Official 'What did you do to your car today?' Thread

Similar yes, here is mine.
image0.jpg

image1.jpg

For whatever reason, my browser won't load the pictures you included-- it just has red X's in place of them. :(

From the link that our local polymath @webby posted, it looks like the point of contention might be the surrounding clips afterward. I'm not sure if those can be put back on after undoing them without some sort of adhesive.

For whatever reason, my browser won't load the pictures you included-- it just has red X's in place of them. :(

From the link that our local polymath @webby posted, it looks like the point of contention might be the surrounding clips afterward. I'm not sure if those can be put back on after undoing them without some sort of adhesive.
I think it was on my end, but the white tabs you showed are the same as the ones I see, just black. The link webby posted is spot on as always and the OP of the thread mentioned epoxy and plastic welding, but I might try the lath screws. Wish there was a photo showing that process, but hopefully I can figure it out without putting a hole through anything. If anything I'm just trying to figure it out and set it aside for the time being.

well i pulled the trigger on them. love how they look on my car however i need to raise the rear a half inch :oops:

Attachments

• C8E6A5F1-6DA8-48CC-BA86-B317CF098824.jpeg
    C8E6A5F1-6DA8-48CC-BA86-B317CF098824.jpeg
    141.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 23F4459C-9BE3-4630-97F9-D01D992CB24D.jpeg
    23F4459C-9BE3-4630-97F9-D01D992CB24D.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 25
Tried to pull my steering wheel emblem off today to put something different on it since it looked like crap. Something went completely wrong for me, after I got it off the car won't start. There's an odd smell in the car now also almost like something has shorted out. I can jump the car off, but when the AC kicks on it resets the radio or if I blip the gas it'll happen also. Anyone know what I screwed up on my car to make it do this?

And you didn’t touch any wiring? Did you check the fuses under the dash or in the engine bay to see if any were bad

No wiring that i know of unless there's some right behind the emblem that I didn't see. Haven't checked any fuses yet. Got it running and moved it out of the way and had to leave.

Tried to pull my steering wheel emblem off today to put something different on it since it looked like crap. Something went completely wrong for me, after I got it off the car won't start. There's an odd smell in the car now also almost like something has shorted out. I can jump the car off, but when the AC kicks on it resets the radio or if I blip the gas it'll happen also. Anyone know what I screwed up on my car to make it do this?

Oh no!

The only thing I can think of is that part of the car's immobilizer may have gotten popped somehow -- the symptoms are similar. The chip for Civics rests right above the ignition, but some of the wiring routs through the wheel, if I'm not mistaken. I'd check the interior/exterior fuse boxes first, though. Nothing sits right behind the emblem besides the airbag/bag housing, but some wires are nestled right behind it. Maybe some wire touched some sort of thing by accident?

Jumping the car off is what a lot of people wind up doing if their immobilizers act up in an emergency --Me included at one time. When it fails normally, it's usually the key-side chip that triggers it; A green key icon would light up on the dash for this occurrence. Since this sounds more like an electrical short, that probably won't be the case. This is all just speculation of course, but maybe it will help? :itsme:

Here's some videos to explain how the technology works, and what it does when it doesn't work.

Oh no!

The only thing I can think of is that part of the car's immobilizer may have gotten popped somehow -- the symptoms are similar. The chip for Civics rests right above the ignition, but some of the wiring routs through the wheel, if I'm not mistaken. I'd check the interior/exterior fuse boxes first, though. Nothing sits right behind the emblem besides the airbag/bag housing, but some wires are nestled right behind it. Maybe some wire touched some sort of thing by accident?

Jumping the car off is what a lot of people wind up doing if their immobilizers act up in an emergency --Me included at one time. When it fails normally, a green key icon will light up on the dash. Since this sounds more like an electrical short, that probably won't be the case. This is all just speculation of course, but maybe it will help? :itsme:

Here's some videos to explain how the technology works, and what it does when it doesn't work.

Thanks I'll check out the videos in a little while. There's no lights that stay on once the car is running.

Thanks I'll check out the videos in a little while. There's no lights that stay on once the car is running.

Chances are that the system still checks-in just fine as far as recognizing the chips, but whatever process that is supposed to relay the signal onward after that seems to be acting weird. I'm hoping it's just some interior fuse or something.

So guess I should have checked the obvious first. Took the battery and had it checked. Had 10 CCA. Guess it was a coincidence that it decided to die while I was messing with something. It was an optima yellow top and from what I can remember it lasted around 7 years. Guess I got my money's worth on it. Went back with just a standard battery this time.

So guess I should have checked the obvious first. Took the battery and had it checked. Had 10 CCA. Guess it was a coincidence that it decided to die while I was messing with something. It was an optima yellow top and from what I can remember it lasted around 7 years. Guess I got my money's worth on it. Went back with just a standard battery this time.

I'm glad it was just coincidental maintenance; May I ask what regular battery you chose? I'm probably getting close to having to get a fresh one, too.

Back