May 2015 Non-Dragon Official Business Thread

Well if you hang where we'll be, you could try out some other roads. @Nix has some really good stuff cooking.

Reactions: Nix
You might also want to run Back of the Dragon (Route 16) in Marion, VA. That's 32 miles of great road, three mountains and lots of curves. Makes for a nice midpoint stop on the way to the Dragon.

Last edited:
It is pretty nice, definitely some challenging segments, but i dont like that parts of it are residential with driveways off it. Fortunately the fun parts dont have driveways and intersections

probably not till may when i have another surgery, but im hoping to get cleared to start driving again by the end of the month.

It is pretty nice, definitely some challenging segments, but i dont like that parts of it are residential with driveways off it. Fortunately the fun parts dont have driveways and intersections
Yeah, it's 'interesting' (and I came down through the 270 degree switchback one day and did the right onto the valley straight and there was a prison work van and a bunch of "ladies" picking up trash. Made an interesting (puckered) moment.) I've been lucky in that I've never had anyone decide to back out of one of those driveways.

I've heard of that. Suppose to be a nice road and not a cop magnet like the Dragon.

And only 30 minutes from Damascus and The Snake.

@Nix I'm planning on coming towards the end of the week, will only plan on staying prob 21-24th because I want to save time off for Sept. (if I'm still working my current job). I don't think I can handle a week of constant driving.

I have a crapload of parts and a set of 225/45R16 Star Specs to throw at the RS this year, decided to keep it another year or so and have more fun at the dragon. I already put some goodies on it over the winter in order to improve the handling even more.

A friend wants to come with me and run the dragon at least once to say he did it before deployment.

@Nix I'm planning on coming towards the end of the week, will only plan on staying prob 21-24th because I want to save time off for Sept. (if I'm still working my current job). I don't think I can handle a week of constant driving.

I have a crapload of parts and a set of 225/45R16 Star Specs to throw at the RS this year, decided to keep it another year or so and have more fun at the dragon. I already put some goodies on it over the winter in order to improve the handling even more.

A friend wants to come with me and run the dragon at least once to say he did it before deployment.

@death_roll : Awesome man! Thats great. We are leaving on the 23rd from the house we rented. You can definitely stay an extra day you would just need to find lodging for that evening.

@death_roll : Awesome man! Thats great. We are leaving on the 23rd from the house we rented. You can definitely stay an extra day you would just need to find lodging for that evening.

Where is it at? I need to get at least one day on the dragon to settle a score with someone I know, but I'll deal with that come time. I was probably going to pull an all night drive again on the 20th and arrive early morning 5/21.

I believe this is the address:

71 S Toe River Rd, Burnsville, NC 28714

It's a 30 minute drive over to the Diamondback loop. Morning runs and such could be pretty good. Never had a chance to venture over this far to explore the roads but they were highly recommended by the guy who makes the "america rides" maps that everyone always has. The Diamondback got repaved last year about this time and the guy said to wait at least 6 months before attempting it to let the new pavement settle and be less greasy. It should be ideal conditions. Hopefully its as awesome as he described.

Also a short shot over to the 215/276 Waynesville loop. 1:30 minutes to Bogarts restaurant in Waynesville. This should totally be a late morning drive over, get lunch, run the loop, chill, head back and relax.

It is nearly 3 hours to Fontana. Just as a convenient reference point. Considering some of the longer 8+ hour GA drives in the past it would be a long day but Dragon runs for a day are totally do able.

There has also been a major F-up at my work and I might not be able to come. Frigginretardsdamnit..... however, the house rental is final and the trip is still on.

There has also been a major F-up at my work and I might not be able to come. Frigginretardsdamnit..... however, the house rental is final and the trip is still on.

squeezeme.png

Back