Anyone tried the K&N Drop-in filter?

Ok, filter is officially picked up and in the car. It sounds sort of like a toned down version of the AEM short-ram I had on the RSX-S (not as noticable, but you do hear a difference and its got a similar sound). I'll keep an eye on my gas mileage too and see if that changes over the next little bit. As long as it doesn't get worse I'm good to go, lol.
Do you happen to remember the part #, because there seems to be more than one at my local parts store that fits from K&N

Do you happen to remember the part #, because there seems to be more than one at my local parts store that fits from K&N
Yep, 33-2473 is the one I ordered (like Webby said). It's for the Si, not sure if there is a difference for non-Si's or if the same filter would fit though.

Yep, 33-2473 is the one I ordered (like Webby said). It's for the Si, not sure if there is a difference for non-Si's or if the same filter would fit though.
Cool, thanks. Yeah I have a '12 Si. Black with HFP Aero Kit :thumb:

Just got my K&N drop in.. I guess it's good? Don't really hear or feel anything different... :hmmm?:
535916_10150659635327675_655232674_9713642_1479062374_n.jpg

I got mine two days ago, and I noticed a little more noticeable crossover with VTEC, but its only a drop in filter, not an SRI or CAI.

I got mine two days ago, and I noticed a little more noticeable crossover with VTEC, but its only a drop in filter, not an SRI or CAI.
A short ram on the Si's would give you more of the sound but it's a waste when you consider that the stock setup is already made to try and bring in some cooler air from below (similar to a CAI would in that respect) where as an aftermarket SRI would be taking in warmer air from up top. I agree though, you notice a bit of a difference in the sound with the filter when you step on it but nothing astronomical.

Yep, I didn't have high expectations. It was the easiest and cheapest thing to do for the time being until I decide what to do intake wise.

Yep, I didn't have high expectations. It was the easiest and cheapest thing to do for the time being until I decide what to do intake wise.
Haha, yeah... the aftermarket-market is pretty limited for our cars at the moment, lol. :confused:

soon!.. mid april for the injen cai - they emailed me today.

Haha, yeah... the aftermarket-market is pretty limited for our cars at the moment, lol. :confused:
What you said earlier got me thinking..so I went and got rid of the resonator on the intake. It sounds really good. I'll post a couple pics and maybe a sound clip probably tomorrow. I was wondering if there are any negative points to getting rid of it.

What you said earlier got me thinking..so I went and got rid of the resonator on the intake. It sounds really good. I'll post a couple pics and maybe a sound clip probably tomorrow. I was wondering if there are any negative points to getting rid of it.
I'm not sure if there would be many neg side effects or not. Let me know if you discover any!

I'm not sure if there would be many neg side effects or not. Let me know if you discover any!
So far driven a little over 50 miles. No dash lights on and still idling silky smooth.

Won't see any bad effects from removing the resonator. Many 8thgens did it and you basically created a T1R intake.(stock airbox with an air scoop attached)

Ok, so technically it isn't a "bolt-on", it's a "drop-in"... but I'm wondering if anyone has tried the K&N drop-in filters on their 2012 Si? http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2473

Any difference/improvements when using it (whether it be fuel economy or power related)? I heard that they were supposed to be pretty good compared to OEM but curious to see if anyone has actually bought one.

Sorry about this in advance and I know that I will NOT be popular as many K&N fans are very passionate in their faith in this product - but I have had bad experience with them.

K&Ns, and others like them, flow very well when other normal filters get dirty and clogged - that is because they do not actually do much filtering!

I ran one for just 3 weeks in clean city environments and then went to a track day where my porblems was super high oil temperatures. So the next day I drained the oil and just for interest sake on overheated oil sent an oil sample to a friend who was dating the only oil analyst in town (nothing like having free oil anaylsis service!). She phoned me immediately to tell me that I had an air filter breach and that she had found large amounts of silica sand in my oil and found bits of worn chrome steel etc. etc. I immediately inspected my filter installation and found that the filter lip seals mated the filtter housing well - so where was the dirt getting in? I then inspected the K&N very carefully by holding it up in front of a light and folded out one of the pleets - and could just not believe my eyes - it has absolutley nothing to stop dust. Sure with the pleets all folded in the jig-jag pattern they look good - but have a close look and you will be shocked.

Oh, all my friends give me theories on how poorly I oied the filter - but seriously, a 2 liter engine running at 6000rpm pulls in about 3000 liters of air a minute (cause its a 4 stroke) and so just how many minutes or hours do you think that the oil will stay on the filter's cotton threads.

Don't believe me? O.K. - next time you are about to oil yours - spend 20 seconds holding it up in front of a light and fold out one of the pleets and decide for yourself.

I will never again use them nor any other brand that does not claim any filtration properties. To their credit, K&N make many claims about flow but none on filtration. [Injen now seem to have a filter that they do make filtration claims and I would like to look at one of those.]

I also concur on the dyno results - we once had a customer's car on a dyno and found that was short of a few horsepower right at the top of its rev band. We found a slightly dirty OEM filter so removed it and the power was back to where it should be. The owner had a K&N and requested we try it - obviously there was no improvement (you cannot improve on an open air intake). We then persuaded him to try a brand new OEM paper filtter and guess what ?- it still made the same full power. Problem is that a lot of fiilter and housings are made rather small and do get dirty quickly to the point of starting to block flow. Remember its not likely to affect anything a low revs (unless its absolutely filthy!) - so probaably the best is just to keep replacing filters whenever they look dirty.

O.K. so now to sit back and wait for the incriminations.......just remember I am just telling of my bad experience - its a warning to those that may choose to listen.......and just for the record I do not currently work in the auto supply industry - I am just a driving enthusiast or "petrol head" as the English like to say and yes, I just cannot wait for my newly ordered 2012 Si Sedan to arrive - scheduled to be built next week!

first off - welcome to the site. I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to on k&n?
Our actual air filters when tested generally demonstrate a cumulative filtration efficiency of between 96% and 99%.
http://www.knfilters.com/efficiency_testing.htm (maybe not?)

bobistheoilguy did a test between a bunch of filters years back - if you want to take a read
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/airfilter/airtest1.htm
follow the links at the bottom of that page to see the comparison testing between brands.

I'm not cheerleading for one brand over another. Sorry to see you had issues

Back