would definitely have to be reversible due to cold winters.
I'm sure it's simple to switch back. You're probably going to lose like a couple fluid oz of coolant. But that's about it.
IMG_0553.JPG
The connections capped are circled in red. There are two connections on the tb. The rubber vacuum caps were less than $3 shipped when I bought them. Now they are going for $7 shipped...

Has anyone actually measured the difference in IAT before/after or ran it on a dyno before/after? This would settle the argument (which is evident on other forums too) once and for all.

If I did this 'mod' when I had fp, then I would have been able to check. Lol.

So white size should the hose mender be for the two bypass hoses? This 100* south texas heat is perfect for this!

So white size should the hose mender be for the two bypass hoses? This 100* south texas heat is perfect for this!

I used the one that came in my Injen CAI kit.

Maybe you can get lucky and find the manual for it online and it will list parts. I'll try to go find my manual later if I get a chance.

Kirk

Sounds good bro I'd appreciate it. I'm going to hit up the injen website ASAP. I should be able to get the mender at work tomorrow along with the caps

I may be a little late to this parade but I thought the purpose of coolant was to prevent overheating not heat stuff up. I'd imagine in very hot weather the coolant running through the TB would actually maintain its temperature, not overheat it. It gets to around 110F during Summer in Texas and that's not taking into consideration the temperature of the pavement itself. With little to no airflow going through the engine bay at idle, the combination of very hot ambient temperatures combined with already hot engine bay temps, I could see coolant going through the TB as beneficial not detrimental. If the coolant got so hot that you're worrying about high IAT's, I'd be more worried about the engine.

Last edited:
I may be a little late to this parade but I thought the purpose of coolant was to prevent overheating not heat stuff up. I'd imagine in very hot weather the coolant running through the TB would actually maintain its temperature, not overheat it. It gets to around 110F during Summer in Texas and that's not taking into consideration the temperature of the pavement itself. With little to no airflow going through the engine bay at idle, the combination of very hot ambient temperatures combined with already hot engine bay temps, I could see coolant going through the TB as beneficial not detrimental. If the coolant got so hot that you're worrying about high IAT's, I'd be more worried about the engine.
Interesting. I've been against the concept of this mod for a while but I did not think about idling. Definitely could see the benefits of coolant there. Coolant has been touching throttle bodies for a long time now, I don't think it's just some stupid way to achieve fuel economy.

Back