3M Paint Defender. Liquid Clear Bra?

I saw the sources of the studies, but respect is earned, not given. OP did not respect my words, twisting them to fit a narrative, so I gave a well-reasoned reply. If your point is that we should all be respectful here, I understand. If it is to line up behind OP on the science, I get that, too. Thanks Squiggy.

Sorry for the late reply, but it's been a busy couple of days.

If I misread the tone of your post, I apologize. However, it did impress me as being more than a bit snarky, WRT the government clamping down on the use of lead in various products, followed by the statement that it was "PC run amok". So, which of my statements was "idiotic"? That arsenic is natural? That you shouldn't ingest it? That there is evidence that environmental lead exposure correlates with violent behavior? That lead is bad for the environment? How was I "twisting your words to fit a narrative"? Now, *I'm* confused!

Seriously, your post made it sound like you think that government restrictions on the use of lead was an arbitrary, political decision, with no benefit to anyone. I think the idea that chronic lead exposure could be a significant factor in violent, criminal behavior is interesting, and thought others here might find it interesting, as well. Since you opened the door, I thought it was a good opportunity to share the link.

Reactions: Nix
Sorry for the late reply, but it's been a busy couple of days.

If I misread the tone of your post, I apologize. However, it did impress me as being more than a bit snarky, WRT the government clamping down on the use of lead in various products, followed by the statement that it was "PC run amok". So, which of my statements was "idiotic"? That arsenic is natural? That you shouldn't ingest it? That there is evidence that environmental lead exposure correlates with violent behavior? That lead is bad for the environment? How was I "twisting your words to fit a narrative"? Now, *I'm* confused!

Seriously, your post made it sound like you think that government restrictions on the use of lead was an arbitrary, political decision, with no benefit to anyone. I think the idea that chronic lead exposure could be a significant factor in violent, criminal behavior is interesting, and thought others here might find it interesting, as well. Since you opened the door, I thought it was a good opportunity to share the link.
No problem. Next time you want to direct readers to something that you find interesting, please do it without quoting me, or you risk a pointed response. It's all good from my end. And from yours too, I'm sure. :bighug:

Reactions: Nix
Sorry to resurrect an old post. Wanted to share my experience. My wife backed into my car today and this is the result with the clear bra on

20140126_101623_zpsf57023af.jpg

20140126_101646_zps3990756f.jpg

Peeling
20140126_101725_zps7c8c4462.jpg

Some on the edge. But polished out
20140126_102317_zps3f074a2c.jpg

Pretty happy with that. The grill got busted but better than re painting a bumper. Just waste time to remove the bumper and peel and reapply.

wow... testament to it working! 3m would probably like those pics

Very nice. It's like the bumper wasn't even hit. :thumb:

OMFG SOMEONE GUY THIS GUY A COOKIE!!!!! I was searching hours for how this product works with swipes. :) Im buying this asap. How many coats did you apply? Did you do it thick or
how 3m tells you?

You just saved me close to 120 bucks

Sorry to resurrect an old post. Wanted to share my experience. My wife backed into my car today and this is the result with the clear bra on

Peeling

Pretty happy with that. The grill got busted but better than re painting a bumper. Just waste time to remove the bumper and peel and reapply.

OMFG SOMEONE GUY THIS GUY A COOKIE!!!!! I was searching hours for how this product works with swipes. :) Im buying this asap. How many coats did you apply? Did you do it thick or
how 3m tells you?

You just saved me close to 120 bucks

Sorry for the late reply. in short i have sprayed the front 3 times now. the first time i did the hood side mirrors and bumper using 1 can.

the thing is sure you can get enough coverage with that but if you don't get it on THICK, when you peel it off it wont come off as a single sheet and ends up being a pain. the first spray i removed i ended up just taking it to a coin operated car wash and sprayed it off with the high pressure hose. because i didn't get it think enough i had to come home and remove the rest by hand. so the 1 can for the bumper is correct. you can do the leading edge of the hood and the side mirrors but i wouldn't try to do much else. i would recommend taking the bumper off when you spray the bumper as i cant imagine getting this stuff in your condenser coil/radiator.

i think all said and done its probably 5-6 coats. i just pretty much spray on as many coats until i run out. you'll look like you have way too much but it will dry and shrink.

is 120 for a film clear bra? there are down sides to this spray on too as it gets dirty and you will have to reapply every year. by dirty i mean after a while you can sort of see bug/dirt spots in there and there is a texture differences. where you can get your paint completely clean you dont want to try too hard on the clear bra otherwise you may peel it off.

thanks!

Sorry for the late reply. in short i have sprayed the front 3 times now. the first time i did the hood side mirrors and bumper using 1 can.

the thing is sure you can get enough coverage with that but if you don't get it on THICK, when you peel it off it wont come off as a single sheet and ends up being a pain. the first spray i removed i ended up just taking it to a coin operated car wash and sprayed it off with the high pressure hose. because i didn't get it think enough i had to come home and remove the rest by hand. so the 1 can for the bumper is correct. you can do the leading edge of the hood and the side mirrors but i wouldn't try to do much else. i would recommend taking the bumper off when you spray the bumper as i cant imagine getting this stuff in your condenser coil/radiator.

i think all said and done its probably 5-6 coats. i just pretty much spray on as many coats until i run out. you'll look like you have way too much but it will dry and shrink.

is 120 for a film clear bra? there are down sides to this spray on too as it gets dirty and you will have to reapply every year. by dirty i mean after a while you can sort of see bug/dirt spots in there and there is a texture differences. where you can get your paint completely clean you dont want to try too hard on the clear bra otherwise you may peel it off.

thanks!

Thanks man, So I should do this process?

1st go left to right
2nd up and down
3rd right to left
4th up and down
5th left to right
6th up and down
7th right to left

Doing it this way will it be nice and protected? Is there any down sides of doing too much coats? How many cans do you except me to use, doing it this manor?

I'm willing to change this every every year or every 6 months because i park in NYC (queens) and people in queens are *******************************(fill in what ever ill-language you want). I would rather pay 28 bucks a can or 60 bucks for 2 cans and coat my rear bumper once a year, then have wait 5 hours for install and also lose time setting up an appointment every year to fix everything.
It cost 195 just to clear bar a bumper with a 6in film but it protects the living hell out of it. I was side swiped a couple of times and it only went through the clear, thank god. I'm willing to do 7 or 8 coats to get that clear bar protection (similar to what you had, maybe a little thicker)

Pm. One of the sideswipes was my dad, I'm never parking in my parents driveway again,

for the rear bumper 1 can should be enough. i don't do my rear, just the hood, bumper and the side mirrors. the rear bumper is about the size of the front so 1 is plenty.

your process sounds good, not sure if you will get 7 coats on but i would say more than 5 is good and you should get that for sure. after you spray it make sure the room is clean while it dries. the first hood i did a big landed on it and i had to pick it out - luckily caught it before it dried.

i don't think there is a down side to being too thick - just make sure you allow the proper drying time between coats. or it will run. this last one i did was getting late so i sprayed to try to use the last of the can a little too fast and on the bottom of the bumper (i had the bumper off and on a table pointed up) there were runs. since this is the bottom of the car i didn't care but its a lessons learned for next time. the thing about this is after you apply it it will look like crap and you will think you made a mistake looking at the texture. when it dries the texture improves and will look like a normal clear bra.

also i feel like i got lucky this time, my wife backed up into me hard enough to crack 3/4 of my grill mounting tabs. Prior to this the only damage was running over a tire chunk on the HWY and it certainly went through the clear bra/paint - so its only good for so much.

Thanks man, So I should do this process?

1st go left to right
2nd up and down
3rd right to left
4th up and down
5th left to right
6th up and down
7th right to left

Doing it this way will it be nice and protected? Is there any down sides of doing too much coats? How many cans do you except me to use, doing it this manor?

I'm willing to change this every every year or every 6 months because i park in NYC (queens) and people in queens are *******************************(fill in what ever ill-language you want). I would rather pay 28 bucks a can or 60 bucks for 2 cans and coat my rear bumper once a year, then have wait 5 hours for install and also lose time setting up an appointment every year to fix everything.
It cost 195 just to clear bar a bumper with a 6in film but it protects the living hell out of it. I was side swiped a couple of times and it only went through the clear, thank god. I'm willing to do 7 or 8 coats to get that clear bar protection (similar to what you had, maybe a little thicker)

Pm. One of the sideswipes was my dad, I'm never parking in my parents driveway again,

Also. Been talking to a 3m customer service about some texture on it after it dried. For winter and low temps it may take up to 2-4 days to cure. Less when it is hot. When I did my hood it cured hard in 24 hours but that was in the summer. This time around I let it sit for 24 and went out and drove and looks like I picked up some moisture and shrinkage from the temp. 3m is great and sending me a replacement but wanted to serve as a lessons learned so you don't waste time re applying. I will probably reapply in the summer.

Looks nice. Here is a pic of my Civic Si with 3m clear bra installed. It's clear but if get up close you can see the seams to the bra. I would prefer no seams at all but considering the alternative to chips from road debris, there is no option in my mind. I'll invest in the bra. If the spray is cheaper and it's fairly invisible, get it.
4y6uzyha.jpg
2emupavu.jpg

Looks nice. Here is a pic of my Civic Si with 3m clear bra installed. It's clear but if get up close you can see the seams to the bra. I would prefer no seams at all but considering the alternative to chips from road debris, there is no option in my mind. I'll invest in the bra. If the spray is cheaper and it's fairly invisible, get it.

Peeling

Nice!! Sorry that your baby got hit, but that clear bra really was a great investment! I also have 3m clear bra on my front bumper, quarter panel, hood and the headlights. I really want to do the rear bumper and my rims as well.

Back